Author Topic: FAT32...and external HDDs?  (Read 1070 times)

FAT32...and external HDDs?
« on: 20 June, 2008, 03:34:54 pm »
I'm after a external HDD, could someone explain what FAT32 is , and why it's best avoided for backup of NB files?  What is the alternative?

I prolly go for a 500GB of some make, although the little 2.5" portable ones are quite attractive for carrying a copy of files around with you.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: FAT32...and external HDDs?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2008, 03:39:47 pm »
FAT32 is a type of file system, it has various limits in terms of how big the partitions can be and/or file size limits, it used to be about 2GB but it may have changed. NTFS is a much better file system to use. To be honest, you won't notice any difference between them in normal use.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2008, 04:33:32 pm »
Valiant speaks the truth. FAT32 had a file limit and volume size too.

NTFS does away that - i got a new 500gb Western Digital after the kids had filled up the main PC with photos and sodding iTunes. I re-formatted the drive at work - took about 2 hours but very painless.

Go home, plug in new drive, wait 4 seconds and pleasing blue light comes on and away we went on a massive cut & paste spree.
A shitter and a giggler.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:16:28 pm »
File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Limits see to be about 4GB max file size (can be a problem for some video files)

8TB for maximum volume size (Not yet an issue - but close)

About max 260million clusters. That means on a 500GB Drive, the cluster size will be about 2k which means that any file no matter how small will use 2K space - this is only likely to be an issue if you store millions of very small files.

NTFS is a better format, but is not readable by some earlier versions of windows (I think winME and earlier can't read it - but might be wrong on this)

Rob S

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2008, 06:40:42 pm »
Another thing  in the instructions of my Toshiba External HDD there was a warning that when using NTFS the drive couldn't be secured by a password...not sure if that's just a Toshiba issue though.