Author Topic: Firefox 3  (Read 3870 times)

Firefox 3
« on: 19 June, 2008, 02:41:55 pm »
Looks good!

I seem to have much more visible screen, for one thing, as the toolbars are more compact. Haven't noticed anything else of significance yet.

Re: Firefox 3
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:45:45 pm »
Seems a bit snappier to me. Oh and teh default theme is much more modern and less 1990s than the old one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:54:56 pm »
It's also got loads of features aimed at protecting clueless users which can be really annoying. Such as forcing you to go through three separate warnings to visit a https site with a certificate that hasn't been signed by one of the recognised authorities (many community sites don't want to pay for an officially signed certificate).
I am nothing and should be everything

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:56:25 pm »
I've had v3 for a couple of months now. Can anyone tell me how to make the back button behave like v2 please ???
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:09:49 pm »
Whats it doing differently ? When I hit the back button it goes back to the previous page, what does yours do ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:30:49 pm »
How do you:

1. Adjust the length of the bloody address bar so that it does not go all the way across?
2. Get rid of a couple of unused strips across the top?

While it looked very neat indeed in W 2000 Pro, it is not so good in XP  :(

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »
Go to view/toolbars/customize. Might be something in there that helps. You can certainly drag out the unused bits, not sure about the length of the address bar.

Anyone using the piclens add-on? Now that's impressive.

« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:45:51 pm »
Firebug isn't compatible, but apart from that it looks good!

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:48:47 pm »
Go to view/toolbars/customize. Might be something in there that helps. You can certainly drag out the unused bits, not sure about the length of the address bar.

Done that, thanks, but it was actually a setting within Google toolbar options that fixed it.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:04:16 pm »

Yes I do and I find it super

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »
Firebug isn't compatible, but apart from that it looks good!

Yes it is...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843
a great mind thinks alike

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2008, 05:55:42 pm »
Whats it doing differently ? When I hit the back button it goes back to the previous page, what does yours do ?

I can only go back one page at a time. If I want to go back multiple pages, I now have to right-click as the pull-down (still present on the forward button) has disappeared :(.

Right-clicking is OK - I'm used to it now - but it's inconsistent with other versions and other browsers.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »
I can only go back one page at a time. If I want to go back multiple pages, I now have to right-click as the pull-down (still present on the forward button) has disappeared :(.

Left clicking on the drop down box icon next to the back icon still works on Firefox 3 beta 2. Let me check...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
I have a pulldown, so I dunno what's happened to yours ???

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
*installed Firefox 3*

There's just one drop down next to both the back and forward icons (to the right of the Forward icon).

So it's effectively combined the two individual forward/backward ones and highlights the current page in the list in bold.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:23:17 pm »
*installed Firefox 3*

There's just one drop down next to both the back and forward icons (to the right of the Forward icon).

So it's effectively combined the two individual forward/backward ones and highlights the current page in the list in bold.

Aahhh, I get it now. Doh! :-[
Pen Pusher

« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:12:56 pm »
I've just loaded Ff3 onto pc running XP (with SP's) in a matter of moments.  It's generally a bit quicker, looks nice and has some improved features.

For free.

Long live open source. :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:21:56 pm »
Have been using it for a day.

New default 'Home' icon reminds me of South Park (which I loath) for some reason.

Drop-down history in address bar for typing ahead I find stupid and pointless - it means you have to read *much* more crud before being able to spot the URL you were after.

Extra screen space seems to me mainly due to change of default configuration (it now feels similar to FF2 with small icons and crap turned off).

Still, nice small download, and being open-source means I can fix any issues if they bug me enough.

To be honest, doesn't really seem different enough to warrant a full version jump, but it will remain my preferrred browser (still streets ahead of IE).

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:24:15 am »
Finally FF works flawlessly on me Macs! I like the increased real estate and notably faster page rendering. I still prefer Camino as my primary browser for now :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 20 June, 2008, 12:56:25 pm »
I did notice that a few of my bookmarks (and a subfolder folder of bookmarks) was lost during the update, for some reason. They were all recent additions.

gonzo

« Reply #20 on: 20 June, 2008, 12:59:19 pm »

Unless you want to click on a small picture!

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #21 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:32:49 pm »
I like the way it scans your bookmarks and comes up with options as you type in a URL at the top.

Chris S

« Reply #22 on: 20 June, 2008, 01:57:27 pm »

Unless you want to click on a small picture!

Or you use Linux  ::-)

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #23 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:21:15 pm »
I downloaded that stupid piclens thing to find it doesn't work with 99% of websites!

« Reply #24 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:23:01 pm »
I downloaded that stupid piclens thing to find it doesn't work with 99% of websites!

I'm kind of failing to see the point of it myself.