Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462447 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #650 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:11:37 am »
ii) in the dark it doesn't look as icy as it does in daylight  :o

Oddly enough, recently I've often found it easier to spot ice at night, it reflects back from the light with a twinklyness that tarmac doesn't generally demonstrate.
Actually, it is rocket science.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #651 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:41:24 am »
I ended my (very brief) use of overshoes.

Seems the bent puts my feet at an unexpected position when waiting at lights, with the result that the waterproof membrane has lifted and ripped around the toes.

Well, it was warm whilst it lasted.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #652 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:43:16 am »
Snow on the Blackdowns.  Only on the high up bits.  Drop down and it's light rain

« Reply #653 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:47:26 am »
I ended my (very brief) use of overshoes.

Seems the bent puts my feet at an unexpected position when waiting at lights, with the result that the waterproof membrane has lifted and ripped around the toes.

Well, it was warm whilst it lasted.

You *need* some winter boots.  Toasty comfy lovelyness on such a long and wet commute.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #654 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:48:08 am »
A surprisingly nice ride in. Lots of patches of lumpy frozen snow, but no offs  :thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #655 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:55:19 am »

You *need* some winter boots.  Toasty comfy lovelyness on such a long and wet commute.
[/quote]

How do I know winter boots won't suffer the same fate? You and I both know Wendy's little tootsies never touch the ground.

« Reply #656 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:56:25 am »
Because soles of shoes are tougher than "membranes".   :P

« Reply #657 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:10:21 am »
Another cold ride.  I had my Bones on with my Gore Tex over the top.  I was toasty but don't remember having to do that much layering before.

Lovely ride in though.

« Reply #658 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:17:22 am »
This guy.

Less funny was private hire cab LG58PHV who decided that passing so close to the cyclist in front of me that his wing mirror actually touched the guy's elbow was perfectly acceptable behaviour.

turned out of the same road this morning as he did yesterday morning. It's a cul de sac. I'm betting he lives there.

Note on the windscreen? Something along the lines of: "You're a dangerous driver and I know where you live!"

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #659 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:20:27 am »
Because soles of shoes are tougher than "membranes".   :P

But its not the soles that hit the floor. 'Cos I'm horizontal, it tends to be the very tip of my toe that is in contact with the ground, and sometimes the top of the front of the shoe too. Might have to look around for a pair with a wrap around sole at the the front :)

« Reply #660 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:22:44 am »
Just stick a bumper on there if by chance the sole doesn't touch.  Done all the time in skating.

@Alex, maybe a note with a copy of rule 163, including the image, and explaining that you saw him pass close enough to touch a cyclist with his mirror.  I would always be specific, because these sorts of driver are very unlikely to understand hints, at least even less so than a random ordinary person.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #661 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:29:23 am »
Good idea. Cheers!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #662 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:31:05 am »
<snip>
Still have to find some way to waterproof the cleat openings in my MTB soles though...
<snip>
Fernox LS-X external leak sealer, about 5 or 6 quid a tube from DIY places like B&Q.  Doesn't go rock hard so replacing cleats and plates is easy enough.

Product details: LS-X
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
« Reply #663 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:33:32 am »
Thanks TheLurker. I could yet find my way back with warm toes. Good times!

TheLurker

« Reply #664 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:39:51 am »
Easy peasy ride in this morning; getting light from about 0625, roads dry, good side/tail wind and not too cold. 

Mind you I'll pay for it tonight.  The forecast is for heavy wet and that delightful tail wind of this morning... ah I can see you're ahead of me. :)

« Reply #665 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:13:27 am »
Punctured in Battersea Park - rear wheel, naturally. All going well until the tyre wouldn't seat properly in the rim next to the new valve, so I spent at least 20 mins fiddling with it to try and get it to go in properly. Then realised that the new tube wouldn't inflate. Just as well I had a second spare. And cursed myself for not having my trusty frame pump, having to rely instead on the shitty little mini pump (mini pump = mini inflation) and taking it easy the rest of the way in on a very soft tyre. 45 mins just to change a tube. Gah.

