Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718389 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #125 on: 10 September, 2009, 12:43:46 am »
9/9/9 ride was good - about 39 miles for me, all in the company of Oscar's Dad and partially with bobb and Tokamak.

A couple in The Cats and more in the Green Man in Little Braxted afterwards.   :thumbsup:

related threads/posts are here and here:D

It was good to meet bobb for the first time, although I didn't get to wheel his bike backwards to closely observe the cranks.  :-\
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #126 on: 10 September, 2009, 09:08:36 am »
This weeks ride was cut short for me but I did manage to get a couple of pints in at the the Windmill in Chatham Green before heading home for dinner and a relatively early night. I'm gutted I missed Oscar's dad's water stunts!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #127 on: 10 September, 2009, 09:12:45 am »
Great ride and start to my Wednesday evening series. Only a minor swim thankfully. Pictures tomorrow once I'm back from Slough (yuk)

« Reply #128 on: 10 September, 2009, 09:29:53 am »
back from Slough (yuk)
Is this punishment for not being able to ride through a shallow ford? Karma!

We should get a T-shirt going:
I came off in
    Nuttys
Slimed Bottom

« Reply #129 on: 10 September, 2009, 12:36:04 pm »
back from Slough (yuk)
Is this punishment for not being able to ride through a shallow ford? Karma!

We should get a T-shirt going:
I came off in
    Nuttys
Slimed Bottom

Until such time as you find a t-shirt printer that has an apostrophe in their repertoire, I think that this is not a plan to follow.

« Reply #130 on: 10 September, 2009, 01:10:46 pm »
Until such time as you find a t-shirt printer that has an apostrophe in their repertoire, I think that this is not a plan to follow.
I'm sure they will have apostrophes to hand. I gave mine away to the retired greengrocers home.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #131 on: 10 September, 2009, 04:54:32 pm »
I'm back from Slough. 

Last night was a top night.  It was a shame we lost 50% of the peloton but never mind as there will be other nights.

36 miles, 3 fordings of the River Ter, one slight swim that resulted in a wet knee, damp glove and dripping Magic Bag.  We consumed a total of 9 pints between us that washed down 6 packets of snacks ...

Here Mr O attempts to enrol the cat outside The Cats into the YACF fold ...

My next Essex ride won't be till early October  :o  unless I can squeeze in a non-Wednesday ride - bloody work!

« Reply #132 on: 10 September, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »
We consumed a total of 9 pints between us that washed down 6 packets of snacks ...

Bloody hell - bobb and I had 2 pints each, you nutters. And what is that snack thing in the foreground? Looks like a deep fried hatchling! :sick:

« Reply #133 on: 10 September, 2009, 07:25:44 pm »
Sorry I missed out last night, I certainly plan to be along to the next one.

Did the share of 9 pints cause the wet knee before the ford? :o

Chief

PS - The secret to going through a ford is the gator tyre  :thumbsup: ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #134 on: 10 September, 2009, 07:32:47 pm »

I don't think even Ultra GatorHamster Skins are a match for nutty's slimed bottom.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #135 on: 11 September, 2009, 08:01:37 am »
We consumed a total of 9 pints between us that washed down 6 packets of snacks ...

Bloody hell - bobb and I had 2 pints each, you nutters. And what is that snack thing in the foreground? Looks like a deep fried hatchling! :sick:

That was an extra large pork scratching - yummy!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #136 on: 11 September, 2009, 08:02:33 am »

Chief

No, I can't blame the beer, I fell in after two pints!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #137 on: 11 September, 2009, 09:32:02 am »

Chief

Well, you're normally anyone's after a lemonade and a sniff of the barmaid's apron... :-*
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #138 on: 11 September, 2009, 11:38:21 am »

I don't think so -- I believe OD's bladder control is better than that.  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #139 on: 11 September, 2009, 11:38:35 am »

Chief

PS - The secret to going through a ford is the gator tyre  :thumbsup: ;)

Well, you're normally anyone's after a lemonade and a sniff of the barperson's apron... :-*

^^^ We need to be careful about gender in order to preserve my image as one of the forum's gay icons.  Thank you.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #140 on: 11 September, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »
Mont Ventoux - you know you want to  ;D   :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #141 on: 15 September, 2009, 08:45:22 am »
No doubt in direct contravention of some EU directive my employers have conspired against me and are actively preventing my participation in the Wednesday evening rides that might be organised this week and next week.

