Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462552 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #975 on: 25 March, 2010, 07:35:46 am »
No, he was on a rather nice black Willier Mortirolo, first time I had seen a black one...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #976 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:54:09 am »
I had another fastish ride this morning, with the hordes of traffic lights being kind, as was the disposition of the traffic jams so I could sail happily past.  I kept leaving people behind as we pulled away from the junctions, and I had to look over my shoulder twice to confirm that the expected cyclist nearby had really dropped back.  Oh - and, for the first time this year, I saw a young woman riding in a dress.  Making good pace, too.  It was a glorious morning.

Of course, when I was making a cup of tea at work, I looked out of the window and saw a grey, wet morning with nothing to recommend it.  But being on a bike can transform that :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Fluffy

« Reply #977 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:55:17 am »
Yesterday the puncture fairies paid me a visit with 6 miles to go, luckily I had my spare tube and all my tools with me. Was a 15 minute job then I was on my way. Another cyclist stopped and asked if I had everything I needed, we had a brief chat then he carried on his way. Was nice of him to offer though. So mr Bury cyclist if you visit here, thanks for offering to help.

PS it was quite a violent puncture, went past a junction and bang... Next thing I saw was the green slime pissing out and the tyre was deflated in 10 seconds or so. It was a huge shard of glass that was hidden in the wet road. I need to invest in some kevlars I guess

« Reply #978 on: 25 March, 2010, 12:07:43 pm »
...It was a huge shard of glass that was hidden in the wet road. I need to invest in some kevlars I guess

If it was that big, I doubt anything would stop it.  Tyres with "puncture proof" layers only really stop the small bits, which would otherwise give me about a puncture a month in London (based on the older tyres that I used to use).  I killed a Marathon Supreme (£25-£35 each) after only 3000 miles a month or two back, when something put a 15mm slit in it.  I managed to get another 100 miles or so out of it with a boot, but after a second visit, I decided that it was a goner.

After a couple of days off to let a slightly twisted knee recover, I commuted in today, which was a pleasant enough and quiet ride.

Unusually at one junction I stopped to let an emergency vehicle go through, which was presumably an unmarked police car.  It had no blue lights whatsoever.  It did have a siren, and the headlights were doing the alternate flashing thing that most police vehicles do these days, but there were no hidden blue lights in the front or rear, and no temporary rooftop suction cup one.

I see a lot of unmarked police vehicles on blues and twos (and probably even more which aren't using their lights and sirens!), but that's the first time I've seen one with no blue lights.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Fluffy

« Reply #979 on: 25 March, 2010, 01:56:28 pm »
OK I admit I exaggerated about how big the glass was, but it was big enough for me to see it lodged in the tube when I pulled it out, maybe 5-7mm across

« Reply #980 on: 25 March, 2010, 02:06:31 pm »
First day riding the commute for a while today  :-[

Got passes by another fixie in Bagshot, normally I only see cyclists travelling in the oposite direction.

I blame the fact I had a pannier with the office laptop for the fact I couldn't stay with him and then the traffic lights for completely loosing his wheel.

tiermat

« Reply #981 on: 25 March, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »
The good part of the ride (cat and mouse) completely obliterated the bad 2 parts, until now.

1) a Menzies bus tried killing me on the Heathrow Perimeter road
2) a nutcase in a beaten up old nissan obviously thought the white lines on the road are advisory, as he failed to stop at the roundabout that I was currently circumnavigating....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #982 on: 25 March, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »
Had to brake to avoid a silver Mercedes (1D DT1) which cut across me on the way home.  Still, it meant I could tell the driver "You've misspelt 'Idiot' on the back of your car" as I passed him twenty yards up the road.

