Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2481746 times)

simonp

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #525 on: 05 February, 2010, 01:55:19 pm »
You gain more by going fast uphill than by going fast on the flat.  Single speed may be making you push harder on the climbs.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #526 on: 05 February, 2010, 02:12:07 pm »
Getting back into the commuting groove - work lately has meant I've either been away from the office, or carting tons of kit.

Rode to and from work yesterday, plus a 10km spin at lunch. Dozy bint in a Beamer pulled alongside me, then I noticed her left indicator (see they do have them). This coupled with a left turn ahead alerted me that bad stuff might happen. I stopped, she stopped. I waited till she had completed her manouvere and then followed  her down the road to explain the error of her ways. However I bottled it at the last minute - too wound up and worried I'd escalate the situation unnecessarily. 47km overall.

Took the longer way in today. Earlier start but a cracking ride. Looking forward to riding home again.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #527 on: 05 February, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »
Incidentally my commuting time is fantastic on the one gear. How does that work? How can I be 10% faster when there's no big gears to thrash on the flat bits?

When I ride my fixed in a group of gearies, I either ease off on the pedals or overtake them as they change gear. You lose a lot of momentum changing gear, even if you do a very good job of it.
Riding fast on the parts of the ride that are allready fast won't gain you as much time as riding a bit faster on the slower bits of the route. If you usualy climb a hill at 5mph and it takes you 2 minutes, you'd gain a minute by climbing at 10mph.
If you usualy descend that hill at 20mph then firstly, you won't be descending for as much time as you'd be climbing it, so your 1 minute 10mph climb is a 30 second 20mph descent. If you descend that hill at 40mph, which would take a lot of doing, you'd gain 45 seconds, so would still need to keep up a very high pace for some time.
A fixed wheel will climb even better than a singlespeed freewheel.

« Reply #528 on: 05 February, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZaohQwoyeU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZaohQwoyeU&rel=1</a>.

I'll wait for youtube to index it before I send off an email.  That way I can suggest they search on their company name for the youtube footage.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #529 on: 05 February, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »
Nabbed!
Getting there...

gordon taylor

« Reply #530 on: 05 February, 2010, 05:28:27 pm »
I got away sharp tonight and rode part of the way home WITH THE SUN ON MY BACK AND MY SHADOW ON THE ROAD IN FRONT.

It must be Spring!

Yippeee dooo dah dayyyyy.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #531 on: 05 February, 2010, 06:03:36 pm »
Incidentally my commuting time is fantastic on the one gear

My (flat) fixed wheel commute average speed is definitely faster than on gears. I think it is because 1) it is a relatively light bike and 2) pootling is not really possible, there is a certain minimum comfortable speed - as long as there is no serious headwind etc. My feeling is that it is more efficient.

simonp

« Reply #532 on: 05 February, 2010, 06:10:36 pm »
My Pompino is faster than my Galaxy.  But I reckon my Madone would be faster still, being about 7kg sans pedals.  Of course I tend not to commute on that.

« Reply #533 on: 05 February, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »
I'm sure I could average the same speed on a geared bike of similar weight - but I think I ride more lazily on gears.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #534 on: 05 February, 2010, 07:13:57 pm »
I'm sure I could average the same speed on a geared bike of similar weight - but I think I ride more lazily on gears.

I think that you've hit the nail on the head there, with gears I'm generally lazier. This afternoon in Richmond Park I was on my geared bike and span up the hills on the granny ring whereas I'd grind my way up on single speed.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #535 on: 05 February, 2010, 07:15:42 pm »
Started using Schwalbe's Matrathon plus on Wednesday, which is advertised as  'flatless'. Punctured tonight on third trip on some broken glass along regent's canal....
 ::-)

-- edit
Mounted police patrolling the canal is quite reassuring while fixing puncture.

gordon taylor

« Reply #536 on: 05 February, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »
Started using Schwalbe's Matrathon plus on Wednesday, which is advertised as  'flatless'. Punctured tonight on third trip on some broken glass along regent's canal....

I put some on at the weekend to replace a worn-through Gatorskin. Bloody hell, they're slow, aren't they!

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #537 on: 05 February, 2010, 09:48:34 pm »
Started using Schwalbe's Matrathon plus on Wednesday, which is advertised as  'flatless'. Punctured tonight on third trip on some broken glass along regent's canal....

I put some on at the weekend to replace a worn-through Gatorskin. Bloody hell, they're slow, aren't they!
Yah, not in the same speed category as gatorskins, feeling like you forgot the handbrake on? On the plus side they're a good way to train the legs until spring.
Did also try Conti sport contact that come with a one year no-puncture guarantee, they fared no better than Schwalbe on the harsh paths of London.

« Reply #538 on: 05 February, 2010, 10:26:40 pm »
...Did also try Conti sport contact that come with a one year no-puncture guarantee, they fared no better than Schwalbe on the harsh paths of London. ...

To be fair to the Sport Contacts, a pair came with all the other bits for the Kaffenback, and I swapped out the rear one in annoyance after 2500 miles and three fairy visitations.   I've just decided to bin the front one after 6000 miles and one fairy visitation.  It doesn't actually look all that bad, but since I need to change the rear Marathon Supreme anyway (big slit), I thought I'd swap both tyres over.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Arno

• Arno
« Reply #539 on: 05 February, 2010, 11:16:43 pm »
...Did also try Conti sport contact that come with a one year no-puncture guarantee, they fared no better than Schwalbe on the harsh paths of London. ...