However, The Current Mrs R (a blessed and curvaceous angel) has come to the rescue and granted me leave of absence on the evenings of Thursday 17th (this Thursday) and Monday 21st (next Monday).

My plan is to ride a short and snappy route that affords enough time for a pint or two yet returns me to the bosom of my wife family by about 10pm.  I have no objection to riding alone but equally would relish some company.  Any interest brothers and sisters?

EDIT: this Thursday I fancy a route that takes in St Anne's Castle, Great Leighs (as recommended by Mr O) and The Compasses, Littley Green.  That should amount to about 30 miles and 2 pints (ish) - perfect

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #142 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:04:02 am »
Monday's a possible but it's my "no alcohol" day 'cos I take me tablets. I'd have to watch you drink whilst I stuck to jessie juice..
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #143 on: 15 September, 2009, 09:06:05 am »
Monday's a possible but it's my "no alcohol" day 'cos I take me tablets. I'd have to watch you drink whilst I stuck to jessie juice..

No worries, come along   :thumbsup:  I could either meet you at the station or you could come round here.  I was going to set off at about 6:30pm after me tea.

« Reply #144 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:46:26 pm »
This Thursday the Chelmer CC are holding a downhill rolling competition* - from the Viper! Why don't you make your way over there and join in? With the extra mass of Magic Bag you could go far!** :P

*Cranks are zip-tied up and you roll for as far as possible down this road. It's a long, gentle downhill rather than a short blast and you can go surprisingly far.

**earlier in the year the winning attempt was by a guy on his time-trial bike - this is really against the rule(s), which stipulate your slowest, heaviest bike. But it was allowed, and goes to prove that quality bearings and lower rolling resistance trump greater mass down a hill!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #145 on: 15 September, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »
This Thursday the Chelmer CC are holding a downhill rolling competition* - from the Viper! Why don't you make your way over there and join in? With the extra mass of Magic Bag you could go far!** :P

*Cranks are zip-tied up and you roll for as far as possible down this road. It's a long, gentle downhill rather than a short blast and you can go surprisingly far.

**earlier in the year the winning attempt was by a guy on his time-trial bike - this is really against the rule(s), which stipulate your slowest, heaviest bike. But it was allowed, and goes to prove that quality bearings and lower rolling resistance trump greater mass down a hill!

Hmmm, The Viper is a bit further than I had in mind and could end up being a late night which on this particular occasion doesn't appeal.  I've heard of these downhill rolling competitions and they sound like fun, we should organise a YACF event on a Friday night pub ride perhaps? 

Oscar's dad

« Reply #146 on: 15 September, 2009, 03:47:17 pm »
No doubt in direct contravention of some EU directive my employers have conspired against me and are actively preventing my participation in the Wednesday evening rides that might be organised this week and next week.

However, The Current Mrs R (a blessed and curvaceous angel) has come to the rescue and granted me leave of absence on the evenings of Thursday 17th (this Thursday) and Monday 21st (next Monday).

My plan is to ride a short and snappy route that affords enough time for a pint or two yet returns me to the bosom of my wife family by about 10pm.  I have no objection to riding alone but equally would relish some company.  Any interest brothers and sisters?

EDIT: this Thursday I fancy a route that takes in St Anne's Castle, Great Leighs (as recommended by Mr O) and The Compasses, Littley Green.  That should amount to about 30 miles and 2 pints (ish) - perfect

I have just worked out that the St Anne's Castle, Littley Green ride is closer to a 20 mile round trip which will do fine for Thursday.

I fancy a trip out to the Five Bells at Colne Engaine on Monday which will be a 30 mile round trip.

As mentioned company will be most welcome, as will alternative suggestions.

« Reply #147 on: 15 September, 2009, 03:51:30 pm »
I have a stag do this weekend. I think it would be wise for me to stay away from any establishments that sell booze on Thursday. I have no idea what state I'll be in when I get back for the Monday!! But you never know.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #148 on: 15 September, 2009, 05:24:29 pm »
St. Anne's Castle and Littley Green are quite close to home for me - If I get away from the downhill rolling comp. in good time I may be able to meet you for a swift pint.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #149 on: 16 September, 2009, 06:52:50 am »
Right ho, I will drop you a text to let you know what time we are likely to be at each pub.