Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462840 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1250 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:34:20 pm »
I got a complement!

A young roadie on a nice CF bike pulled alongside me "You ride to York" I'm a bit taken aback "How do you know that?"
"I normally drive, I've seen you on the dual carriageway. You've got really good style."

Wow, I didn't know what to say. So I just said it was a product of being slow, so I'd learned to be efficient. He then told me I didn't look slow, he was heading back via the country roads and pulled away like I was standing still.

That's probably the first time someone has complemented me on my riding  :)

I was very inspired by that, and I won't be on my bike for 6 days (donating blood tomorrow, then it's the bank holiday). So I trundled along at a good pace, 3 miles from home realised that if I kept up 20mph it would be a record run. Made it, 1hr 16min for 24.5miles.  That's really scorching for me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1251 on: 27 April, 2010, 08:59:45 pm »
Found my path blocked by a bunch of geocachers on a bridge (I have the same cache stored as a poi on my phone), but despite this, averaged 17.3 over 17.64 miles. Didn't feel fast, and I wasn't focussed this morning (just had to look on the phone to check which way I went - was on autopilot this morning), so it must have been wind assisted. I suspect I will pay on the way home.

Ooh!  Which cache?

It looked like a bunch of students and some teachers, so my guess is that they were going for this one

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2ad021d3-b3d6-4f74-9af5-0b8c83715244

Or it could havfase been the Nine Wells one.

Seems like I am having a good day. Averaged 18.2mph over 15 miles on the way home. It's making me want a fast bike, or even a 'bent. Found myself going through the options on an ICE B1.

« Reply #1252 on: 28 April, 2010, 05:49:31 am »
Yesterday was the first time this year that I noticed significant bug activity.  After a bee tried to fly into my mouth I decided it was now time to stop riding whilst agape.  Well for a few months anyway.

This nice weather is bringing out more riders on my commute too however all but one have been in the opposite direction.

The cows are also out of the winter shed storage and back into the fields so I have a muck run to traverse too.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1253 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:49:29 am »
Yesterday was the first time this year that I noticed significant bug activity.  After a bee tried to fly into my mouth I decided it was now time to stop riding whilst agape.  Well for a few months anyway.
I've had to stop singing.  :'( I suspect everyone I pass is now  :D .
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1254 on: 28 April, 2010, 09:11:58 am »
It felt a bit like the Freewheel (or Skyride or whatever) at points today. Which, as those who've done the Freewheel will know, is mostly a Good Thing.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1255 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:15:54 pm »
Got to work and found that I'd neglected to fasten either strap on the barley's flap.
Those of you that know the angle an unsupported barley hangs at will be as amazed as I was that both the plastic carrier bag containing shirt, tie and socks and the box containing my lunch were still in there.  :)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1256 on: 28 April, 2010, 06:20:18 pm »
This nice weather is bringing out more riders on my commute too however all but one have been in the opposite direction.

You're going the same speed as everyone else going in your direction. Either slow down and let them catch you or get a move on and catch them. ;D

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1257 on: 28 April, 2010, 07:31:03 pm »
I did 25 miles today which included commute and visits to two hospitals (work purposes) and one client and every single mile of it was into a headwind. Even though I travelled in several different directions over the course of the day. Clearly the weather gnomes are envious of my new bike.

In other news, Edinburgh drivers' reenactment of Wacky Races yesterday has continued today as well.  ::-)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1258 on: 29 April, 2010, 07:59:34 am »
A very short conversation yesterday evening on ascending Netherton hill1...

TheLurker  (drawing level with TheOtherCyclist)     
   - Aye, aye. Don't you just loathe hills?

TheOtherCyclist (who is struggling up the hill
  - Yeah, but I'm not wearing lycra shorts.

Made me laugh out loud. It has to be one of the best cycling put downs/come backs/non sequiturs2 I've heard for quite a while.

1Which is not an especially nasty hill.
2Classify according to your own rules.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #1259 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:14:03 am »
I followed a Bendy Bus along the A23 between Thornton Heath Pond and Norbury, which shouldn't be notable, except I've never seen one in that part of London before.

He didn't appear to have any passengers or route number displayed, so I hope he was just transporting it somewhere, and not testing out its suitability for the route. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1260 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »
Rain. tonight.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1261 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:56:33 pm »
Rain. tonight.

Sweet, wasn't it?  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1262 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:22:10 pm »
Coming home tonight, I watched with bated breath as the motorcyclist who'd just overtaken me was nearly wiped out - the car which overtook him whilst he was passing me swung back in to turn left at the next junction before being clear of the motorcyclist.  The biker was edged sideways by the car (not sure if there was contact) and had to use his horn to warn the driver that he was there.

