Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462099 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1400 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:34:12 am »
Glad to hear it, darkpoint.  Actually, there were an awful lot of people complying with red lights, if I'm to be fair.  Just so many bikes on the road that there were a couple going through or round the pavement at almost every stop. >:(

The other weird behaviour was apparent when I passed a wobbly hybrid rider on Balham Hill.  Seeing she was a bit unsteady, I thought I'd give her a bit more space.  Then an idiot on a Marin zipped in between us on my left (there was still plenty of room to overtake me properly within the bus lane), causing a big wobble from the woman.  Idiot. :(  And it happened again as a bunch of us were setting off from a traffic light, and a prat on a yellow Saracen came charging through where there weren't really any gaps.  We all passed him in seconds, though.

It's not hard to share the roads.
Getting there...

« Reply #1401 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
The first 12 miles were uneventful.
I then had a clipless moment and fell off after hitting the car in front of me at very slow speed / minimal impact.  So much so they had no idea and drove off.
There was a car in front of them turning into the entrance to the car park for Caen Hill locks.  I stopped fine when the car behind the one turning did.  As the turning car moved off so did the one in front of me so I did too.  Then they braked hard and I was still concentrating on clipping in and moving forward so was unprepared for the sudden stop and as I'd only just clipped in and was starting to power on and had to brake hard I then lost balance as I did so and fell off onto the nearside kerb.
Cue slight scratch damage to rear stay of carbon TCR  :-[
Said 'Oh bollocks' then got back up and on and rode on. 
I went no more than 100 metres when I hit the mother of all pot holes.
It jarred me completely and my bars even dropped in the stem !!
I stopped then as I wanted to inspect my bike.  I adjusted the bars and then continued on.
Cue only about one mile and a spoke in my rear wheel went.  Bloody marvellous.
I then had to arrange recovery via an annoyed Mrs G and took a day off work.  I missed the bus back to Devizes by 6 minutes too !! 
Not my day today.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1402 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:48:14 am »
That sounds like a rapid succession of unfortunate events.  You got some bad karma cleaned out now? ;D
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1403 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:58:26 am »
More police out around Westminster for Brenda's speech today than I have ever seen before. Literally one every few yards, and lots of motorbike police hanging around in sexy leathers waiting (presumably) to stop traffic for the important people to get through.

There is something about policemen in motorcycle leathers...  :P

And I must say that our very own Nutty is hawt when he's in his gear.  :-*
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1404 on: 25 May, 2010, 11:58:37 am »
First 5km was spent chasing down a xc mtber. I hit 44kph downhill trying to break away, but couldn't shake him. I then bimbled along for 10km at about 25kph, only to hear the telltale noise of a clicky freewheel. There was roadie in Cambridge Cycling Club kit on my back wheel. At a junction, I made the pretence of reaching for something, and he attempted a breakaway - full on stading up and honking - not today; we ripped along at 35kph on the flat for a bit until he blew up. I managed to keep up 32kph long enough to lose him. I felt like a hero, albeit I am sure his version of the story would be completely different. Averaged 28.1 over the 28.7km route. For a reasonably headwindy day, a decent time.

The day I crack the 1hr (1.00.15 is my PB), I am treating the office to cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1405 on: 25 May, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »
More police out around Westminster for Brenda's speech today than I have ever seen before. Literally one every few yards, and lots of motorbike police hanging around in sexy leathers waiting (presumably) to stop traffic for the important people to get through.

There is something about policemen in motorcycle leathers...  :P

And I must say that our very own Nutty is hawt when he's in his gear.  :-*

Butterfly holds the opinion that the French motorbike cops in their jodhpurs are preferable.  She studied the matter rather closely at the TdF Prologue in London...
Getting there...

« Reply #1406 on: 25 May, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »
Set a PB on the ride in yesterday, 28:44 for the 14km. Then with the Air Con at the office being bust I left at 5pm and extended the ride home to 40km.

