Author Topic: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020  (Read 32681 times)

Phil W

Re: Wild Atlantic Way Audax 2020
« Reply #150 on: 01 December, 2019, 06:46:58 pm »
No one pre registered will lose a space. It's just taking them longer than planned to get the full registration entry form ready.  It'll all be good.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #151 on: 02 December, 2019, 11:34:07 am »
No one pre registered will lose a space. It's just taking them longer than planned to get the full registration entry form ready.  It'll all be good.

ah, but the pounds tanking again... It was 1.17 something on Saturday and might be 1.16 something by the time they get it ready.

Phil W

« Reply #152 on: 02 December, 2019, 06:31:01 pm »
Since I got my Transferwise card I transfer money into my currency accounts I know I'm going to use, when the rate looks favourable.  That way I fix the exchange rate , and if it tanks then I don't need to worry. Conversely if the pound strengthens significantly then I may have lost out a bit, but I don't worry about that scenario  right now.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #153 on: 02 December, 2019, 10:49:23 pm »
Aye, I'm not overly serious about that, the problem is having the money to put on the card...
I could do with splitting it between my Transerwise, Caxton and Credit cards but not sure if PayPal will allow that!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #154 on: 04 December, 2019, 08:12:37 pm »
And I was wrong 1.18 euro to the pound tonight up from just below 1.16 when I posted that.

Save 6 quid if it stays like this...

Phil W

« Reply #155 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:01:50 pm »
1.184 this morning.  Just moved some money across from my sterling to euro account.  Rate may get even better, but current rate is pretty much the best it's been for last two years. I've learnt from my share dealing, not to get too greedy when it comes to prices / rates. So that's locked in for WAWA.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #156 on: 05 December, 2019, 12:44:57 pm »
I note the date is now the 6th!

Topped up at 1.183; works lottery returns came in handy

« Reply #157 on: 05 December, 2019, 06:17:37 pm »
It’s up now... I’m in! Gulp. Seeing as I’ve not done an Audax since PBP, I’d better start getting some miles in!!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #158 on: 05 December, 2019, 07:10:13 pm »
My entry in now; yikes!

34t cassette.... on my desk,
hilly training routes.... identified
Excessive chocolate consumption.... to be tamed

Phil W

« Reply #159 on: 05 December, 2019, 08:38:24 pm »
It’s up now... I’m in! Gulp. Seeing as I’ve not done an Audax since PBP, I’d better start getting some miles in!!

I get back on the Audax build up in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile must dig out and get riding my hilly loops I did to get fit for WAWA 16.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #160 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:16:59 pm »
For those who haven't seen: the Iona Inn, Derry is once again reserved for WAWA finishers on Sat 4th and Sun 5th. Drop an email or phone Tonya mentioning WAWA to reserve your bed. Last time it was £20 a night if you were happy sharing.
Are you sure about the 4th/5th? Start is on the 25th 9am, you get 9 days + 4 hours if you go for the 220 hour version, meaning you'd have to finish before Friday July 3rd, 13:00 Having full use of the place on the 2nd and 3rd would make more sense to me, am I missing something?

As of five minutes ago I am € 460 poorer  :o

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #161 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:48:34 pm »
0d: 25 th at 0800
1d: 26
2d: 27
3d: 28
4d: 29
5d:30
6d: 1
7d: 2
8d: 3
9d: 4th at 0800
9d 4h; 4th at midday

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #162 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:53:50 am »
For those who haven't seen: the Iona Inn, Derry is once again reserved for WAWA finishers on Sat 4th and Sun 5th. Drop an email or phone Tonya mentioning WAWA to reserve your bed. Last time it was £20 a night if you were happy sharing.
Are you sure about the 4th/5th? Start is on the 25th 9am, you get 9 days + 4 hours if you go for the 220 hour version, meaning you'd have to finish before Friday July 3rd, 13:00 Having full use of the place on the 2nd and 3rd would make more sense to me, am I missing something?

Yes, 7 days gets you back to Thursday 9am. Add two more days that's Saturday 9am. Add 4 hours that's Saturday 1pm.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #163 on: 06 December, 2019, 09:58:50 am »

Yes, 7 days gets you back to Thursday 9am. Add two more days that's Saturday 9am. Add 4 hours that's Saturday 1pm.

Balls I got the start time wrong
I was in the pub at the time
But that's no excuse as I don't drink...

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #164 on: 06 December, 2019, 01:36:17 pm »
You're both right of course. Pesky off-by-one errors ;D

rob

« Reply #165 on: 06 December, 2019, 02:05:12 pm »
Looks like we are doing some similar roads on the Pan Celtic Race.   We start 4th July, though, so probably a week to 10 days later.

Phil W

« Reply #166 on: 06 December, 2019, 03:09:52 pm »
Looks like we are doing some similar roads on the Pan Celtic Race.   We start 4th July, though, so probably a week to 10 days later.

Will you be going south -> north or other way round?

Phil W

« Reply #167 on: 06 December, 2019, 03:15:51 pm »
Think the 184hr deadline is 10pm on the Sat.  So you can finish the 220 hour version, shower and get some rest, then return to peace bridge later to see some of the others come in.

rob

« Reply #168 on: 06 December, 2019, 03:28:05 pm »

South to North by the looks of it :-

https://www.pancelticrace.com/route/

but not all the way......

