Author Topic: The Unofficial ToB thread  (Read 3697 times)

Re: The Unofficial ToB thread
« Reply #25 on: 14 September, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »
What an excellent sight.Rabobanks all lined out on the front making tempo for their man in yellow and Bradley Wiggins sat comfortably on the back having a cuppa 8)
They certainly made light work of a hill that we find quite a grovel at times.They were just tapping along telling jokes to each other.

Well worth the ride out and a bit of inspiration.

I was marshalling and spectating the BC TT National Championships last weekend. Michael Hutchinson was riding and so was Bradley Wiggins.
I watched them ride up a local hill. There was a notable difference between Wiggo and Hutch. I could tell who had te upper hand from watching them ride up that hill. Hutchinson was riding fast, no doubt about that, but looked much more laboured than Wiggo, who looked relaxed on his tri bars. (He wasn't relaxed though)
I think Wiggo's just here to help his team mates. TofB seems to be a battle of the spinters from what I make of it. Fantastic rider though.
It'll be interseting for me to see how Ian Stannard does. I sat next to him at our club dnner last year. I didn't know who he was until later on in the evening :-[. He used to be in the other Milton Keynes cycling club, Team MK.

rdaviesb

« Reply #26 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:12:17 am »
Why oh why am I going to be in a meeting at 10am. I work less than five miles from tomorrows start in Blackpool, and as for the sprint at Broughton....... words cannot describe how disorganised I am this week.....  :'(

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 15 September, 2009, 12:23:00 am »
And I will miss the highlights for the next few days.. Not on ITV.com for at least two days after the race.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

megajoules expenditure

« Reply #28 on: 15 September, 2009, 01:38:39 pm »
Here's hoping he goes as well or better in the worlds TT later this month. :thumbsup:

I was marshalling and spectating the BC TT National Championships last weekend. Michael Hutchinson was riding and so was Bradley Wiggins.
I watched them ride up a local hill. There was a notable difference between Wiggo and Hutch. I could tell who had te upper hand from watching them ride up that hill. Hutchinson was riding fast, no doubt about that, but looked much more laboured than Wiggo, who looked relaxed on his tri bars. (He wasn't relaxed though)
I think Wiggo's just here to help his team mates. TofB seems to be a battle of the spinters from what I make of it. Fantastic rider though.
It'll be interseting for me to see how Ian Stannard does. I sat next to him at our club dnner last year. I didn't know who he was until later on in the evening :-[. He used to be in the other Milton Keynes cycling club, Team MK.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #29 on: 15 September, 2009, 01:42:52 pm »
Just got back from Cross o Greet ,I was surprised how many people were there ,possible pics to follow.
Great weather for it pity I have to get back to work it would have been a grand afternoon for a nice long ride .

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 15 September, 2009, 11:08:39 pm »
I marshaled for the finish of Stage 1 on Saturday.  We had perfect weather and a good sprint, what more could anyone want?  I was stationed about 100 yards after the finish line, unfortunately not quite in front of the podium, but here's what I saw.

We were marshaling in pairs and guess what I saw on my partner's bike frame?  None other than the name "Melita Luxton".  The owner was called Kate so Mel, if you're wondering, she still has the bike.

There was a kids pursuit race beforehand as part of British Cycling's Go-Ride initiative, photos are here.  The clubs involved were the North Midlands Youth Squad (I saw a Sheff Rec CC jersey among them), York's own Clifton CC (whose squad mostly looked a couple of years younger than everyone else), Holme Valley CC and East Bradford CC.  The latter had the event sewn up, winning the top two places.  All I can say is, I wish I'd been introduced to bike racing aged 6!

Chris Sutton wins the stage

Then he hangs around afterwards

Then he ascends the podium

Then it's time for the TV interviews

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #31 on: 16 September, 2009, 11:42:50 am »
I was on return to uni duty this weekend so I took Alex down to Brampton to see his grandparents on Sunday, saw the stage to Newcastle on TV and on the way back to Glasgow on Monday made a diversion and watched the race go through the feed on the Peebles-Gretna stage. We then followed the race back toward Lockerbie to get onto the M74 and collected 11 discarded bottles and 4 musettes on the way.  :)

I haven't been keeping up with cycling news recently and didn't realise the race was on, it made my weekend.   :thumbsup:

I'll post pics when I get them uploaded

« Reply #32 on: 16 September, 2009, 12:15:43 pm »
The podium girl pictured (Lauren Bason) is the sister of one of my clubmates and is also Andy Tennant's girlfriend.

« Reply #33 on: 17 September, 2009, 08:05:19 pm »
I rode up to the very top of Winsford Hill on Exmoor today to see the race. Only a small group (~30) watching there as I think the crowds were at the prime rather further down. Columbia clearly doing a lot of work to try to keep their man in yellow - well done to them and the Haggis in particular. My wife and son went to Bideford (in the car) to see the finish. Had a great time apparently and the lad came away with an Agritubel cap after chatting to the team bus driver - I'm now very envious of my 3 year old!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 21 September, 2009, 05:50:38 pm »
Good shot of the winner:

Bianchista: Congrats...

(Just found this blog, lots of cool links, plus a rather poignant riposte to Chef Martin.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles