Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718052 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #950 on: 06 May, 2010, 02:08:29 pm »
If you want, OD, I can download you ye actuelle GPX track from yesterday.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #951 on: 06 May, 2010, 02:25:00 pm »
If you want, OD, I can download you ye actuelle GPX track from yesterday.

It's OK thanks. I've got the general idea.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #952 on: 06 May, 2010, 03:05:23 pm »
BTW - random stats from my OCD report...

yacf mid-Essex mid-week nocturnal series attended: 16
Average mileage: 27.96 miles
Average speed: 12.7 mph
Highest average speed: 14.9 mph
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #953 on: 06 May, 2010, 03:17:59 pm »
 ::-)  Bored are we?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #954 on: 06 May, 2010, 06:55:56 pm »
I'm sitting outside The Fox Inn, Finchingfield. I haven't found The Red Lion but this is very nice.

« Reply #955 on: 06 May, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
I'm sitting outside The Fox Inn, Finchingfield. I haven't found The Red Lion but this is very nice.
Head east up the hill from the bridge and the bus stop.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #956 on: 07 May, 2010, 08:21:04 am »
Well that was smashing.  41.5 miles at an average of 14.9 mph makes it the longest and fastest ride of 2010.  I would have gone faster still had it not been for a headwind on the outward leg.

The route from Shalford to Finchingfield was particularly nice - rolling narrow lanes past Redpants Farm and Chief's Farm!

Finchingfield seems to have three pubs.  The Red Lion looks a bit tatty, the Three Tuns looked OK but The Fox Inn was very pleasant with outside tables overlooking the village green.  A church, windmill, tea rooms, shop and Italian restaurant completes the list of attractions I spotted.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #957 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:04:10 pm »
This Wednesday is 5 Bells, Colne Engaine.

Anyone else going?  I can set off from Witham at around 19:15 (trains permitting).  It's less than 15 miles by a pleasant enough route (including OD's favourite bit of trespassing), but I think the outward journey could be lengthened if desired.

I also noticed that the following week's venue, The Railway Tavern - Southminster, (which I might not be able to make it to - mrs_o is probably out) doesn't appear on my Google map (see the link off my .sig) and a quick search around the web has failed to turn up evidence of its whereabouts yet...  Does anybody remember where we got this one from - was it from that CAMRA leaflet?    This site suggests that there are 5 pubs in Southminster, none of which is the "Railway Tavern" (there is a Station Arms though).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #958 on: 11 May, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »
It was me that suggested the Railway Tavern, but having trawled the web I think I meant the Station Arms.  There is a nice circular ride (apparently) directly to the east out over the Dengie Marshes that loops back via Asheldham.

Now then, next Thursday I have to be up with the larks so a long ride to Southminster won't be a good idea.  However, if we could move the ride to Tuesday (18th) I would be able to take comfortably take part. 

Thoughts boys and girls???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #959 on: 11 May, 2010, 02:05:25 pm »
It was me that suggested the Railway Tavern, but having trawled the web I think I meant the Station Arms.  There is a nice circular ride (apparently) directly to the east out over the Dengie Marshes that loops back via Asheldham.

Now then, next Thursday I have to be up with the larks so a long ride to Southminster won't be a good idea.  However, if we could move the ride to Tuesday (18th) I would be able to take comfortably take part. 

I will check with mrs_o tonight -- I might be able to have tuesday night if she's out Wednesday :)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #960 on: 11 May, 2010, 02:22:29 pm »
I'm hoping to participate tomorrow evening. I'd get a train to White NOtley and probably cycle home after hours.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #961 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »
Calling all members of the Essex and East Anglian Chapter, THIS MIGHT BE OF INTEREST

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #962 on: 11 May, 2010, 05:59:35 pm »
Hmmm, Colne Engaine is only 15 miles away from home. That's appealing.

What's more appealing, however, is to park at Colne Engaine and ride to meet someone else (Wowbagger?) and cycle to the pub with them, assuming they don't object to moving at trundle speed.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #963 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:13:15 pm »

I will check with mrs_o tonight -- I might be able to have tuesday night if she's out Wednesday :)

Apparently she's out on Tuesday as well, so I'll have to pass.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #964 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:18:29 pm »
    I'll have to pass, as no.1 son has his drama GCSE performance. 3-line whip etc. Fortunately, we don't have to sit through all the other candidates efforts!
    Have fun!

« Reply #965 on: 11 May, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
No show for me tomorrow night, enjoy the riding all  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #966 on: 12 May, 2010, 07:40:53 am »
So Oaky, I'm thinking of driving to Colne Engaine, then cycling to meet you/Wowbagger, then riding back with you. How does this sound?

« Reply #967 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:48:27 am »
 :o
I will attend! Where is AH to meet others and what time?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #968 on: 12 May, 2010, 08:58:51 am »
I think AH is assuming either to meet at Witham Station at 7:15ish when Oaky rolls off the train in his post-work haze, or to meet Wowbagger at White Notley a bit laterish where he rolls off the train in his post-not-work haze.

I will have to work out how long it will take me to get to Witham from Colne Engaine but that should be within the severe limits of my brainpower, fortunately.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #969 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:16:28 am »
I think AH is assuming either to meet at Witham Station at 7:15ish when Oaky rolls off the train in his post-work haze, or to meet Wowbagger at White Notley a bit laterish where he rolls off the train in his post-not-work haze.
Oi!  >:( I'll have you know that Wednesday is my Busy Day! I normally do 3½ hours' work!  :P It's just that today my evening session is cancelled.

I will have to work out how long it will take me to get to Witham from Colne Engaine but that should be within the severe limits of my brainpower, fortunately.

I'm intending to catch a train at 5.38 which, after 2 changes, gets me to White Notley at 7.04. I intend to cycle home.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #970 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:20:03 am »
If Oaky's going from Witham are you thinking of getting off the train there or just meeting up with us at White Notley?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #971 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:31:58 am »
If Oaky's going from Witham are you thinking of getting off the train there or just meeting up with us at White Notley?

Actually, Witham makes a lot more sense. I thought I was going to be pushed for time but more trains stop at Witham and I could leave home later - 6.08 to arrive at 7.07. That will give me pretty much a whole hour's faffage time at home.

« Reply #972 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:34:47 am »
Witham and I could leave home later - 6.08 to arrive at 7.07. That will give me pretty much a whole hour's faffage time at home.
I shall probably be over the road from the station entrance having tea and cake. Or at least very close if the stall is closed.  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #973 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:38:13 am »
I will indeed be leavign from Witham around 7:15, following approximately this route.

There's a possibility of one other person coming from Witham.  I'm happy to either try and catch people up en-route or set off en-masse from Witham.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #974 on: 12 May, 2010, 09:53:28 am »
Let's meet at Witham Station or at the café across the road (whose bar will be propped up by Del) at 7:15ish then.