Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487965 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #500 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:52:51 am »
Had we been forecast it to be this cold?
I've just turned around and come home- I'm not risking these lanes with that invisibly black shiny slippy stuff :(

« Reply #501 on: 03 February, 2010, 07:54:55 am »
Still mild and drizzly in S Wales.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #502 on: 03 February, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
Had we been forecast it to be this cold?
I've just turned around and come home- I'm not risking these lanes with that invisibly black shiny slippy stuff :(
Err, yes.  Roughly; anywhere south west of a  line running SE, NW through just north of Oxford / Buckingham. Mild(ish) and rainy. Anywhere t'other side cold and snowy/sleety/icy.  I'm on the "warm" side of the line today. Thankfully.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #503 on: 03 February, 2010, 09:17:57 am »
As I rode to work the sun was appearing on the horizon, giving the clouds a lovely reddish tint, which coupled with the fields and trees that were speckled with ice* made everything look beautiful. Even the vapour clouds from the nearby power station only added to the affect. It was a shame I couldn't spend the whole day cycling.

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #504 on: 03 February, 2010, 12:46:20 pm »
This morning was a very successful puddle and pot hole dodging exercise.  I even managed to get around the the metre wide pot hole hidden in a puddle.  :)

« Reply #505 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:22:01 pm »
That was not as planned.

I watched the last train I could put the bike on this morning pull out of the station as I was on the platform :facepalm:

Cue 27 miles to Fenchurch street to get the train to Barking for a progress meeting on site.
A30 - A315 - A4 - Hammersmith Gyratory, then wrong exit, had planned A4 but ended up going past the Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park corner, Parliament square, embankment, London Bridge 2h 10m.

Coffee, bacon roll and orange juice hit the spot and the cafe didn't bat an eyelid when I brought the bike in with me.  :thumbsup:

The meeting overran so I got to Waterloo on  the way home as the commuting restrictions came in at 16:45. Fortunately the guard on the 16:50 took pity on me and let me on anyway. :thumbsup:

« Reply #506 on: 03 February, 2010, 06:32:31 pm »
Oh and Mr gray mondeo estate on the embankment I folded in your passenger mirror.

We were both going forward at the same speed as the vehicle in front and it was in reach.

So you pulled past and slowed (the traffic in front was stopping for the next set of lights) whilst opening your passenger window. I therefore explained as I folded the mirror out again that if it was in reach it was too close.

« Reply #507 on: 03 February, 2010, 08:08:26 pm »
Took a geared bike for the first time in quite a few weeks today - such an odd feeling, that freewheeling lark!

Twatboy: no, I will not "move the fuck out". Kindly overtake on the outside.

« Reply #508 on: 03 February, 2010, 10:03:49 pm »
Well that was . . . .crap.

The heaviest wet snow I've seen all winter. Ended up taking my glasses off in order to see *anything* (I'm very short-sighted).  Soaked to the skin, thank the gods of modern fabrics for my windproof montane velo. Snow jammed between wheel and mudguard giving the feeling of riding a really crap exercise bike with the resistance turned to max.

2hr 15min to get home. I think the low point was changing down as I approached an intersection and discovering I was already in bottom gear.  >:(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #509 on: 03 February, 2010, 10:11:14 pm »
I got a sore face tonight in the sleety snow. I distinctly remember wondering whether to take a cap this morning and went without.

I also had to dodge what I thought was a road sign lying in the middle of the road but it turns out be roadpaint of a traffic light warning sign. They've helpfully painted this less than a hundred metres from the lights on a downhill stretch of road where two sets of lights are straight ahead and very visible for nearly half a kilometre.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #510 on: 04 February, 2010, 08:36:55 am »
Last night I felt as if I were riding the heaviest bike in the world, I just couldn't 'make progress' though my jorney was only 5mins longer than normal ??? :(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #511 on: 04 February, 2010, 09:43:52 am »
No snow here in Devon but yesterday was very rainy

It was blissful to get to work this morning dry

« Reply #512 on: 04 February, 2010, 12:31:22 pm »
... I got three punctures.  Well strictly speaking two, but when pumping up the second repair, I obviously hadn't reseated the bead on the rim quite right, and got an impressively large <bang> when the inner tube popped.

I wouldn't mind, since I normally carry two spares, but I had a puncture at the weekend on the WARTY, and hadn't had a chance to replace that one yet.  So I had to do two actual puncture repairs "in the field".  It's lucky I also always carry a repair kit as well as the spare inners.

With some luck the fairy will have used up all her wrath on me for a while. <fingers crossed>

(Just in case you were wondering, this wasn't the same bit of glass causing the two punctures.  One was in the rear wheel, and one was in the front.  Totally independent, and eight miles apart).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #513 on: 04 February, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
WVM sort of tried to squeeze me off the road. I stood my ground and he had to back off and had his wing mirror taken off by another van. Nice crunchy sound.

