Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1756961 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5200 on: 23 July, 2014, 01:48:17 pm »
I need a ride - been doing too much DIY and family stuff....so I'll swing by the Compasses at some point this evening anyway.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5201 on: 23 July, 2014, 03:53:39 pm »
I'm 99.5% sure I'll not be going out on the bike this evening, but there's always that last 0.5% hope.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5202 on: 23 July, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »
I'm 99.5% sure I'll not be going out on the bike this evening, but there's always that last 0.5% hope.

......there goes the final 0.5% likelihood of me getting out tonight......

« Reply #5203 on: 24 July, 2014, 12:08:20 am »
I went out on a whim, that's a lie it was the galaxy, and after negotiating Morris Dancers spread across the road outside the Compasses I had a jacket spud and a, slightly dodgy, pint of Ridley Rite. A brief chat with Tom and off we went our separate ways!
What a crackingly good evening ride it was too!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5204 on: 24 July, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »
:thumbsup:

Note #1   Hopstock 'Hoppy Days' 15-17th August

#2   Meeting 2 x Flying Helmets at the Compasses next Wednesday to discuss the Flatlands

« Reply #5205 on: 25 July, 2014, 01:01:33 pm »
#1 Noted....sounds good
#2 Damn...I am camping with the kids in Suffolk Wednesday to Friday but I am working on a plan for the Flatlands anyway so think I'll just go with that and see how I do.

Does anyone happen to know if the Stour Valley walkway from Bures towards Little Horkesley is rideable? Thinking of Tiptree -> Marks Tey and Bures to the Camp with the girls but trying to avoid the hills/roads behind Bures if at all possible.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5206 on: 27 July, 2014, 10:04:07 pm »
Certainly from Bures to Wormingford, the Stour Valley Path is a footpath, not a bridleway, so no it's not rideable.

ETA: where's your camp? The road from Bures to Nayland avoids the hills and is a pleasant ride.

« Reply #5207 on: 28 July, 2014, 08:07:56 pm »
Thanks Tim. We are staying at Rushbanks Farm about a mile and a bit from the A134. I know the road through the back so will probably just take that, some excitement from the young ones now about an adventure by bike.

« Reply #5208 on: 29 July, 2014, 12:56:55 pm »
Tippers. You'll have to let me know how you get on at that campsite and what you get up to. I've got a week off with my girls in a couple of weeks time and usually go up to East Mersea for a couple of days but wouldn't mind going somewhere else for a change.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5209 on: 30 July, 2014, 09:30:07 am »
21:00 at the Compasses tonight? I've an early evening Book Club meeting, so should be along for about then.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5210 on: 30 July, 2014, 11:41:39 am »
Unfortunately work has usurped social life again for me today  :'(

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5211 on: 30 July, 2014, 04:16:43 pm »
I've got my wires crossed about the Flying Helmets meet-up: that's next Weds at the Compasses.....so a pub ride tonight is on hold.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5212 on: 05 August, 2014, 07:31:34 am »
So, is it the Compasses THIS week?
I should be able to come out to play  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5213 on: 05 August, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »
Looking like I will be able to make it this week....

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5214 on: 05 August, 2014, 05:56:12 pm »
Flying Helmet activities are on hold at the moment due to the day job getting in the way.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5215 on: 05 August, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »
I don't suppose any of you can make it to Kempen before last orders? The Warsteiner Pils (about £2.80 a pint) is going down rather well. Mrs. Wow and I are sitting outside der (die? Das?) Eiscafé in the Buttermarkt. Sadly we have worn AH out and she has gone home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5216 on: 06 August, 2014, 08:43:08 am »
I've got my wires crossed about the Flying Helmets meet-up: that's next Weds at the Compasses.....so a pub ride tonight is on hold.

I was unaware of your arrangement with A. I'm not committing to any audax silllyness for a bit and I'm including PBP in this.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5217 on: 06 August, 2014, 09:23:15 am »
Compasses tonight  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5218 on: 06 August, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »
I'll be along for a drink and some food. Huggy, if you're about I'll give you a 128GB SD card for a copy of the Alps footage.  ;D

« Reply #5219 on: 06 August, 2014, 01:05:59 pm »
I've just been told that my new ground anchor and bike chains have arrived at home. As there have been a lot of bikes being pinched from shed in Tiptree I am going to opt out of the ride tonight and upgrade my security as I have not been sleeping well trying to listed for the door being kicked in!  >:(

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5220 on: 06 August, 2014, 01:37:23 pm »
I'll be along for a drink and some food. Huggy, if you're about I'll give you a 128GB SD card for a copy of the Alps footage.  ;D
I'm planning on being there  :thumbsup:

I've just been told that my new ground anchor and bike chains have arrived at home. As there have been a lot of bikes being pinched from shed in Tiptree I am going to opt out of the ride tonight and upgrade my security as I have not been sleeping well trying to listed for the door being kicked in!  >:(
From what I've heard the stolen bikes don't go far  :demon:

ETA: I'm assuming there are no other Withamites interested in a pootle over to The Compasses starting about 7:45 this evening?

« Reply #5221 on: 06 August, 2014, 05:19:27 pm »
From what I've heard the stolen bikes don't go far  :demon:

Indeed....not nice when you have some confirmation thieves live next door! And if they are stupid enough to leave the bikes in open sight of all and throw bits over the back fence into a car park it is quite likely they don't have the brains to not steal from the house next door.

« Reply #5222 on: 07 August, 2014, 07:39:30 am »
A spiffing evening again! I was already tucking into my spud and beans when Tomsk walked in, failed to spot me and joined the Flying Helmets near the door. Huggy came in and failed to spot me too until he made his way to the bar. I wasn't hiding and my pink, albeit sweat stained, cap does rather stand out. Talk was mostly Flatlands and PBP.
Any hoo after finishing my spud I joined the others until I had to leave. I must be famous there now because as I left I overheard someone outside say "he's off to Southend". It was drizzly on departing and I ditched my trip up TMNH when it turned into a heavy shower and I decided to take the shorter route down Boreham Road. Rain stopped after Boreham and from then on it was only me and rabbits on the road.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5223 on: 10 August, 2014, 05:09:25 pm »
Anyone around on Wednesday evening?

« Reply #5224 on: 10 August, 2014, 05:39:35 pm »
Anyone around on Wednesday evening?
Look out! Two months of Holibobs stories to get through!!!  ;D