Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484715 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #725 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:15:09 am »
No ice,
How did you manage that?
Still sheets of it here >:(
Maybe I just get up earlier than you...

« Reply #726 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »
Lovely lovely ride this morning :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #727 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »
You forgot to mention the poo ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #728 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
Well, it's all gone now :), and that wasn't enough unlovely to make up for all the lovely :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #729 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:22:38 pm »
There was lots of lovely. Especially on the first half of my commute :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #730 on: 01 March, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »
You forgot to mention the poo ;D

Hope that wasn't "poo" poo?  :o
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #731 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:05:58 pm »
Mrs G has been reminding me that I promised to get home on time.  So tonight, after being reminded that I had not accomplished my promise of late I caned it home  ;D 
My reward was to have dinner with my family - all together at the table.  :thumbsup:

ed_o_brain

« Reply #732 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:52:17 pm »
Commute home was a disaster. Managed to lock the folding bike in the office and myself out the office. I left my fob on my desk and nipped out to the loo. half unfolded bike left in doorway behind the locked door. Fortunately I at least had my wallet with me!

« Reply #733 on: 01 March, 2010, 09:23:24 pm »
Here's my nice bus driver from Saturday:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SWqQHXFagDE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/SWqQHXFagDE&rel=1</a>
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #734 on: 01 March, 2010, 10:01:22 pm »
The faerie seems on my case  :(.

When I finally made it home this evening, I was heard -- for pretty much the first time ever -- to speak the dread words "Marathon Plus".
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #735 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:28:22 pm »
Commute home was brilliant. I went to a public lecture after work, so it was gone 9pm by the time I was heading home. The full moon was strong, the night clear, the roads empty and my new Hope Vision light lit the way wonderfully. Just over 14 km at an average of 28.4 kph put a smile on face.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #736 on: 01 March, 2010, 11:38:17 pm »
I had a nice commute too - not terribly fast (and rather heavily laden on the way home) but I took advantage of being on the Marin to take a short muddy Thames path section both ways. The latter was especially good in the dark: Fenix L2D is pretty hard to beat on a short commute when you are not too bothered about run time and can run it full tilt, very nicely shaped beam for towpath type stuff.  

There was a definite increase in driver niceness: waiting for me to get through pinch points, for instance, and this morning I could hear a black cab driver backing off to let me go around a bad patch on the road (I'd been preparing to ride more or less over it as per usual). 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #737 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:02:44 am »
I went through a bit earlier than usual today, and took the alternate route via the Col de St Reatham, but it was uncommonly clear.  I was doing 35kph past Brixton Town Hall, and 26kph past Atlantic Road, which is almost unheard of.  Yes, there was a bit of stopping & starting after that, and what looked a bit like car knitting near Walworth to get through, but it was a brilliant ride.  Fastest of the year, I think, and the fastest maximum so far this year.

Cold but sunny.  Lovely.

Getting there...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #738 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:03:09 pm »
Despite suffering from the dreaded lurgy, and having no sleep, I had a fantastic ride in today.

Sun just starting to come up, motons giving me plenty of room and no ice.  Managed to reach a max of 29.3mph on my way in, and still averaged 13.5 for the whole distance....

I iz enjoying this...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #739 on: 02 March, 2010, 01:23:26 pm »
Cold but sunny here, too. Surprised to find a lovely 'icing sugar' coating of snow on fields, trees and cyclepath. No ice tho'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #740 on: 02 March, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »
Colder today and much less ice.
Caned it home last night.  Couldn't repeat it tonight but I tried.
Shagged now.  Can't move the legs very well.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #741 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:21:35 pm »
Cold again tonight, but a lot of fun, even on the A23. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #742 on: 02 March, 2010, 08:28:22 pm »
And on the way home the front gear cable outer exploded. Really. It looked liked an Alien had erupted from it's innards.  So much for poncy parallel-strand Shimano cable outers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #743 on: 02 March, 2010, 09:52:17 pm »
On the way home I had a family in a car wind down their window while we were in traffic to ask how far I'd ridden as I had two rear panniers on.

"About a mile, I've just left work". They thought it was funny and it put a smile on my face that someone was interested enough to ask.

Then a couple of miles later someone stopped their car and got out to tell me that they thought my wallet had fallen out at the lights. It had and I am very grateful to the bloke in the silver Mondeo. Ta.

The sun was mostly shining, one pair of gloves, no buffs - just a cap, no overshoes and I nearly got home before the streetlights came on. A good trip.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #744 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:00:56 am »
Stupid incident spoiled my ride completely this morning, even worse that the ride was shaping up to be a beauty :(

A cyclist who we see relatively frequently, who always passes within a hairs-breadth, did it to me again this morning on the approach to Kennington Road. This time he was so close, just before some nasty broken up tarmac, that it gave me a real scare. There weren't even any cars in the lane next to the bus lane.

Unfortunately I chased him down (not difficult) and leant on him and shouted "next time you want to pass someone that close, do it on the club run" before moving back away. He wasn't very happy about this, unsurprisingly, and all the way down Kennington Road we had a chat about his pass. He couldn't see any difference between his "I didn't touch you" and my "You passed me dangerously close and intimidated me"

I apologised for leaning on him, but he was too full of self righteous indignation to accept it and too full of his own skills as a cyclist to agree to pass with more room next time we met, simply coming back with the standard moton justification of "I didn't touch you".

Pissweasel. >:(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #745 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:21:25 am »
My brake broke :(

With a kershproingklunk from the vicinity of the lever.

And now the rear disk is jammed on, and I don't know anything at all about how to fix disk brakes.

Fortunately this happened about 10 minutes walk from a friend-wivva-garage's house.  Well, nearer 20 minutes if you're carrying a bike with a wheel that won't go round.  And there was a garage with a cashpoint fairly close to the bus stop so I could go and extract bus fare money.  So it only took me an hour and a half to get to work today....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #746 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:24:37 am »
Last night I was flying, took me 29:49 to get back, sun shining and, although not warm, it wasn't freezing either.

This morning was a similar story, so much so that I packed my jacket in the rack pack and rode in just in my cycling top (and shorts, natch).

I think my old form may be returning :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #747 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:27:09 am »
leant on him and shouted "next time you want to pass someone that close, do it on the club run"

Nice one Jacomus!  Yes, I know it's wrong, but well done.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #748 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:30:26 am »
... he was so close, just before some nasty broken up tarmac, that it gave me a real scare. There weren't even any cars in the lane next to the bus lane.

... He couldn't see any difference between his "I didn't touch you" and my "You passed me dangerously close and intimidated me"

...he was too full of self righteous indignation to accept it and too full of his own skills as a cyclist to agree to pass with more room next time we met, simply coming back with the standard moton justification of "I didn't touch you".

Pissweasel. >:(

I think I can guess what club he belongs to.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #749 on: 03 March, 2010, 09:38:16 am »
Grand ride in this morning, even unspoiled by the tosspot from Merton Timber, who was unable to anticipate, so accelerated past me as I was trying to pull out round a bus.  Never mind, the weather was good, there were loads of cyclists on the road, and my speed was good.  Just wish I hadn't had to stop at work :(
Getting there...