Author Topic: Rohloff oil now available in 250ml bottles  (Read 1239 times)

Rohloff oil now available in 250ml bottles
« on: 18 June, 2013, 10:42:35 pm »
Found this today on the SJS website, £19.99 each for cleaning and lube oils.

Much cheaper than the one-off shots of 25ml, less outlay than for the £50 1 litre cans.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rohloff oil now available in 250ml bottles
« Reply #1 on: 20 August, 2021, 05:47:59 pm »
I've just changed the oil on my tourer.

I have recently read that Thorn are suggesting a shelf life of 5 years for Rohloff oil. This strikes me as probably being bolleaux. Does oil deteriorate when it's kept in a tin at room temperature?

I bought a litre each of cleaning oil and lubricating oil quite a long time ago. I can't imagine for one moment that the cleaning oil - that only spends a few minutes in the hub as you flush it round between gears 3 and 5 (apparently they are the ones that employ all the cogs) - becomes less effective at cleaning that it was 10 years or more ago when I bought it. Likewise, the lubricating oil has been sitting there minding its own business and still looks mighty oily to me.

Is it possible for the oil to have deteriorated, or is this just some ploy by Thorn/Rohloff to make sure people spend more money?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2021, 05:51:32 pm »
It is possible for oils to absorb moisture and to oxidise I guess (really guessing at the last one).

Oh, and diesel can get bacteria growing in it that produces a kind of sludge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2021, 06:44:30 pm »
The oil is kept in metal containers with sealed screw caps. I think any sort of moisture or bacterial contamination is most unlikely.

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:12:31 pm »
I used the older oil which came in 1 litre tins (Though I shared it) for over 15 years with no ill effects.
I bought the 250ml size last year, it's a very different oil, also cynically priced to be more expensive than a litre but not enough to warrant the hassle of splitting.
Nowhere on the containers, new or old, does it have a production or use by date, so how would you know when to start counting?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:18:14 pm »
I reckon I've probably got enough oil to last me until I'm 100 so I doubt that the hub will give out in the mean time.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:33:31 pm »
Maybe it contains whale oil, like Dexron B ATF  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2021, 07:36:13 am »
I don't know the exact chemical nature or terminology but it is well established that certain oils absorb moisture over time which makes them less effective.  The most relevant bit that I had to deal with in my first job was brake fluid.  This normally should be changed at 3 to 5 year intervals because even the smallest amount of water will compress and heat up giving you spongy and less effective brakes.

A bit of water in your engine oil is also a concern as prolonged running will almost inevitably result in big end bearing failure and other issues associated with lack of lubrication.  Thus a puff of steam from the exhaust on a regular basis and a mayonnaise type gunge in the o filler cap are potential signs of blown head gaskets and immediate remedial work required.

As for Rohloff, I have no idea what the lube is so have no idea if it absorbs moisture.  Once opened a container is regarded as compromised regardless of how well you consider it to be resealed.

The choice is of course down to the individual.

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2021, 10:23:52 am »
I don't think the warning is critical, it's not a very demanding application; no contaminents, ambient temperature and low speed. Rohloff have even said in the past that as long as there is a coating of oil in the hub, it doesn't need to be the full quantity. I don't change the oil every year on our Moulton ATB tandem as mileage is quite low.