Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462767 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #850 on: 11 March, 2010, 08:35:59 pm »
I had some naive idea that ambulance drivers were more considerate than others, maybe because they watch people being scraped up off the tarmac as part of the job.

Today's ride home has changed my opinion.

simonp

« Reply #851 on: 12 March, 2010, 12:20:26 am »
Got beeped on the way to work for, er, nothing, really.  Riding down the road at 20mph, secondary pos., car coming the other way car behind beeps (slightly too long to be "I'm here") then overtakes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #852 on: 12 March, 2010, 09:31:20 am »
I had some naive idea that ambulance drivers were more considerate than others, maybe because they watch people being scraped up off the tarmac as part of the job.

G4S?  I've had problems with their drivers.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #853 on: 12 March, 2010, 09:47:35 am »
Splendid ride.  Felt like a tailwind, but it really wasn't.  Nice contrast to the struggles of the last two mornings, where I've managed a decent speed, but into a headwind.  I managed an average of 23.3kph, which is very fast for me.  I was just thinking as I was dragging myself up the slight rise of our road that it's the mornings where I start with my legs feeling rubbish that I get the best rides.  Odd that. 

By the time I reached Mitcham Common, roadworks notwithstandng, I glanced down at my Babbage Engine, and saw it read 24.1kph and the pacer arrow was pointing downwards.  I lost a little pace going through Tooting (I always do), especially because I saw a cyclist knocked off and stopped to prevent a punch up, but, by the time I was in Clapham, I was moving well.  It felt really good.  Shame I have to do some work now.  And that I'm not riding home tonight (but that's for a very good reason ;) )
Getting there...

« Reply #854 on: 12 March, 2010, 09:48:39 am »

Like this one:   ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vuVk4NkeeLM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vuVk4NkeeLM&rel=1</a>

I love the comments....
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #855 on: 12 March, 2010, 10:53:32 am »
So, this morning, I was riding into Tooting, coming down from the bridge at the station, when I saw a cyclist coming the other way in the bus lane just past the Police Station.

Coming past Seely Road, he was struck by a van driving out without looking.  As I pulled up, the cyclist had opened the van door, and was hitting the driver with his bike.  OK, the pillock deserved it, but I felt that it probably wasn't appropriate.  So I calmed things down by asking if the cyclist was OK, and then giving his bike a quick glance, noticing his bars were askew, but it seemed generally OK.

The bus driver who had witnessed the incident obviously felt it was nothing to do with him, as he pulled right round me to progress towards Mitcham. ::-)

The cyclist went on, but I had a few words (all suitable pre-watershed) for the driver before I left it.  Though I suspect his English was almost non-existent.

Could I have reported it, given we were almost right outside Tooting Police Station?  really, what would have been the point?  I would have made myself late for work and got annoyed (yet again) by tossers who don't give a fuck.  Besides, I was riding quite well, so I let my vanity take over and I set off again, determined to report the van on the MPS website.

Half an hour of exhilirating riding later, I'd forgotten the Reg number.  I'd even forgotten the company name on the side of the van. :-[

Not fulfilling my duty as an active citizen, really, though I console myself with having stopped a fight and checked the victim was OK.
Getting there...

« Reply #856 on: 14 March, 2010, 09:27:19 pm »

Crocodile Grubdee: "Well, you can live on it, but it taste like shit."
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #857 on: 15 March, 2010, 10:19:52 am »
At the weekend the summer commute bike was fettled.  Various parts were checked and lubricated.  The tyres were pumped up.  The little saddle pack was fitted.

But on monday morning there was freezing fog first thing so I took the winter bike with full lights.  It really was freezing.  I stopped to try and work out an annoying rattle from the front mudguard and noticed ice forming on the V brakes

There was fog in the valley I live in but it was clear and sunny at the top of the Blackdown Hills and over in Taunton

Maybe tomorrow...

« Reply #858 on: 15 March, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
I got blown in... and the sun is shining... and all is well with the world...
 :)

« Reply #859 on: 15 March, 2010, 02:17:06 pm »
First day without tights and a jacket. Apologies to anyone who saw my white legs.

« Reply #860 on: 15 March, 2010, 05:28:44 pm »
So, this morning, I was riding into Tooting, coming down from the bridge at the station, when I saw a cyclist coming the other way in the bus lane just past the Police Station.

Coming past Seely Road, he was struck by a van driving out without looking.  As I pulled up, the cyclist had opened the van door, and was hitting the driver with his bike.  OK, the pillock deserved it, but I felt that it probably wasn't appropriate.  So I calmed things down by asking if the cyclist was OK, and then giving his bike a quick glance, noticing his bars were askew, but it seemed generally OK.

The bus driver who had witnessed the incident obviously felt it was nothing to do with him, as he pulled right round me to progress towards Mitcham. ::-)

The cyclist went on, but I had a few words (all suitable pre-watershed) for the driver before I left it.  Though I suspect his English was almost non-existent.

Could I have reported it, given we were almost right outside Tooting Police Station?  really, what would have been the point?  I would have made myself late for work and got annoyed (yet again) by tossers who don't give a fuck.  Besides, I was riding quite well, so I let my vanity take over and I set off again, determined to report the van on the MPS website.