This morning the ride in was ~29:30. I used to think that 35 minutes was good for the commute in.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1407 on: 25 May, 2010, 01:35:37 pm »
Slight almost sunburn redness on the tops of my legs coming home last night

It's a little cooler today

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1408 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:22:23 pm »
I saw an enormous chap heaving his racing bike onto the road as I went past

I said hi but didn't really expect to see him again, even though I wasn't going at full speed and I was on the winter bike with the heavy tyres.

He caught me up at the top of the hill and said it was due to fresh legs.  Apparently the chap ( name Tony ) was doing road bike training for down hill MTB races.  He was carrying extra weight in a backpack.  He'd not ridden a road bike before.  "It goes really fast" he commented

Hmmmmm.
Nope, not me.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1409 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:23:53 pm »
Two incidents within a quarter of a mile today.  First one was a boy racer in his Astra, fag papering me me at 40-50 mph in a 30 zone.  

Second one was rather more imaginative. There is a little bit of a descent on my way in and I invariably trigger the LED 30 MPH thingy.  As the descent flattens out I then have to turn right.  So I've looked over my shoulder stuck my right arm out  in good time prior to turning right.... guess what lard mountain in his BMW coming up behind me does.  Yep you've guessed right, he roars past almost ripping off my right arm.

I do hope I got some footage.

« Reply #1410 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:27:10 pm »

Ooh, so do I. A nice clear reg plate would be nice too.  :-)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #1411 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:56:46 pm »

I'm glad I didn't have my camera on my bars this morning or all I would have got was crash, bang, wollop - all my mistakes  ;D

« Reply #1412 on: 25 May, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »
Averaged 30kph on the way home, which meant my PB has gone from1.00.15 to 57.20. Gonna get some cakes in tomorrow.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1413 on: 25 May, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »
Impressive, Dr M.

My average was barely above 20kmh today. It's usually closer to 24. I blame the blustery headwind. And general sluggishness. :(

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1414 on: 26 May, 2010, 10:05:00 am »
Another lovely ride.  Felt like a stiff headwind, but I still made good time, and came close to winning my stage of the Tour de Commute ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1415 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:42:29 pm »
I had my photo taken!  Clapham Common South Side, just before Clapham Common station at about 8.20.  Man and woman by the roadside with bikes against railings.  Man takes exciting speedy sweep with his camera aiming roughly at my feet.

Anyone else?  Anyone like to own up as Voyeur Camera Man?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1416 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:47:08 pm »
I was snapped too, from a low angle.  I'd forgotten about it till you reminded me.  I was wearing my red forum jersey, so if it comes out anywhere, it'll be good publicity.

Didn't look like a professional, though.
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #1417 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:51:11 pm »
if it comes out anywhere, it'll be good publicity.

As long as you weren't jumping a red light at the time. ;)

d.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1418 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »
Me?  Jump a red light?! :o
Getting there...

citoyen

« Reply #1419 on: 26 May, 2010, 01:58:49 pm »
Thought that might get a reaction! ;D

« Reply #1420 on: 26 May, 2010, 03:54:32 pm »
On the way in my USE seat post went skywards.  Hopeless.  I have bastardised a police bike and taken the seat post to get me home.
I shall be installing the Specialized carbon post tonight and sending this USE one back to either Chainreactions or USE for a refund.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #1421 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:49:05 pm »
On the way in my USE seat post went skywards.  Hopeless.  I have bastardised a police bike and taken the seat post to get me home.
I shall be installing the Specialized carbon post tonight and sending this USE one back to either Chainreactions or USE for a refund.

So it was pretty useless as a seat post then?

IGMC
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1422 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

Ooh, so do I. A nice clear reg plate would be nice too.  :-)

Here we go <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ndcWyhZDK2A&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ndcWyhZDK2A&rel=1</a>

LindaG

« Reply #1423 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:32:51 pm »
I can only get it to play up to 0.27

« Reply #1424 on: 26 May, 2010, 09:11:17 pm »
I can only get it to play up to 0.27

I got it to play up to 0:28. Not a lot happens between 0:27 and 0:28 so you haven't missed much.   :)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark