Author Topic: Eddie Izzard marathon man  (Read 7562 times)

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
Eddie Izzard marathon man
« on: 05 March, 2010, 11:55:08 am »
Eddie Izzard Marathon man. I'm not a fan but found this show an inspiration and admire him hugely for what he achieved here.

Re: Eddie Izzard marathon man
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:57:35 am »

I caught the last 10 minutes of this.

God, that guy can dig deep. An amazing feat.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:03:21 pm »
Amazing, I love his standup too.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
True grit from an unlikely source I thought.

Really enjoyed the program (especially as he was on some of my local roads from Basingstoke to Wiltshire)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:39:52 pm »
True grit from an unlikely source I thought.

I dunno.  Any bloke who wears a dress has got to be pretty tough.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2010, 04:07:24 pm »
He almost gained a Forrest Gump-like  critical mass of followers.  :)  An amazing effort.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:19:57 pm »
I had a lump in my throat watching this, how he completed those 9 straight marathons I do not know. Amazing.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »
I loved it too. That was just the first instalment wasn't it? Another 34 marathons to go and his body is already falling apart. I can't imagine how he did it. I love the fact that he could take time off to serve ice creams and drink a couple of pints in Devizes, much to the concern of the support crew.  ;D

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:10:32 pm »
Think he might fancy trying LEL next time round?  On a unicycle.  Piece of cake after that.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #9 on: 06 March, 2010, 01:30:50 pm »
I was very impressed when I heard that he ran all those marathons.
Now that I know how little preperation he had, I'm even more impressed.
In spite of what the experts were telling him on the programme (I think that there was a bit of TV story hyping going on to make it more of a story), I think he did the right thing by doing his own thing. I often found it very funny.
Eddie Izz-ard :thumbsup:

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »
I was very impressed when I heard that he ran all those marathons.
Now that I know how little preperation he had, I'm even more impressed.
In spite of what the experts were telling him on the programme (I think that there was a bit of TV story hyping going on to make it more of a story), I think he did the right thing by doing his own thing. I often found it very funny.
Eddie Izz-ard :thumbsup:

Teethgrinder, after your Arrivee account of your audax season a couple of years ago, I'd have liked to have seen a fly in the wall documentary of that!

« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2010, 06:21:46 pm »
I was very impressed by him too.  Looks like he's stepping up to the 'national comedic treasure' position occupied by Stephen Fry.  But the whole thing was very low-key at the time, wasn't it?  I don't remember news reports of his progress, just a local paper report when he was round here - the first I'd heard of what he was doing - and a brief report on BBC news when he'd finished.  Maybe he wanted it that way in case he failed.

I didn't know he'd been brought up in Skewen - just 3 or 4 miles from here.  I gained the impression that a lot of what makes him what he is derives from the death of his mother when he was so young. 

« Reply #12 on: 06 March, 2010, 08:42:30 pm »
I see the program is on iPlayer, but I haven't watched it yet.

I do quite like him, since he does seem to be a genuine eccentric, and comes across as a nice guy.  I've got a couple of his shows somewhere, either on DVD or CD.  I forget which, which means I haven't watched them recently, so ought to dig them out.
Actually, it is rocket science.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #13 on: 06 March, 2010, 09:10:44 pm »
Wow. It's just weird that he can keep on running them day after day and even on his rest day doing a fifteen mile walk.  :thumbsup:

Through the Wales bit my dad was interrupting with "I rode up that hill / ate in that cafe on <insert Audax ride here>".   ;D

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 07 March, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »
I followed it all on twitter when he was doing it.  This kind of thing is what twitter's great for.  I remember him twittering about going for runs along the Thames and posting pics, and being a little surprised that he was out running.  It was only later that I found out why he'd been doing the training.  Truly amazing achievement.

As for being tough to wear a dress, he was beaten up outside the Corn Exchange in Cambridge after a show.  Lovely place, Cambridge.  ::-)

« Reply #15 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:22:28 pm »
I just watched the first programme, and that was interesting, and made me feel a little exhausted just watching it!

It was amusing with the Doctor at the start, when he realised what he was planning on doing, and how much preparation time he had. All the people I've known who have run one marathon have generally spent more time preparing themselves for it.

Given how much practise he seems to have done (or rather not done), it's amazing that he did it.  He clearly had a very bloody minded attitude to doing it, and as one of the guys said, doing these sort of events is very much about the psychology of it.

Having said that, there's also no doubt that without people treating his feet and legs, there's no way he would have got around.  Most of us do an event like a Marathon, and then collapse for a day (or week!) to recover.  He didn't have that option, but having experts on hand to drain your blisters, wrap your feet in bandages, and massage your painful muscles, has to be very useful in such a situation!

It was also amusing when at the end, where the Rickshaw ran out of battery power and omph (I would suspect it was damned heavy with the film crew on board), and they ended up with some runners carrying the camera for them. ;D

A damned impressive, and somewhat nutty achievement.  I'll definitely have to watch the remaining episodes.

« Reply #16 on: 07 March, 2010, 11:30:59 pm »
Inspirational. What a man. I wanna do something like that, but I don't think I've got the balls  :(
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #17 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »
Having said that, there's also no doubt that without people treating his feet and legs, there's no way he would have got around.  Most of us do an event like a Marathon, and then collapse for a day (or week!) to recover.  He didn't have that option, but having experts on hand to drain your blisters, wrap your feet in bandages, and massage your painful muscles, has to be very useful in such a situation!

That and he was very slow, sometimes spending over 10 hours to do the marathon.
Still impressive though.

« Reply #18 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »
Watched it last night  - inspirational indeed.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:13:06 pm »

That and he was very slow, sometimes spending over 10 hours to do the marathon.
Still impressive though.
Yes, that's what I thought. Of course a 10hr marathon is still non-trivial for a big guy with feck-all training. And then 4 more, not a single mile walked ...

There may have been editorial licence taken in the making of the 1st show, but it did seem like that week was make-or-break. He was getting slowly fitter, as you would expect if you pace yourself, but some bits were (unsurprisingly) breaking down. It could have all been off after 3 days; possibly more luck than determination. Some problems cannot be "pushed through", because eventually your legs drop off.

I noticed how much his toes were pointing out as he slowed down - there was real wear and tear there, not just lack of stamina.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #20 on: 10 March, 2010, 03:10:21 am »
Mind over matter (not to under estimate the rest of it, I think he's brilliant, what a man
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #21 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:18:44 pm »
Chapeau.

Ordinary people doing extraordinary things.

Makes you me think about the false ceilings we set ourselves.

H

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #22 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:04:12 pm »
I watched this evening. An utterly awesome demonstration of the power of self motivation.

I texted Sports Relief a fiver (txt Eddie to 70005). You'd need a heart of stone not to.

« Reply #23 on: 14 March, 2010, 10:29:55 am »
Just watched the second episode, and you can see that self motivation only goes so far in overcoming pain.  If things hurt too much, there's nothing you can do but stop.  I suspect that the amount of pain killers he's been using wouldn't entirely be allowed if you were actually competing in a sports event, but since he's an unfit comedian, doing if for charity, I think it's all right!

It's kind of interesting that they make a bit of an issue of his transvestism, but I can't say that I've ever really thought about him as a transvestite, just a comedian.  A bit of a weird comedian admittedly, but plenty of comedians are a bit weird, isn't it part of the job description?

border-rider

« Reply #24 on: 14 March, 2010, 10:39:37 am »
We watched the first one the other night

Quite extraordinary.  I'd assumed he'd been doing stuff like training for this  :o

Such determination.