Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484901 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #400 on: 19 January, 2010, 11:41:51 pm »
Finding it necessary to go much too fast for the road conditions, owing to being back on the road bike and perpetually late because our kids are no longer off school with the sno.

Maybe the snow tomorrow will fix that?

« Reply #401 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:08:49 am »
I will be riding the MTB as it is already snowing.  :-\

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #402 on: 20 January, 2010, 08:54:44 am »
Much better commute this morning — except for the traffic.  I think this is down to one of the Thames tunnels being shut.  I have two main routes to work, must try the other one this evening and see what the traffic is like.

A special note to all the ladies commuting in skirts and knee-high boots: Thank you.  :-*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #403 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:16:49 am »
No ladies in kinky boots here.
Just a lot of rain

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #404 on: 20 January, 2010, 09:27:00 am »
A special note to all the ladies commuting in skirts and knee-high boots: Thank you.  :-*

Are there any?  Can't say as I've noticed.  O:-)   

;)

:demon:
Getting there...

« Reply #405 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:32:04 am »
Changed my mind and took the Etape.  Grateful for the extra mudguard protection and more lighting as it was quite wet and dark out there.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #406 on: 20 January, 2010, 11:46:17 am »
Decent commute, but where have all these people come from!

The roads were completely choked with cyclists :thumbsup: and motorists >:(

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #407 on: 20 January, 2010, 12:14:12 pm »
I nearly got doored this morning by a moving vehicle.  I was overtaking on the bridge past Mitcham Junction station, and a rear seat passenger flung the door open & jumped out before the car had rolled to a halt.  Clearly wanting to catch a train, but I realised I've been excluding rolling vehicles from my 'dooring hazard' alert.  I re-calibrated, shouted, 'That's ridiculous!', and rode on. 

I think, if I'd been on a motorbike, there would have been two injured people, a fair bit of bent metal, and traffic delays.
Getting there...

« Reply #408 on: 20 January, 2010, 03:11:47 pm »
I just seemed to see a lot of police officers around today.  I saw half a dozen police vans, and at one point on Cavendish Road, eight officers within a couple of hundred feet.  The odd thing was, they didn't seem to be interrelated in any fashion.  There were a couple of pairs on feet, one walking with a non-uniformed person, two in full Met police on bicycle kit (ie dayglo etc), on their bikes, and one on a bike, just wearing "normal" police officer clothes, plus a helmet.

(Actually some of them could have been PCSOs, I didn't check that closely).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #409 on: 20 January, 2010, 07:20:44 pm »
Coming home I removed a very large dead dear from my path.  It was just dead on the road.  No sign of impact, no blood, just dead.  I was half expecting it to kick when I grabbed the front legs to heave it onto the verge half and half at a time.

After that I got into some nice little interval sessions on the flatter sections and that lightened my mood.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #410 on: 21 January, 2010, 12:37:23 pm »
Cycled past the traffic queues caused by this: BBC News - 'Suspicious' package declared safe in Aberdeen

There's probably someone in an office in Aberdeen wondering where his lunch is.

« Reply #411 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:41:50 pm »
One of my co-mmuters described my stumpjumper as "old-school".

It's 2002 I'll have you know. Young man.  ::-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #412 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »
Coming home I removed a very large dead dear from my path.  It was just dead on the road.  No sign of impact, no blood, just dead.  I was half expecting it to kick when I grabbed the front legs to heave it onto the verge half and half at a time.

After that I got into some nice little interval sessions on the flatter sections and that lightened my mood.

You didn't strap it to the rack then?!?  ???

Or don't you have a rack on your speed machine?  See - if you did, you'd be able to take advantage of such bounty.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #413 on: 21 January, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »
Coming home I removed a very large dead dear from my path.  It was just dead on the road.  No sign of impact, no blood, just dead. I was half expecting it to kick when I grabbed the front legs to heave it onto the verge half and half at a time.

So you still wasn't certain then?   ;)
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #414 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:01:43 pm »
Commuted in at lunchtime this morning, which made a very pleasant change from rush-hour bedlam. It was a slooooow ride though, my legs just had no power in them.

Had a little accident when I came to dismount at work. I was carrying a 3 Wood upright in one of my panniers and forgot all about it ::-) Que muggins here swinging his leg over the bike as normal, for it to meet the shaft of the club and direct the bike's top tube smartly against my crotch in the ensuing tripping :-X :'(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #415 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:04:49 pm »
Commuted in at lunchtime this morning, which made a very pleasant change from rush-hour bedlam. It was a slooooow ride though, my legs just had no power in them.

Had a little accident when I came to dismount at work. I was carrying a 3 Wood upright in one of my panniers and forgot all about it ::-) Que muggins here swinging his leg over the bike as normal, for it to meet the shaft of the club and direct the bike's top tube smartly against my crotch in the ensuing tripping :-X :'(

So you haven't got wood then :D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #416 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:11:52 pm »
sounds like Jacomus has been shafted :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #417 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:14:00 pm »
So long as he hasn't now got a hole in one.
Getting there...

PaulF

« Reply #418 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:15:09 pm »
So long as he hasn't now got a hole in one.

No I think he just bruised them

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #419 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
I think you have it to a tee, but he may have gone a little green.
Getting there...

PaulF

« Reply #420 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:22:19 pm »
Is he still feeling rough?

We've got a fairway to go here

« Reply #421 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:31:27 pm »
I'd say he's joined the club of those falling off in their daily commute.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #422 on: 21 January, 2010, 04:54:24 pm »
Shame, having wood but not getting a birdie.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #423 on: 21 January, 2010, 05:51:22 pm »
At least he struck the ball straight, but I'm not sure about the follow through.
Getting there...

LindaG

« Reply #424 on: 22 January, 2010, 06:58:07 pm »
Coming home I removed a very large dead dear from my path.  It was just dead on the road.  No sign of impact, no blood, just dead.  I was half expecting it to kick when I grabbed the front legs to heave it onto the verge half and half at a time.

Was it an old dear?