Author Topic: Postal entries  (Read 908 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Postal entries
« on: 25 October, 2023, 01:26:01 pm »
what are they? I found the button to switch them off in Event Planner. (in the Edit Paypal section thanks Adamski!) Now I've disabled them and don't publish a phone number I don't know what's going to appear in Arrivee which I assume is the only luddite digitally challenged way of finding the event....

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Postal entries
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2023, 02:02:09 pm »
They're a rare, cherished and somewhat idiosyncratic way of entering an event. I was delighted to receive one this year after four versions of my events.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2023, 05:09:50 pm »
I was one of the first Orgs to roll out PayPal in the late Noughties. It still took several years for postal entries to dry up and I suspect there may still be some sitting at a previous address....

just looked at my cheque book, the only cheques I wrote in the last 5 years were to AUK for validation fees (now done via PayPal)

« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2023, 08:52:09 pm »
I remember riding audax as a lad with my dad back in the 90s, my enduring memory was the entering by cheque, brevet cards and route cards.  On returning to complete my first audax I loved the fact I could pull the old cheque book out and that there wasn’t a reliance on technology.  I just tried riding with a route card again the other week rather than a gps, it was a fun experience.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2023, 10:30:24 am »
I have not received a postal entry for several years. 

Cheques have become a complete PITA to manage.  With bank branches few and far between, the only alternative are apps which barely work.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

felstedrider

« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2023, 10:39:16 am »
I remember the stack of SAEs and entry forms knocking around my spare bedroom.

I used to pay the cheques in in one go at a branch of Lloyds near the office, usually sneaking out before the lunchtime rush.   They absolutely loved counting 100+ cheques for £6.50.   I've not organised for an awfully long time, though.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2023, 10:54:14 am »
I have not received a postal entry for several years. 

Cheques have become a complete PITA to manage.  With bank branches few and far between, the only alternative are apps which barely work.
I found the halifax app works fine, photograph the cheque and submit online, so much better than having to find time to get to a bank during opening hours.

Eddington  127miles, 170km