Turning left from Lower Richmond Road onto Putney Bridge. There are two lanes but they narrow considerably. Two cars can just about turn at the same time, one car and one van no, two vans side by side not a chance.

Good luck getting two transit vans side by side through this gap.

(From the satellite view, note how the inside lane narrows nicely up to the cycle reservoir. Also note that the railings in that picture have been removed, there's no way in the world I'd have been going up the inside of a vehicle with them still there unless the traffic light was red and I knew I could get past before it changed.)

The van on his outside cut across him (it was slightly ahead of him as the lights changed) and because WVM was too busy wondering whether his intimidation had worked or not he hadn't noticed the van cutting across him slightly. Not sure where he was going either, the bridge is rammed full of traffic. All he wanted to do was prevent my progress.

Crunchtinkle.

I didn't stop as he'd only blame me. Luckily the traffic was bad enough that I was generally overtaking cars the rest of the journey in to London.

I'll admit it was a bit aggressive filtering on my part, and I feel slightly guilty for distracting him enough that I contributed to it, but then it's a twat in a white van who tried to squeeze me off the road.

Orange YACF jersey wearers of SW London beware, there may be an angry WVM out there looking for revenge but he's only got himself to blame.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #514 on: 04 February, 2010, 01:03:21 pm »

Orange YACF jersey wearers of SW London beware, there may be an angry WVM out there looking for revenge but he's only got himself to blame.

Oh bugger !

That's me today.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #515 on: 04 February, 2010, 01:05:27 pm »

Oh bugger !

That's me today.

I'm safe, I'm only wearing my long sleeved ones at the moment, and they're red and black.  The orange one is strictly summer use only, so hopefully he'll have forgotten by the time the sun reappears!

« Reply #516 on: 04 February, 2010, 01:19:18 pm »
WVM sort of tried to squeeze me off the road. I stood my ground and he had to back off and had his wing mirror taken off by another van. Nice crunchy sound

:) I go that way on my commute. Quite nasty traffic and associated irritable drivers over the last couple of mornings, especially today. I note a sort of mob mentality among the cyclists at times. Interesting...

« Reply #517 on: 04 February, 2010, 01:59:00 pm »
It's my second commute of 2010. Quite dreadful really.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #518 on: 04 February, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »
...my first one on fixed tonight since my 'bent derailleur hanger is sheared.  Ooooh my butt is going to hurt.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #519 on: 04 February, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »

( One was in the rear wheel, and one was in the front.  Totally independent, and eight miles apart).

That's one hell of a long bike...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #520 on: 04 February, 2010, 04:25:31 pm »
(One was in the rear wheel, and one was in the front.  Totally independent, and eight miles apart).

That's one hell of a long bike...

As pointed out recently, I am rather tall. ;D

« Reply #521 on: 04 February, 2010, 11:25:51 pm »
I had an effortless ride in - due to the tail wind.
On the way home a people carrier tried to take me out - silly fool of a driver.
Near home I saw two flashing tail lights in the distance so that gave me something to chase.
One was a friend from work out for her first training ride of the year.
A chap went passed us while we were talking - not even nodding or saying hello.
As we had finished chatting a short time later I set off for home and managed to catch him and as I blew him away I shouted a very loud hello  ;D ;D

« Reply #522 on: 05 February, 2010, 12:20:50 am »
Gods, that was a bit of a commute on the way home.  The loons seemed to be out in force this evening, did I miss a Memo or something?

One guy came within a gnats whisker of taking me out, and I think the only thing which saved me was that he didn't see me at all, even though he was almost driving directly into the light of my Exposure Race Maxx.  If he had seen me, and slowed down even slightly, we would have collided.  As it was, his total and blithe ignorance of anyone else on the road saved me, although it also caused the near miss in the first place. :-\

It was one of those heart pumping, adrenalin rushing near misses that I have every few months.  I can do without them.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #523 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:06:32 am »
boy racer in metallic blue hatchback in Leytonstone this morning, obstructing cycle path while trying to overtake on the left other car stationary in middle of the road that was about to turn right. (he had no chance of passing that car, there wasn't enough space).
Little ting of the cyclist ahead of me, little 300 millisecond parp of air zound from me as we both squeezed through the tiny gap left at walking pace.
F*** Off was his answer to this, then revving his pride and joy like a lunatic and overtaking like a bullet.... a bit scary to watch him approach in the rear mirror.

« Reply #524 on: 05 February, 2010, 12:04:37 pm »
Last night I put myself in a ditch.
I was hauling myself up a narrow little lane on the singlespeed and a car came slowly carefully and considerately down the hill in the other direction. As soon as it passed I eased back out into the centre of the lane only to find the car was towing a trailer and a slightly panicky moving vehicle avoidance clipless moment ensued.

Fool.

Luckily the only witnesses just flew off, clucking & sniggering. At least that's what it sounded like to me.

Incidentally my commuting time is fantastic on the one gear. How does that work? How can I be 10% faster when there's no big gears to thrash on the flat bits?