Author Topic: Installing FileZilla under Vector Linux 5.8  (Read 1106 times)

Installing FileZilla under Vector Linux 5.8
« on: 06 June, 2008, 09:24:26 pm »
I'm familiar with FileZilla, as I've used it on a Windoze platform.  Now I want to set it up under Vector Linux.

I've downloaded FileZilla_3.0.9.3-i586-linux-gnu.tar.bz2.  I've extracted the files from this, which number about 30 in total.

What do I do next?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Installing FileZilla under Vector Linux 5.8
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2008, 04:29:55 pm »
Is there an install script? If so, make it executable (eg chmod 744 filename), open a terminal, navigate to the directory where you extracted the files and run it. Don't forget the "./" in front of the filename eg "sudo ./filename".
Pen Pusher

bobajobrob

« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2008, 01:10:29 pm »
Is that source code archive?

Check there isn't one built for slackware already. Try swaret install filezilla, if you have swaret installed.

Normal instructions to build code from source are like this, but it varies from package to package. Look for a file called README or INSTALL.
Code: [Select]
cd <dir>
./configure
make
sudo make install

You will need to have build tools and build dependencies installed.

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
I got some useful advice too from www.vectorlinux.com - I hadn't realised that there is an FTP client, GFTP, bundled with Vector Linux already, which is very similar to FileZilla, and the FileZilla itself is soon to be added to the packages list, so can just be downloaded and installed by gslapt when it's ready.

Thanks for the help.