Unfortunately, the car was a white Vauxhall covered in stripes, as it was a marked patrol car, driven by one of GMP's finest.  I got the registration number, but couldn't catch the motorcyclist to tell him, so now I'm wondering whether to send a stiff email to GMP's driving standards department myself, or just post a note on MotorCycle News' forum.  >:(
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1263 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:31:41 pm »
Coming home tonight, I watched with bated breath as the motorcyclist who'd just overtaken me was nearly wiped out - the car which overtook him whilst he was passing me swung back in to turn left at the next junction before being clear of the motorcyclist.  The biker was edged sideways by the car (not sure if there was contact) and had to use his horn to warn the driver that he was there.

Unfortunately, the car was a white Vauxhall covered in stripes, as it was a marked patrol car, driven by one of GMP's finest.  I got the registration number, but couldn't catch the motorcyclist to tell him, so now I'm wondering whether to send a stiff email to GMP's driving standards department myself, or just post a note on MotorCycle News' forum.  >:(

Once upon a time a police officer was required to have completed the advance driving course before being let loose in a patrol vehicle of ANY description.

I believe the regulations changed which allowed officers to drive patrol vehicles without having completed the course.

I didn't realise they'd changed again to allow anyone with a licence out of a lucky bag!

Name and shame, I say! Post it on here. Send it to GMP. Give it to MCN.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1264 on: 29 April, 2010, 11:36:39 pm »

Name and shame, I say! Post it on here. Send it to GMP. Give it to MCN.

That ^
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #1265 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:58:31 am »
I have filled in the complaint form on GMP's website, with details of incident/time/location/registration plate number.  I have no idea whether the motorcyclist might complain, but I may put some info on MCN's forum, just in case.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #1266 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:07:44 am »
Rain. tonight.

Sweet, wasn't it?  :thumbsup:

Really?!  :-\  Not on my commute I'm afraid. I got rather wet!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1267 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:17:08 am »
Coming home tonight, I watched with bated breath as the motorcyclist who'd just overtaken me was nearly wiped out -

Unfortunately, the car was a white Vauxhall covered in stripes, as it was a marked patrol car, driven by one of GMP's finest. 

falling standards everywhere?

Re: The bad news thread
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2010, 03:01:10 PM » Reply with quote | Modify message | Remove message 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been out for a quickie...typically for today I "enjoyed " a SMIDSY with a police car
No harm done apart from PC's ego

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be carefull out there people

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1268 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:21:12 am »
How apposite. This is what I saw on my commute today..

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1269 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:19:48 am »
At least I got a commute today! :thumbsup:

Four days off the bike and feeling terrible.  But this morning, I got the train with a 'hon.  Felt good riding up to the station, and pootling through from LB to work.  Sad that the computer tried to escape from the forks into the spokes.

But I've been really fed up wheezing at home, and last night I took Superstoker to his club night, and sighed heavily as they all set off without me.  I was really jealous.

So not a long ride, but a special one.
Getting there...

« Reply #1270 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:35:36 am »
This morning I was so distracted by the fact that the guy who serviced my bike last week had moved the rear light up the seatpost so I couldn't adjust my saddle mid-ride when it slipped (as I don't normally carry the philips screwdriver required to move the light clamp back down again) and the clamp was catching my new tights, and the seat was uncomfortable, that I rode into the kerb and almost fell off.

Happily, no other cyclists around to laugh at me, and it happened in a nice, wide, empty bus lane.  :-[ ::-)

« Reply #1271 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:36:35 pm »
What I should have said: "You don't know the rules of the road, everything you've said is wrong, and compounding your mistake by trying to force me onto the pavement crossed the line from stupidity to criminality".

What I did say: "Try reading the Highway Code and not the effing Ladybird version, you stupid ****."

>:(

Still, one ranty nutter every month or two isn't too bad.  And I gave him a big thumbs up as I overtook him again in the massive queue of traffic ;D :thumbsup:

(Edited to remove sweariness: probably more appropriate to the RANT thread...)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1272 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:07:18 pm »
Saw a new twunt stunt today.

Pavement cyclist, bombing along, decides to rejoin the carriageway.  Flew off the footway and dumped himself off the kerb.....just inside a car indicating to turn left.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1273 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:27:21 pm »
How apposite. This is what I saw on my commute today..

Apparently one of the police had a cut head. The pic online was taken well after they had got mine by email..
Evening Telegraph: News
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1274 on: 03 May, 2010, 10:13:30 am »
I am posting here merely because I can, being in the office on a bank holiday.

That said, it was almost a zero-traffic commute in central London - pretty rare. And every other person on a bike looked like they were on their way to FUN rather than the office.

I need to throw a few of these around:  >:( >:( >:(