Author Topic: Time trial watches/timers  (Read 1704 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Time trial watches/timers
« on: 01 February, 2014, 03:32:04 pm »
We have access to some nice Seiko watches with a digital printer but these are somewhat pricey and a little bit limited.

I was thinking of constructing a specific TT watch with an arduino, Real Time Clock chip, LCD display and associated hardware.  This would allow for start and finish watches (plural) to be started at the same time via a sync lead, role specific menus (ie capture finish for the finish timer and capture late reporting for the start), potential for radio sync between start and finish as well (and output to remote displays/countdown). Oh, and link to a thermal printer for hard copy.

Most of the parts are COTS and with a bit of plastic molishing should be quite feasible.

Any thoughts from the timekeepers out there?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Re: Time trial watches/timers
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:43:54 pm »
Don't they still have to be officially certified? Not saying you couldn't get that done.

David Martin

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
Yes, ish. One of my issues is that we may shortly have the fastest 10 course in Scotland which could make us up our game. At the moment I don't think any of our watches are officially certified.

« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2014, 06:08:48 pm »
Sync  everything  to  GPS.

Everyone  else does -- if the satellites fall down the whole of civilisation will grind  to a  halt

So should be  good enough for a  10

David Martin

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
I was thinking of being a bit lazy and adding in automated time calculation, output to big screens etc.

I have a suitable 500 memory stopwatch for run of th emill and access to nice seiko printing ones.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 01 February, 2014, 09:51:38 pm »
Maybe not what you are looking for, but I have seen a few local races using RaceSplitter. http://racesplitter.com/
Its an app for Ipad/Iphone, costs $35.
It seems its designed for mass start races, where everyone has a number displayed, not sure how well it work for time trials. It lets you post all of the results to a website, so you could get a printout etc.

David Martin

« Reply #6 on: 01 February, 2014, 11:04:09 pm »
I suppose I'm looking to do things for the sake of it.  Not after an app at all.