Author Topic: Tales from the Lock-Down  (Read 78779 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Tales from the Lock-Down
« Reply #725 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:53:51 am »
I suspect the poaching one is the most likely.

Definitely not that they've got a sniff of the cannabis farm in your attic, of course. ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #726 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:52:19 am »
I wonder if we'll see supermarket sandwiches and salads finally go out of fashion with the outbreak in Greencore?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #727 on: 14 August, 2020, 11:58:29 am »
Our little village......[hotbed of crime]

What an exciting place you live in.
We once had someone double park here.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #728 on: 18 August, 2020, 01:56:50 pm »
Pandemic officially over as Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles restarts making you put a pound in the slot to release a trolley from its bondage.  The [“Oiks” – The Invigilator.]s are clearly abroad again.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #729 on: 19 August, 2020, 02:24:27 pm »
First haircut since lockdown started.

« Reply #730 on: 19 August, 2020, 05:38:46 pm »
First haircut since lockdown started.
First visit to the dentist yesterday since lockdown started. I broke a tooth over the weekend, so it was an 'emergency'.
However, as there was plenty of time after the tooth was sorted, I was given a six-monthly checkup as well, which was a couple of months earlier than originally planned.
(Hair still needs cutting, though.)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #731 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:24:15 pm »
Many of them take cash.  Indeed, pre-COVID it was my preferred method of dealing with small change (which barakta would accumulate, because hand impairment).

When Sainsbury's first installed self checkouts, they had a simple hopper you could pour coins into. Unfortunately the internal container for them is slightly under 1 pint. As I discovered when I poured in 1 pint of 2p coins... or rather about 90% of 1 pint of 2p coins...

They have since put a cover on with a slot, so you have to put the coins in individually... The just under 1 pint limit still exists. But you get glared at feeding them in one by one...

As it's not a debt a supermarket can choose refuse to serve you regardless of how you'd want to pay. They could, for example, choose to refuse to accept a perfectly good £20 note to pay a £20 bill, but it's unlikely they would.

But for settling a debt with "legal tender" there's a limit of 20p in 2p coins (if someone wanted to enforce that): https://www.royalmint.com/help/trm-faqs/legal-tender-amounts/

Now it's easier to pour the coins into a machine at a Metro bank and then cash them out that way. They don't charge any fee/percentage for doing so and don't mind non-customers using the machines. Everywhere else either charges a percentage or requires you to be a customer to pay the coins into an account. (I once paid in £195 in 5p pieces over the course of three trips to my local Lloyds Bank. I'd bagged them up myself [using digital scales to avoid endless counting] and they were happy to do it as long as there was no queue.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rr

« Reply #732 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:30:22 pm »
On some machines you can lift the slot out to reveal a hopper.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #733 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:44:06 pm »
The [house of toothy comestibles] near to where I lived prior to the start of all this was progressing to more new closer stacked self service, card only tills.

They had to "off-limit" 50% of them.

My new local hotc had not been subjected to the same enthusiasm for space / staff / cost saving. And has far smaller queues as a result.
The Tesco I go to or at least went to before starting to use click and collect only have half of the real tills that aren't blocked up by excess stock (about the last 4 pairs) available, there's also 50% self serve and 50% of the scan it yourself terminals available.
The village coop is the same in their real tills but they a rarely have all 4 going at once in normal times anyway, one of the Spars has 2 on but spaced to suit by Design thanks to a pillar anyway and the other one only ever has 1 person on at anytime anyway.

None of them are any slower than normal...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #734 on: 19 August, 2020, 11:51:49 pm »

As it's not a debt a supermarket can choose refuse to serve you regardless of how you'd want to pay. They could, for example, choose to refuse to accept a perfectly good £20 note to pay a £20 bill, but it's unlikely they would.

You need to travel north of Newcastle a bit more often...

The only sterling decimal note that wasnt promissory was the BoE £1 the rest are all similarly nominally worthless bits of polymer.

See also sterling coins issued by the states of Jersey, balliwixk of Guernsey, Gibraltar and government of the Isle of Mann.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #735 on: 20 August, 2020, 12:30:20 am »
Our little village......[hotbed of crime]

What an exciting place you live in.
We once had someone double park here.

Attempting to recapture the nanny goat and her kid that got loose and were eating everyone's front gardens - now that was exciting and knackering. It's hard to catch a goat that's delighted to be on the lam with an infinite supply of tasty flowers and hedges all around.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #736 on: 20 August, 2020, 06:17:34 am »
Many of them take cash.  Indeed, pre-COVID it was my preferred method of dealing with small change (which barakta would accumulate, because hand impairment).

