Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1736791 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #925 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:33:53 pm »
    Put start time back to 19:30? Or we can meet at the Square and Compasses at the same time - that'd be more like a 1 1/2 hour ride from Dunmow, or we could start a bit earlier, if thats ok with AH/UJ?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #926 on: 01 May, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »
I can certainly start earlier, no probs.

With regard to the railway line bit, anyone object if I avoid the last bit with the narrow bridge/walking the plank and take the road route at that section?
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #927 on: 01 May, 2010, 10:12:48 pm »
I can certainly start earlier, no probs.

With regard to the railway line bit, anyone object if I avoid the last bit with the narrow bridge/walking the plank and take the road route at that section?

And miss man-handling you by the rack?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #928 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »
    OK, Jalsa Ghar is booked for 8:30pm [provisionally - they are amazingly laid back about this, but I'll call them in the early evening re: numbers and eta.]
    Lets go with meeting at the Square & Compasses, Fuller Street, at 7pm - will that work for those returning from London?
    We'll set off from Dunmow [Queen Vic] at 5:30pm, to meet at the S & C. AH, I'm hoping to avoid the Flitch Way altogether!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #929 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:05:23 pm »
Sounds good. It is unlikely that James will be along as he's got quite a busy week of evening things so it'll probably just be me.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #930 on: 03 May, 2010, 10:06:45 pm »
    OK, Jalsa Ghar is booked for 8:30pm [provisionally - they are amazingly laid back about this, but I'll call them in the early evening re: numbers and eta.]
    Lets go with meeting at the Square & Compasses, Fuller Street, at 7pm - will that work for those returning from London?
    We'll set off from Dunmow [Queen Vic] at 5:30pm, to meet at the S & C. AH, I'm hoping to avoid the Flitch Way altogether!

S&C :thumbsup:  ... I might be a little after 7.00  :-\  I'm hoping to get back to Witham by 18:41, from where it's a shade under 6 miles on a bike that goes a shade under 15 miles an hour on a good day  ;)

Looking forward to this!  :D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #931 on: 04 May, 2010, 07:41:14 am »
I'm going to pass on this I'm afraid. Have fun!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #932 on: 04 May, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »
So is it just Tomsk, Oaky, Chief and me?

Oh, and are you Mid Essex lot coming to my 'Essex is (Mostly) Flat' ride on Saturday? I know Mrs_o is so Oaky is probably looking after the Acorns, but what about the rest of ye?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #933 on: 04 May, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »
So is it just Tomsk, Oaky, Chief and me?

Oh, and are you Mid Essex lot coming to my 'Essex is (Mostly) Flat' ride on Saturday? I know Mrs_o is so Oaky is probably looking after the Acorns, but what about the rest of ye?

Not I I'm afraid.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #934 on: 04 May, 2010, 06:30:20 pm »
I'm beginning to think you're a pigment of my imagination - haven't seen you for ages, even though you've apparently been lurking around Colchester recently...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #935 on: 04 May, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »
I'm beginning to think you're a pigment of my imagination - haven't seen you for ages, even though you've apparently been lurking around Colchester recently...

You saw me at the Square and Compasses Friday before last.  Was that not you?

« Reply #936 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:16:53 pm »
With the Dawes in pieces and spread around Chelmsford*, it's likely that I'll not be riding tomorrow night.  However, Mrs chief and I would still like to come along to the Jalsa if that's okay?  Naturally it would mean both a lift to and from a cycling event which will be ground breaking for me  :thumbsup:  Though I might be tempted to wear full cycling gear just to keep up appearances   :P

I'll keep an eye on the forum tomorrow but unless things change we will probably aim to get there for 20:00-20:15, if we're early then I'll be forced to refresh myself with a suitable beverage to rewind after such a long car journey O:-)

* from the great April stacks of 2010

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #937 on: 04 May, 2010, 09:22:32 pm »

You saw me at the Square and Compasses Friday before last.  Was that not you?
Oops, so I did. You clearly weren't very memorable  :-[

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #938 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:01:36 pm »
    So.... its me, Oaky, Auntie Helen, plus the motorised Chiefs? Tried, without success to persuade Mrs T, plus curry loving no.1 son, but they have other plans.
    Re: the WARTY - yes, I shall definitely be there - no audaxing for me this weekend. How odd; it means the weather will certainly be good. ;D
   See y'all tomorrow.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #939 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:19:19 am »
I can't be there tonight but I'm free from 5 p.m. next week.