And on top of that, I started out thinking that I would save my gloves from the gak on my bike, which is the dirtiest it has ever been in its entire life, and do it bare-handed - easy enough to wash hands at work. Which would have been fine if I'd been able to do it quickly. Instead, I now have ingrained grime in my knuckles, fingers, and especially under my long nails which are impossible to clean out properly without a nailbrush and some muc-off. I had the cracking idea of giving my nails an emergency coat of polish to try and hide it, but the grime is showing through and now I look like some skanky bag lady.

So, lunchtime trip: Boots for nail polish remover, Action Bikes for muc-off wipes.

Good grief.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #666 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:24:46 am »
Skanky bag ladies (who can repair p*nct*res) FTW!
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #667 on: 23 February, 2010, 11:55:18 am »
To pick up on the "Overshoes" discussion

I was given a pair of Endura Neoprene overshoes for xmas
They have "kevlar reinforced" straps across the soles

After less than 3 months commuting the straps across the soles are looking like old sacks and very frayed.  On the right foot bootie the stitching across the front of the foot is coming undone

Warm and comfy...yes
Durable...no

ian

« Reply #668 on: 23 February, 2010, 12:00:04 pm »
This guy.

Less funny was private hire cab LG58PHV who decided that passing so close to the cyclist in front of me that his wing mirror actually touched the guy's elbow was perfectly acceptable behaviour.

turned out of the same road this morning as he did yesterday morning. It's a cul de sac. I'm betting he lives there.

Note on the windscreen? Something along the lines of: "You're a dangerous driver and I know where you live!"

Possibly unethical and probably untruthful. But leave a note telling him that you saw him hit another road user and leave the scene, and have duly reported it and provided his details to the police, so he should expect them to call around shortly.

A few days of worry might encourage him to revisit his attitude to driving.

TheLurker

« Reply #669 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »

After less than 3 months commuting the straps across the soles are looking like old sacks and very frayed.  On the right foot bootie the stitching across the front of the foot is coming undone

Warm and comfy...yes
Durable...no

Stick with them.  They get to a certain state of dilapidation very quickly and then they last for absolutely ages.  My current pair, Xmas '07, got to the state you can see in the photograph within a month or two and they haven't got significantly worse since.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #670 on: 23 February, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »

After less than 3 months commuting the straps across the soles are looking like old sacks and very frayed.  On the right foot bootie the stitching across the front of the foot is coming undone

Warm and comfy...yes
Durable...no

Stick with them.  They get to a certain state of dilapidation very quickly and then they last for absolutely ages.  My current pair, Xmas '07, got to the state you can see in the photograph within a month or two and they haven't got significantly worse since.

Yep I've got those, only have lost one of the pair  :( It does make your feet look like a zeppelin in a condom though...I bought the small size (size 5) and it took me a few minutes to get them over my shoes.

« Reply #671 on: 23 February, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »
You should try looking at size 12 shoes in overshoes then.
Especially with tight ankles from lycra leggings  ;D

« Reply #672 on: 23 February, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »

Warm and comfy...yes
Durable...no

I've got some I bought from ProBikeKit. They're now pretty tatty around the toes, but the kevlar reinforcement seems to work fine, so although the neoprene has holes in, it's all held together by kevlar cloth.
I agree though, they get tatty looking very quickly and then just stop wearing out. Once you have a hole in the toe it's your shoe making contact with the ground again - there's nothing to wear out anymore!

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #673 on: 23 February, 2010, 06:32:44 pm »
Bloomin' weather! It started snowing ten minutes before I could leave work this evening. Normally cycling in snow isn't too bad, but this was driving snow and I kept getting eye fulls of the stuff, which was horrible. Plus it was only just cold enough for snow, meaning as soon as the snow hit anything (ie me) it melted, so by the time I was home I was very soggy and cold. Top marks for the yacf buff that I turned into a balaclava after about 2 km of the commute to keep me warm.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #674 on: 23 February, 2010, 07:54:42 pm »
20 miles home into a raging headwind blizzard again this evening....
White roads, very few motons, could not see much of the scenery other than the road due to the driving snow...
Forecast 8C tomorrow afternoon, falling to -1C in the evening - thats UK weather for you!