Half an hour of exhilirating riding later, I'd forgotten the Reg number.  I'd even forgotten the company name on the side of the van. :-[

Not fulfilling my duty as an active citizen, really, though I console myself with having stopped a fight and checked the victim was OK.

I carry a marker pen in the side pocket of my Carradice. It will write on anything, even in pouring rain. A quick scribble on my wrist or the back of my hand will last for hours, or wash off in seconds with dilute alcohol. Worth thinking about for the future?

« Reply #861 on: 15 March, 2010, 06:14:33 pm »
I was flagged down by a motorist on this morning's commute.  I was instantly on the defensive and wondered whether I had cut him up or upset him in some other way.  It turned out that he had broken down and wanted to borrow a phone.

Five phone calls later and he had still not managed to get anyone to answer.  One of the unanswered calls was because he had accidentally dialled his own mobile that was still at home.  At that point he gave up and started walking.

I had been a bit late setting off and the stiff headwind wasn't helping with my attempts to get to work on time.  I now had the perfect excuse for being late and just cruised in. 8)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #862 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:54:40 am »
Mixed bag this morning.

On the plus side... beautiful sunshine, first skylark of the year, barn owl, yellowhammers, pheasants, rabbits, magpies, blackbirds and more LBJs than you can shake a stick at.

However... I'm only just getting feeling back in my thumbs and  what the hell have they been spreading on the fields this year? It is positively emetic.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #863 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:18:34 am »
First ride of the summer! :thumbsup:

Sunshine, dry roads, lots of cyclists. 

Very fast (for me) - 23.3kph average, and 53 mins door to door.  I spent a lot of time riding faster than 30kph, which hasn't been happening for months.

I can still feel it in my legs nearly 50mins after I stopped.

Yes, there were complete imbeciles behind steering wheels as usual, but they're going to get themselves killed or maimed soon anyway.  I just don't want to be part of their 'accident'.
Getting there...

« Reply #864 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:31:40 am »
First ride of the summer! :thumbsup:

Sadly it's still winter for at least another 4.3 days.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #865 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:34:05 am »
Well, we can have summer rides whenever we like ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #866 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:34:42 am »
I had a lovely ride in until someone behind failed to register that I was stopping for a Zebra crossing in time to unclip and crashed into me, knocking me over. Ow :(. Still it was sunny, quite fast and there were LOTS of cyclists :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #867 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
>:(  You OK, flower?
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #868 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
Last night I had a run in with a bus

I was coming out of Nicholasheign on a rural road.  Narrow-ish.  I was in primary and about to turn left.  Then the number 20 bus barged past.  I had to brake and steer right in to the side and it went past with about a foot to spare.
The road was much wider 50 metres down the lane.
The bus was doing a classic "I'm bigger than you get the fuck out of the way" move

I don't normally get cross at badly behaved traffic but...

As I said I was about to turn left.  Onto a short cut.  So I raced up the stoney back lane.  I could see the bus on the parallel road ( it turned left further down )  The bus beat me to the next junction but I kept up a good speed and it wasn't gaining much of a lead.  Then the bus had to stop on a narrow sharp corner.  There were two cars coming the other way.  I got right up to the buses bumper. 
Then me and the bus went down the hill into Culmstock.  I knew there was a bus stop in Culmstock.  The bus got ahead and stopped for passengers.  I passed the bus on the right intending to have a word with the driver.  But before I could do that the bus started indicating out.  So I overtook.  In Culmstock me and the bus go different ways

In future I won't ride in primary when I see a bus on that road.  I will ride in the middle of the road so there is no chance of an attempted squeeze past.  Bus drivers cannot be trusted to DTRT

« Reply #869 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:16:43 am »
Oooh bummer Butterfly and vorsprung.

Vorsprung, I hope you got the reg and complained? 

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #870 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:45:40 am »
I haven’t had one for ages and ages, and then on the commute today: 
The most full on, perfect and spectacular clipless moment ever. 
Maximum embarrassment factors.  In two lanes of crawling traffic, over I go.
Lots of spectators? – Check
People actually getting out of cars to ask if I’m OK? – Check
Blood? – Check.

The only thing that stopped this one being a perfect ten was the absence of a bus stop full of jeering school kids.

Bugger.  :(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #871 on: 16 March, 2010, 11:53:07 am »
Oh eck, Basil. 

Is the bike OK? ;)
Getting there...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #872 on: 16 March, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »
Oh eck, Basil. 

Is the bike OK? ;)

Yeah, I broke its fall with knee skin.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #873 on: 16 March, 2010, 12:12:16 pm »
That's OK then. ;)

You've lost weight to the tune of a bit of skin, then?  Hope it heals quickly.  The embarrassment probably never will :[
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #874 on: 16 March, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »

It was a privated Patient Transport Service driver that hit me.  As a result of his behaviour, and a number of other complaints, the PTS provider lost its contract for that trust.

If it's a private PTS provider, complain to the contracting trust (should be written on the side of the vehicle).

If it's a proper ambulance, then complain to the the relevant Ambulance Service trust.  My experience is that they take complaints from vulnerable road users very seriously.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor