Author Topic: Turbo / smart trainers - what to buy and what to avoid.  (Read 13251 times)

Re: Turbo / smart trainers - what to buy and what to avoid.
« Reply #125 on: 05 December, 2020, 06:22:38 pm »
But the NUC’s are just nice things!! I haven’t found an excuse for another, but...

Nuc's are very nice and I found a fanless case to transplant it into which is very slim and would look nice under the TV, but, we have two decent pc's and a tablet would get much more use from me as well as from turbo use.  It sort of makes sense really.

« Reply #126 on: 09 December, 2020, 10:12:33 am »
Gah!  We've fallen foul of the Curry's PC World Black Friday "technical issues" and it looks like our order for the tablet is unlikely to be fulfilled.  Of course in legal terms they can squirm out as there is never an obligation to sell as such but though they claim technical issues their website pricing is not a clear and obvious error and it is still current up there for the world to see.  Advertising something at such a price to fish for custom is of course illegal but I doubt that any action or sanction will befall them.

Oh well, another retailer to put on my black list.   

« Reply #127 on: 09 December, 2020, 08:33:39 pm »
Gah!  We've fallen foul of the Curry's PC World Black Friday "technical issues" and it looks like our order for the tablet is unlikely to be fulfilled.  Of course in legal terms they can squirm out as there is never an obligation to sell as such but though they claim technical issues their website pricing is not a clear and obvious error and it is still current up there for the world to see.  Advertising something at such a price to fish for custom is of course illegal but I doubt that any action or sanction will befall them.

Currys PC World agrees to honour Black Friday prices of cancelled orders
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #128 on: 10 December, 2020, 07:50:36 am »

Unfortunately we bought after their stipulated cutoff date so we are not included.  Their offer was still on the website yesterday but they have finally taken it down today.  Yesterday I tried to buy again but guess what?  Yep, unable to complete the transaction.

Samsung has it's usual seasonal refund scheme running at the moment and we had hoped to get both the back Friday discount and the Samsung refund but we'll have to settle for just the Samsung refund.  As the price is the same everywhere there is no need to patronise CPCW.

« Reply #129 on: 10 December, 2020, 09:17:20 am »

My mum worked for Trading Standards and we were never allowed to buy anything from Currys because of the amount of complaints she received.

« Reply #130 on: 10 December, 2020, 09:27:17 am »
This does not surprise me.  When I was doing the pro bond clinic many clients had issues with them.  They are not unique of course.

« Reply #131 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:07:14 pm »

My mum worked for Trading Standards and we were never allowed to buy anything from Currys because of the amount of complaints she received.

How are you getting on with your Kickr Core?  mllePB's arrived this week.  It's her Christmas pressie so it's not set up yet but I guess that it probably will be before Christmas Day.

« Reply #132 on: 10 December, 2020, 02:27:35 pm »

Unfortunately we bought after their stipulated cutoff date so we are not included.  Their offer was still on the website yesterday but they have finally taken it down today.  Yesterday I tried to buy again but guess what?  Yep, unable to complete the transaction.

Samsung has it's usual seasonal refund scheme running at the moment and we had hoped to get both the back Friday discount and the Samsung refund but we'll have to settle for just the Samsung refund.  As the price is the same everywhere there is no need to patronise CPCW.

Bought one from John Lewis online for the same price as CPCW were pretending to sell it and we can still claim the Samsung cashback on top.  That's my Christmas pressie sorted and everything we need to get the turbo up and running.   

« Reply #133 on: 10 December, 2020, 03:15:02 pm »

How are you getting on with your Kickr Core?  mllePB's arrived this week.  It's her Christmas pressie so it's not set up yet but I guess that it probably will be before Christmas Day.

Really well. I just had to get an ANT+ dongle to make the Macbook connect more reliably but all fine apart from that.

« Reply #134 on: 10 December, 2020, 04:55:41 pm »
That's good. 👍

« Reply #135 on: 11 December, 2020, 03:00:10 pm »
John Lewis delivered where CPCW failed.  I have  been checking it and setting it up.  I am using it now.  Lurvly!!!

« Reply #136 on: 12 December, 2020, 07:44:43 am »
So, a whole week later and mysteriously CPCW have decided to send me an email suggesting that they are now processing my order for free delivery for any day except Friday Dec 11th December.  The email is timed at 03:01 12th December.  D'oh!

Anyway, I have an order number but nothing else and the order number is completely ignored by their own Track My Order process which is accessed by a button on the email.  It goes to their website but entering details results in, well, a page reset.

The one useful bit of information is how I can return the item and if I paid by PayPal which I did, I can get a full refund. 

Let's see how this one goes, eh?

« Reply #137 on: 13 December, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
Do you know the courier and tracking number? I’ve had ones where the link went to the wrong page, but the tracking number was correct.

« Reply #138 on: 14 December, 2020, 08:46:43 am »
This is CPCW's own tracking system.  They have acknowledged the order but nothing more from them.  I have little expectation of the order being processed this side of 2021, if ever.

« Reply #139 on: 15 December, 2020, 05:44:07 pm »
Completely unsurprisingly, CPCW has now cancelled my order.  Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ are no longer available for delivery apparently unless I go and order one now costing £80 more.

Just as well then that John Lewis were able to honour our order and did so with absolutely no fuss.   Their loss now and in future.  I'll not waste time and money with them ever again.

« Reply #140 on: 19 December, 2020, 09:58:12 am »
Had serious problem with them when we bought a cooker.  Sadly they don't have enough competition since Comet* went.  In York Comet were nearly next door to Currys.

* Wiki says "The UK Computer Group bought the rights to the Comet brand and the website from the liquidators Deloitte in December 2019.[80] In July 2020, they promised a relaunch on social media.[citation needed] In August 2020 the Comet website was relaunched as a trading name of Misco Technologies.[81] All former Comet stores remain closed and there are no known plans to reopen any physical locations.[82]"

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #141 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:16:59 am »
If anybody is still looking Sigma Sports have just emailed me to tell me that the Waboo Kickr Core is back in stock.