When Sainsbury's first installed self checkouts, they had a simple hopper you could pour coins into. Unfortunately the internal container for them is slightly under 1 pint. As I discovered when I poured in 1 pint of 2p coins... or rather about 90% of 1 pint of 2p coins...

They have since put a cover on with a slot, so you have to put the coins in individually... The just under 1 pint limit still exists. But you get glared at feeding them in one by one...

But for settling a debt with "legal tender" there's a limit of 20p in 2p coins (if someone wanted to enforce that): https://www.royalmint.com/help/trm-faqs/legal-tender-amounts/

Now it's easier to pour the coins into a machine at a Metro bank and then cash them out that way. They don't charge any fee/percentage for doing so and don't mind non-customers using the machines. Everywhere else either charges a percentage or requires you to be a customer to pay the coins into an account. (I once paid in £195 in 5p pieces over the course of three trips to my local Lloyds Bank. I'd bagged them up myself [using digital scales to avoid endless counting] and they were happy to do it as long as there was no queue.)

With a 20 mile one way trip to the nearest Metro bank, I'm not convinced the economics of that really stacks up
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #737 on: 20 August, 2020, 10:12:47 am »

With a 20 mile one way trip to the nearest Metro bank, I'm not convinced the economics of that really stacks up

I've heard of an invention that makes journeys of that kind of length possible under one's own power, sometimes even enjoyable.

(Obviously the advice won't work for everyone, but that's no reason not to let people know that the facility does exist and may be usable by some people.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #738 on: 20 August, 2020, 11:11:16 am »
I've heard of an invention that makes journeys of that kind of length possible under one's own power, sometimes even enjoyable.

Steady on mate. Crazy talk!

« Reply #739 on: 26 August, 2020, 01:15:11 pm »
The holes in the Perspex screens in the tills in Pret are like a quarter of an inch narrower than the silver platters they serve eat-in meals on.

It’s just the right distance that it looks like it will fit, and every time it doesn’t. Torture.

« Reply #740 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:22:57 pm »
Latest from our work is that one of the divisions (not the one I work in) has started saying things like 'be prepared to work from home for the whole of next year'.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #741 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:33:57 pm »
I've just been advised that I'm back at work from Sept 7th.
I've been off since March 16th.
The really good news is that we've been relocated back to our old office in E17.
This means that I'll get my old cycle commute back.  :thumbsup:
26 miles one way to the new place, with the last 8 miles on shitty roads was just too much.

ian

« Reply #742 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:49:29 pm »
Our mothership is reopening on the 8th September as a 'socially distanced collaboration environment.'

« Reply #743 on: 26 August, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »
The one thing which we do have at work is space.
The site I'm currently at is ~ 24 acres.
The one I'm moving back to is ~6 acres with probably fewer than 60 people working there.
I reckon you could easily fit 80 to 100 double decker buses into the building I will be working in.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #744 on: 26 August, 2020, 06:21:36 pm »
I've just found out I'm supposed to be back in the office next week, but fortunately I've got the week booked off.

We've been split into two groups, alternating weeks in the office, in order to maintain distancing. That means instead of having just a few days to get used to the idea of being back in the office, I've got two full weeks plus a few days. Must say that is a relief.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #745 on: 26 August, 2020, 08:06:03 pm »
I technically work from home anyway, so probably won't go back this year, but reading between the lines they're generally moving to towards primarily home-based working (for those who can) with offices as hubs (I doubt we'll be keeping two motherships orbiting over London in the long term).

Which actually seems to make sense and pretty much what I've been doing for years.

« Reply #746 on: 26 August, 2020, 09:18:02 pm »
Passed a main roadside pub this evening with tables outside fairly well occupied by customers. All closely seated and none wearing masks. Has the message been lost in the telling somewhere?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #747 on: 26 August, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
Passed a main roadside pub this evening with tables outside fairly well occupied by customers. All closely seated and none wearing masks. Has the message been lost in the telling somewhere?

Didn't you know that food and drink makes you immune?  🤔

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #748 on: 27 August, 2020, 12:40:44 am »

Didn't you know that food and drink makes you immune?  🤔

Sort of:  The government's SCIENCE says that the virus isn't transmissible where a card payment machine is in use.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #749 on: 27 August, 2020, 08:15:52 am »
The message is that the economy, and to a lesser extent mental health and, ooh, let's give it a fancy name like 'social cohesion', are more important than physical health.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.