« Reply #983 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:06:27 pm »
Jeez that was hard coming home today.  The wind was horrific.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #984 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »
More WVM thuggery for me today.  Wanting to turn right I did the shoulder check and saw the lesser spotted WVM some distance back, so I stuck out my right arm, hoping he would ease off and let me move over to the right....Nah, instead he accelerated aggressively  and nearly ripped my arm off.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #985 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:36:55 pm »
More taxi fun. I shall edit this post later and add his details,but while his passenger was calling me a f...... w...... I took some pics.
"So what's that going to do, tosser?"
"Put your vehicle where it can be searched for on the internet....with a commentary on how you drive it for any potential buyers"
And your picture.
No, three inches is not plenty of room; I should not be "closer to the kerb"; the lane on your right is not a bus lane (that's the one to the left); the speed limit is 30, not 55, mph.
And no, you don't pay road tax.
EDIT: LJ08 FRX, Broxbourne taxi number 336. The happy passengers to the right of the picture,the weasely driver centre. Now, boys and girls,how many stereotypical items are there in this picture?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #986 on: 25 March, 2010, 09:56:32 pm »
Wind.  Rain.  Tough riding.  Fun.
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #987 on: 26 March, 2010, 07:27:33 am »
Wind.  Rain.  Tough riding.  Fun.

Last night's commute, ditto.  this morning I had to use the horseless carriage to get to work as I will be heading home today, only to notice I have a headlight out.  Not too big a problem you might think, but then if you think that you have never tried to change the nearside headlight lamp on a Renault Scenic....

« Reply #988 on: 26 March, 2010, 07:37:44 am »
A friend had a lot of "fun" changing a bulb on a Megane.

On the commute today there were a lot of worms on the road which needed avoiding.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #989 on: 26 March, 2010, 09:36:53 am »
Today, for various logistical reasons, I rode to work on Butterfly's Dahon.  Scared mesen witless, but I managed a 14.4mph average.  Might have been more if I'd not unshipped the chain first time I tried top gear, and didn't dare give it a go for another half an hour.

There was a tailwind, but my speed was not too shabby compared to my normal ride. 

My wrist has regained feeling now, but it was very buzzy when I got to work.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #990 on: 26 March, 2010, 09:46:32 am »
I must have been channelling Chris Hoy this morning when I overtook a scooter on the Embankment  :thumbsup:

« Reply #991 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »
I must have been channelling Chris Hoy this morning when I overtook a scooter on the Embankment  :thumbsup:
Woohoo! 8) :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #992 on: 26 March, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »
I must have been channelling Chris Hoy this morning when I overtook a scooter on the Embankment  :thumbsup:

What, one of these?  :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #993 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:08:39 pm »
As I've been feeling rubbish all week, I was considering DRIVING in this morning, but in the end I decided I'd be good and cycle instead. (Plus I didn't get up early enough and so would have sat in traffic for far too long.) What reward did I get for cycling to work? A stonkin' great big head wind. I'm not impressed.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #994 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:12:20 pm »
As I've been feeling rubbish all week, I was considering DRIVING in this morning, but in the end I decided I'd be good and cycle instead. What reward did I get for that? A stonkin' great big head wind. I'm not impressed.

You should be used to headwinds after last Saturday!

I've got one to deal with tonight on the FNRttC, and I didn't enjoy the benefits of it into work this morning, since I had to abandon the bike at work last night with an exploded rim (for which I brought a replacement in with me on the Tube/Tram this morning).

On the plus side, I guess the speed of the FNRttC this evening will be fairly moderate (with 110 odd riders), so the headwind will probably have minimal effect.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #995 on: 26 March, 2010, 02:16:36 pm »
I must have been channelling Chris Hoy this morning when I overtook a scooter on the Embankment  :thumbsup:

What, one of these?  :)

Yes, I think the owner was six.  I had to push him off in order to stay ahead.

« Reply #996 on: 26 March, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »

No usual going through the ford today. A bit on the spate side.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #997 on: 26 March, 2010, 05:03:43 pm »
Ya big jessie! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #998 on: 26 March, 2010, 05:05:13 pm »
Squelch - squelch - squelch.    :hand:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #999 on: 26 March, 2010, 06:37:00 pm »
The wind was mental today, though oddly exhilirating.  I was late for a dentist's appointment on the way  home so despite the 'Friday legs' managed a PB.