What's the plan for Weds 12th?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #940 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:27:46 am »
I can't be there tonight but I'm free from 5 p.m. next week.

What's the plan for Weds 12th?

I just checked TEH LIST and it seems we've started to hit the "further afield" venues that we saved for the lighter evenings...

12 May 2010   5 Bells   Colne Engaine

19 May 2010   Railway Tavern   Southminster
26 May 2010   HOSTED RIDE   Auntie Helen/Uncle James
02 Jun 2010   Red Lion   Finchingfield
07 Jun 2010   Swan   Bures
16 Jun 2010   HOSTED RIDE   mike
23 Jun 2010   Bell Inn   Castle Hedingham
30 Jun 2010   Walnut Tree   Broads Green
07 Jul 2010   HOSTED RIDE   special guest Jon

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #941 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:31:58 am »
Sorry Tomsk, you'd already told me you were coming to the WARTY and it slipped my mind!

The Hosted Ride for us late May should be fun - I'll have had a 3 hour German exam in the morning, the end of my second year at Uni, so will be in the mood for some celebration. James and I have recently discovered a rather nice pub which serves a good selection of beer and dessert which is 2.5 miles away from our local which brews its own, so I see a shortish pub crawl in the offing.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #942 on: 05 May, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »
    Quite a few of the 'further afield' rides are out my way ;D, in fact nearer than some of the winter jaunts. AH/UJ's ride on 26th May will be proper long though! I may have to 'do a Chief' and call for Thunderbird 2. Of course, by then I will have ridden a 400 & a 600 Audax, but its harder to get psyched up for a long night ride when its a pub based form of pleasure!

« Reply #943 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »
me, Oaky, Auntie Helen, plus the motorised Chiefs

Sounds like some sort of pop band  :D

Leaving soon for the Jalsa, hhmmm Jalsa CURRY  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #944 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:50:28 pm »
I am up for an EMERGENCY PUB RIDE tomorrow evening.  Don't have defined plans but I would like to be home between 2200 to 2300 hours. And sober.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #945 on: 06 May, 2010, 12:36:51 am »
Just back from the Jalsa Ghar.

A lovely night's riding.  Met up with Tomsk and Auntie Helen at the S&C after seriously hooning it fron Witham station - breaking my average speed record for my Globe city bike (18.0 mph ... 0.5 faster than the prior best ... I woudln't be unhappy to see that on my road bike  :D)

A swift half of stoker's ale to keep me going (and a pint of water since i'd forgotten to fill my water bottle at work) and we set off for Dunmow via a grand route of Tomsk's devising.

AH, Tomsk and I arrived at the CURRY house just after 8:30, where chief and mrs chief were awaiting us.  Several pints of Doom Bar, a Lamb curry flavoured with Naga chilis (EDIT: Lamb Kushbo, IIRC and very nice it was too) and some cheesy peas later, I set off home.  I decided not to try and reverse Tomsk's route since I didn't want to end up in Sudbury by mistake, so took a route that I mostly knew via Felsted, Great Leighs & Terling.

Just over 40 miles, 14.1 mph average.

Many thanks to Tomsk for the route -- I'll have to track it down on my OS map to see which particular lanes those were.  I particularly enjoyed the roads round the airfield -- that long straight one could be a real blast if in the mood  :demon:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #946 on: 06 May, 2010, 08:27:50 am »
I'm glad you chaps had a great time.  Tomsk, please could you post your route, it sounds lovely.

I've decided to head over to Finchingfield this evening as I've only ever been there in the middle of the night with Wow.  I'll be leaving Witham at about 6pm if anyone fancies tagging along.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #947 on: 06 May, 2010, 08:53:41 am »
I'm glad you chaps had a great time.  Tomsk, please could you post your route, it sounds lovely.

I've decided to head over to Finchingfield this evening as I've only ever been there in the middle of the night with Wow.  I'll be leaving Witham at about 6pm if anyone fancies tagging along.

Much as I'd like to, I'll have to pass -- mrs_o is out so I'll be on Acorn patrol.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #948 on: 06 May, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »
Tomsk, please could you post your route, it sounds lovely.

I think this was approximately it:-

S+C to Rayne Station

Rayne station to Jalsa Ghar

... maybe ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #949 on: 06 May, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »
Thanks old bean.  I'm going thru Rayne tonight and following a bit of your route.