Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2492135 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #800 on: 08 March, 2010, 03:36:24 pm »
Use a website like:

The HTML Document Character Set or

HTML Codes - Characters and symbols

...and just cut and paste the relevant character.  With things like 2/3 you have to bugger about with the [sup] and [sub] tags, since there is no HTML symbol for this.  There are symbols for ¼, ¾ & ½.

Back OT, I didn't think it was particularly cold today.  I didn't wear anything different or exceptional from what I've been wearing.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #801 on: 08 March, 2010, 04:54:46 pm »
By 'eck it was nippy first thing, quite bracing though.  I nearly didn't bother with the extra layer, glad I did.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #802 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:06:18 pm »
Today I saw an oxblood leather sofa sitting in the burn.  ???
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #803 on: 08 March, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »
Fast commute in on the TCR with that botersome Easterly behind me.
Twas not so fast on the way home but still ace.
Witnessed and accident between car rear ending motorcycle on the way home.  Did my eye witness bit and exchanged names and details and explained to them the process.  No injuries so all fine and dandy.

« Reply #804 on: 08 March, 2010, 08:18:17 pm »
So that's why motorists think that cyclists jump red lights?

I came to a large 3 lane traffic roundabout set of lights that were clearly on green (all four of them)
and proceeded through them in the outside lane.

While at the same time turning to and beckoned  the car driver in the middle lane
that had now pulled up to come on through with me.  

He then realised they were green and not red and then easily proceeded through.  The dopey twat.   ;D
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #805 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »
I was glad the wind was behind me on the way home, since I've clearly still got a bit of whatever lurgy stopped me commuting by bike last week. :-\

The downside is that I know tomorrow morning, like today, is going to be a bit of a slog.  Ho hum, at least in the evenings when I feel a lot less fresh I'll get a boost from the weather!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #806 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »
First commute in this year that was not in pitch black  :thumbsup:

I may have been on holibobs last week, but when I got back on the bike this morning I realised how much I had missed it. So much so I was decidely chirpy when I got to work this morning  :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #807 on: 08 March, 2010, 10:22:04 pm »
As I rode out of Balham on the way home, I passed a van with the windows open, with the passenger singing with enthusiasm but no tune.  He caught me looking, shut up and blushed.

'Enjoy it!' I said, and we laughed together, then he started singing again.
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #808 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:25:00 am »
This morning was mainly slooooow because of the head wind and I was also feeling lethargic after rock climbing last night. However, it was 4.5 °C when I left home this morning, so positively balmy after yesterday when it was 0 °C. Being able to cycle without wearning my my overshoes or Pertex windproof is nice :thumbsup:
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #809 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:26:29 am »
Flat tyre before I set off. As I didn't have a spare tube, I thought I'd better fix it at home before leaving. Good thing I did, it was a 2nd hole I'd missed last time.

The zip pull was broken on my overshoe. Then the zip pull broke on the other one.

My cycle computer has stopped working.

The freehub is still faulty.

erm, anything else going to go wrong?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #810 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:31:14 am »
I got the bus. Still not able to ride after my crash on Thursday.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #811 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:32:07 am »
Last night I was on a flyer, 26:21 for the 7.7 miles, this morning a good deal slower, 34:30 for the same distance.

Could have something to do with the hangover I had this morning....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #812 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:43:01 am »
I got the bus. Still not able to ride after my crash on Thursday.

:/

The good news is that by the time you are back on your bike, the days of worrying about black ice will be over.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris N

« Reply #813 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:46:18 am »
I drafted a crop sprayer for four or five miles this morning at 20 mph. Didn't smell or sound very nice, but it did wonders for my average speed!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #814 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:46:38 am »
I forgot to look out for the ice I slipped on yesterday.  Guess it was gone, then ???
Getting there...

« Reply #815 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:57:20 am »
No ice today!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I left the clearing and was pootling through the woods at 6.30am, half asleep dodging the enormous holes in the track when suddenly something fell from the sky. A squirrel! It fell at least 20ft from the overhanging trees to less than a foot from my front wheel and I laughed out loud at it. Would've been nasty if it had hit me eh?

« Reply #816 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:08:28 am »
No ice today.  No best bike either as that obviously picked up a small puncture yesterday and it slow released overnight.   Cue a quick lights change and Hope came out.
It was like getting back into a comfy armchair.  :thumbsup:

Two new dead badgers on route to work.  The first one was gimacing in death just off the nearside and made me wonder how easy it would be to extract some of it's teeth.  I was thinking about a badger tooth necklace  ::-)

« Reply #817 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:11:42 am »
No ice today.  No best bike either as that obviously picked up a small puncture yesterday and it slow released overnight.   Cue a quick lights change and Hope came out.

Is your best bike not comfortable then ?

« Reply #818 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:13:32 am »
Yes, very but in a more racy way.  Different material, different riding position ( lower ) and much stiffer so more responsive.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #819 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:13:41 am »

Two new dead badgers on route to work.  The first one was gimacing in death just off the nearside and made me wonder how easy it would be to extract some of it's teeth.  I was thinking about a badger tooth necklace  ::-)

Make use of the badgers that you see...  ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #820 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:15:55 am »
I drafted a crop sprayer for four or five miles this morning at 20 mph. Didn't smell or sound very nice...

I wouldn't worry, the driver probably didn't even notice you.

Back commuting yesterday and today after driving last week.  Like Rafa Benitez, I have a bad side.  Still not right but getting slowly better and the drugs work.  Yesterday was hard, but this morning was springier - both me and the weather.  Still v. cold, though.

2 dead foxes.

« Reply #821 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:27:49 am »
2 dead foxes.
Two new dead badgers on route to work.

My roadkill tally: 4 rats

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #822 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:38:56 am »
A tad warmer this morning, which is welcome

« Reply #823 on: 09 March, 2010, 12:22:56 pm »
A dead badger at the top of Coombe Lane hill. This in deepest suburbia.
Rust never sleeps

ed_o_brain

« Reply #824 on: 09 March, 2010, 01:13:57 pm »
Off work sick with dreaded lurgy. We all have it. It's mucus central at the brain HQ.

Very little cycle commuting last week either, due to other commitments. So defo not getting the mileage I expected for the first quarter of this year.

It also means I'm probably not going to get a return on my investment in Sno tyres this year. I won't mention the new disc brakes, but from what my nephew in the trade says, the Avid squidgys would have given out on me sooner or later anyway.