Phil W

« Reply #169 on: 06 December, 2019, 03:46:03 pm »

Ah, as far up as Dingle but not Slea Head, Conor Pass then east. Roughly the first couple of days of WAWA 220 hour version coastline, minus a few of the headlands we will visit. Hopefully you'll have Healy Pass on your route, lovely alpine like climb.

« Reply #170 on: 08 December, 2019, 10:11:48 am »
Well I'm in: 220 hour group. Just to make  it  more  fun I'm plannig to ride  my  trike. Additional purchases..
a pair of mudrainguards from Geoff Booker, plus wider rear rims to go up from 28 rear to 35C's all round.
Considering  touring to and from the  event  from Durham -  trains and planes not trike possible.

rob

« Reply #171 on: 08 December, 2019, 03:05:11 pm »

Ah, as far up as Dingle but not Slea Head, Conor Pass then east. Roughly the first couple of days of WAWA 220 hour version coastline, minus a few of the headlands we will visit. Hopefully you'll have Healy Pass on your route, lovely alpine like climb.

Thanks, Phil

I’m a little under researched at the moment so need to do a bit more studying.

« Reply #172 on: 11 December, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »
Signed up to the 220h. I live in Cork, 30 km from the start. So just thought I'd share some info.

Getting there:
Anyone flying might be interested in knowing that Cork airport is 6km from Cork city, but also on the road to Kinsale, where the start is. The airport is 20km from Kinsale, so consider going directly to Kinsale, which is a tourist town with lots of restaurants / shops. From Dublin, you could get the train to Cork and maybe cycle from there - while there are buses to Kinsale, it could be at the discretion of the driver to allow bikes. If you are cycling from Cork, get in touch and I'll send a quiet route (hint: the road from the airport to the city is one to avoid cycling on).

Elevation profile / Road Surface:
There were some questions on the elevation profile, I would say they are pretty accurate. The first 600km is brutal, as is the last 500km. The rest is just hard - rolling hills and not much flat roads for coasting. Expect many short but steep hills (12-20%). Adequate gearing + brakes needed!
The road surface will be a shock to many, we use "chip and seal" here. If you have done LEL, you might remember the Scottish roads - the roads here are worse. I will be running 35mm tyres. While its doable in 25mm (it is all on roads after all), I'd suggest min 28mm if possible

Irish motorists:
Irish motorists are generally worse than UK or Europe! You probably wont have any aggressive encounters, but some drivers here genuinely dont know how to interact with cyclists. Expect close passes and maybe stupid moves like overtaking followed by a left turn. One scenario to watch out for is the multiple overtake - first car does a good overtake, but then the rest all follow like sheep. The last car ends up skimming past on a blind corner. Also, since this is a tourist route, watch out for tourists who will suddenly brake and pull-in at random spots.
In case this puts anyone off, let me say that as long as you are vigilant, you'll be fine. I have never felt unsafe cycling in rural Ireland.

On weather:
Even though it is summer, the west coast of Ireland gets a lot of rain - twice the amount on the east coast of Ireland. There is a good chance that at least one day will be wet. Wind is generally from the SW, so mostly with us, except for for a few sections (750k / 1440k)

Hopefully that has not put anyone off! Its 100% worth it. The first few days are spectacular, particularly Slea head (loop after Dingle) if its a clear day.
If anyone has any questions, just ask.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #173 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:20:19 pm »
If you are cycling from Cork, get in touch and I'll send a quiet route (hint: the road from the airport to the city is one to avoid cycling on).

This'll be handy as I'm planning to sailrail it.

Phil W

« Reply #174 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:45:26 pm »
Signed up to the 220h. I live in Cork, 30 km from the start. So just thought I'd share some info.

Getting there:
Anyone flying might be interested in knowing that Cork airport is 6km from Cork city, but also on the road to Kinsale, where the start is. The airport is 20km from Kinsale, so consider going directly to Kinsale, which is a tourist town with lots of restaurants / shops. If you are cycling from Cork, get in touch and I'll send a quiet route (hint: the road from the airport to the city is one to avoid cycling on).

Cork - Kinsale

I did plot a route to cycle from Cork in 2016, but never rode it, as Seamus picked us up from the train station.  Can you share a link to a quiet route from Cork Airport to Kinsale ?  It looks like I'll be able to get away with just unbolting the seat and handlebars, and taking the rear derailleur off my recumbent, before packaging it up for flight.  So not too much to do at the Cork end before I can ride it.

Roads

Yeah, the only bit that felt smooth was the Ring of Kerry funded with all that EU and tourist money.  On 28mm tubeless last time my GPS mount broke (from all the vibration) on the morning of the third day. I'll be running 32mm rear and 37mm front on my recumbent.

Irish Drivers

In 2016 I actually found the drivers pretty decent, compared to SE England drivers, apart from when we were passing through Sligo.  The traffic then was pretty light though, on the roads we went down, don't know what it'll be like four years on.

Weather

In 2016, we had rain from day 2 morning for the next 36 hours.  From late on Day 3 onwards we had intermittent rain mixed with sunshine. Despite the prevailing wind you'll get plenty of opportunity to ride into headwinds as you head out onto the headlands.