To be fair to the Sport Contacts, a pair came with all the other bits for the Kaffenback, and I swapped out the rear one in annoyance after 2500 miles and three fairy visitations.   I've just decided to bin the front one after 6000 miles and one fairy visitation.  It doesn't actually look all that bad, but since I need to change the rear Marathon Supreme anyway (big slit), I thought I'd swap both tyres over.
Yes,  my previous comments about  Sport contact and Marathon + were maybe a bit harsh as  I think they're quite sturdy in general compared to many others, and rolling (unintentionnally) on broken glass is bound to attract trouble.
2  commutes is too early to form a reliable opinion.

« Reply #540 on: 05 February, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »
The Sport Contacts are OK, but I don't think I could tolerate them long term for commuting, they simply aren't as bomb proof as something like a Marathon Supreme.  They are a bit easier rolling resistance wise, so I guess it's horses for courses.

simonp

« Reply #541 on: 06 February, 2010, 12:04:36 am »

My tyre of choice for all except my touring bike are Continental GP4S.  The tyre that the Gatorskin should have been.

ian

« Reply #542 on: 06 February, 2010, 11:45:52 am »

Yes,  my previous comments about  Sport contact and Marathon + were maybe a bit harsh as  I think they're quite sturdy in general compared to many others, and rolling (unintentionnally) on broken glass is bound to attract trouble.
2  commutes is too early to form a reliable opinion.

Standard Marathons have served me well in London - two punctures in the last three years of fairly extensive commuting on road and paths. First one was a jagged half Becks bottle submerged in a puddle (and o, who can resist a big splashy puddle, sploshy temptress of muddy joy), the second one was a thin piece of metal wire through the sidewall. Yes, I evidently cycle through some kind of post-apocalyptic landscape. Welcome to south-east London.

« Reply #543 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:22:32 am »
but I think I ride more lazily on gears.
I think this is the answer.

When all risk of ice is gone I'll flip the wheel and we'll see if TG is right with my legs.

« Reply #544 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:16:36 pm »
When all risk of ice is gone I'll flip the wheel and we'll see if TG is right with my legs.

Will you use the same sized gear fixed as your singlespeed?
If you use a low gear (less than 65") and freewheel on descents, it's probably worth upping the gear by about 5".
If you use something like a 65-75" gear on the singlespeed, I'd keep it about the same for fixed.
65" fixed is a good starting point, but can be unnerving on descents at first, until you get used to spinning the legs.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #545 on: 08 February, 2010, 08:13:56 am »
Ah. So that's what the big ring is for.  Wheeeee! ;D
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #546 on: 08 February, 2010, 10:18:57 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZaohQwoyeU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-ZaohQwoyeU&rel=1</a>.

I'll wait for youtube to index it before I send off an email.  That way I can suggest they search on their company name for the youtube footage.

Happy happies. Another successful campaign action. Response from a Morrison PR Officer that the driver will be dealt with by HR, and the video used to reinforce training about phone usage in company vehicles.

Well done Morrison Utility Services, thank you!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

ian

« Reply #547 on: 08 February, 2010, 12:17:38 pm »
Well, yesterday.

Mother (I assume) in a people carrier, at least three young kids strapped in, attempting to negotiate a right turn on what is effectively a staggered crossroad on a busy main road into Beckenham (by Birkbeck station), with poor sight lines owing the tram/train bridge (which the road has to dip under). Gradually edging out into traffic without once looking to her left or across the junction to where I was (commonsense advised me to just leave her to it, the probability of her noticing a cyclist was nil). She wasn't indicating, but then she was far enough into the main roadway for her intent to be clear.

It probably goes without saying that she had a mobile wedged between shoulder and ear and was deep in conversation (this explains why she could only look left). She seemed to be rummaging under the dashboard for something at the same time, which I assume was why the phone wasn't in her hand.

Anyway, she was almost hit by two cars but despite some vigorous beeping I don't even think she noticed, so evidently engrossing was her phone call. Last seen heading toward Beckenham.

FFS, what conversation can be that important? I was waving my arms and mouthing PUT THE PHONE DOWN (which she also didn't notice) since I was convinced something was going to broadside her, and it really was just pure unadulterated luck she made it through unscathed.

« Reply #548 on: 08 February, 2010, 12:58:40 pm »
Almost slapped in the face by an arabic man who was gesticulating wildly out of the window of his parked van, bopped a dog on it's head when I went past it dead slow, but it decided to do a 180° turn and smacked it's head into my bottom bracket, triggered the 30mph(1) warning sign on Cedars Road, got lightly snowed on, and came within a hair's breadth of being doored half a mile from work.

So, a fairly normal days commute. ;D

Footnote (1): I was probably only doing 22mph or so, and there were no other cars on the road, so I assume it triggered on the spokes on my wheel (the uppers ones of which would have been doing 44mph).

« Reply #549 on: 08 February, 2010, 08:02:01 pm »
Good bit of snow on the way out to Richmond way this evening - wasn't expecting that really. Glad I packed an extra layer. Pleasant enough  :)