Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487541 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #825 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:10:36 pm »
Blow me down!
I am STILL passing patches of snow on the way home in the evenings...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #826 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:19:40 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #827 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:40:07 pm »
That is quality  :thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #828 on: 09 March, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
What I like best about it is that the cushions have happy faces in them.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #829 on: 10 March, 2010, 07:39:48 am »
Today's commute was completely unremarkable.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #830 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:51:06 am »
Horrible headwind - just light enough to make me think that I can overcome it but constant and strong enough to sap me of energy.

Still, I got to ride my bicycle so :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #831 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:50:26 am »
The wind was awful, but a whole series of bumbrained antics by motor pilots of various forms meant there were standing queues of motor traffic from Tooting to Southwark (or maybe beyond - I don't know).  A pleasingly large number of cyclists flowed around, through & past them.  I got to work in a normal sort of time.  I would estimate that the average delay to a car driver would be in excess of 30mins.
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #832 on: 10 March, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
Air temp 19*c.no wind.sunny.no traffic.......no problem ;)

same again :)

« Reply #833 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:17:35 am »
Tailwind to work.  Stopped to stroke the stomach of a badger on the way in.  Photo when I get home.

Picked up a JCB at the head of a long line of traffic in the centre of Devizes.  Tanked it passed and then took advantage of the rolling road block behind so straight lined for about a mile  ;D

At the top of Caen Hill I saw my favourite quary in the distance - a milk float.  It was just turning into Poulshot.

Now on the flat with a strong tailwind I was trying hard to catch it on the flat.  It was acting like a metal kite and was doing 22.2 mph.  I am sure the chap was doing his best to not get overtaken as it was the normal miserable milkman of a driver.  A smile would crack his facade.

As I tucked in behind it for a brief recovery I saw I was now doing 22.9 mph.  I then took a deep breath and really pushed down and came out and around.  I am now doing 23.7 mph and all I thought about now was putting some distance between us so mad Mr Milkman could not get the satisfaction of overtaking me.

Job done.  When I get to work I averaged 19.3 mph for the 24.3 miles  ;D

« Reply #834 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
Stopped to stroke the stomach of a badger on the way in.  Photo when I get home.

Had it succumbed to the traffic in the night?   :(
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #835 on: 10 March, 2010, 11:42:08 am »
Stopped to stroke the stomach of a badger on the way in.  Photo when I get home.
If that's a euphemism, I don't want to see the photo... :hand:
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #836 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:09:29 pm »
The wind was awful, but a whole series of bumbrained antics by motor pilots of various forms meant there were standing queues of motor traffic from Tooting to Southwark (or maybe beyond - I don't know).  A pleasingly large number of cyclists flowed around, through & past them.  I got to work in a normal sort of time.  I would estimate that the average delay to a car driver would be in excess of 30mins.

Yep, the A202 was terrible this morning, worst I have ever seen it.

« Reply #837 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »

It is the one that was grinning at me yesterday  ::-)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #838 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:27:49 pm »

It is the one that was grinning at me yesterday  ::-)

You are Ron Davies AICMFP!

« Reply #839 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #840 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:48:48 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #841 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:07:21 pm »

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #842 on: 10 March, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »
and a warm hat

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #843 on: 11 March, 2010, 07:38:01 am »
Nice trip in.  Started with the merest sliver of a crescent moon in a pale blue sky,  lovely sunrise.  Cool but invigorating rather than debilitating, no breeze to speak of and cute (live) fauna into the bargain; barn owl, woodpecker making a racket at Quenington, pheasants galore, bunnies and buzzards. Oh and lots of yellowhammers and a few newish lambs at Poulton Fields.

Then I got here. *sigh* :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #844 on: 11 March, 2010, 07:45:00 am »
A relatively quiet ride in today, apart from a number 90 bus emulating the Imperial Coaches move of starting to pass me then cut me up.

LK08FNF, there is an email on it's way to your boss today....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #845 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:53:34 am »
For the first time in 9 years, I actually had a companion for over 1/2 the way in this morning going at the same speed as I! He also turned out to be a colleague at work.
A very pleasant experience and about 2 minutes faster.
Things must be improving - 9 years ago, I could commute for 6 months and see no other cyclist at all.  :)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #846 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:00:42 am »
Good ride, but it seemed uphill all the way to Southwark, with a cold and relentless headwind.  But, despite that, and a number of morons, I got a swift ride in. :)
Getting there...

Fluffy

« Reply #847 on: 11 March, 2010, 10:25:03 am »
A pretty uneventful ride yesterday and today, yesterday was kinda reassuring as I let a car pass me on a narrow road and he flashed his hazards in thanks, made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, makes a big change. Same happened today when I let a bus pass me just before the bus/taxi/cycle lane, he flashed me also. This sunny weather makes cycling more satisfying and motorists seem happier too.

« Reply #848 on: 11 March, 2010, 11:03:28 am »
Good ride, but it seemed uphill all the way to Southwark, with a cold and relentless headwind.  But, despite that, and a number of morons, I got a swift ride in. :)

My headwind was such that at one point I stopped to check my tyres were still inflated! But I'm extra paranoid since my inner tube escaping and nearly killing me...

« Reply #849 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:28:52 pm »
Nice trip in.  Started with the merest sliver of a crescent moon in a pale blue sky,  lovely sunrise.  Cool but invigorating rather than debilitating, no breeze to speak of and cute (live) fauna into the bargain; barn owl, woodpecker making a racket at Quenington, pheasants galore, bunnies and buzzards. Oh and lots of yellowhammers and a few newish lambs at Poulton Fields.

Then I got here. *sigh* :)

I know what you mean. If I arise from the pit early enough, I'll go the very slightly longer way along the stream and lake. I'll see ducks, bunnies, geese, some other water birds (?) and a heron if I'm lucky. Getting to work is the downside, but I do feel happier at work for a while after a good ride in.