Author Topic: SPD pedals with reflectors...  (Read 6650 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: SPD pedals with reflectors...
« Reply #25 on: 01 November, 2018, 06:07:12 pm »
for want of a nail, the kingdom was lost....

for want of a dust seal and some grease, the pedals were lost.....

<snip>
I totally applaud your approach.  :thumbsup:

If I paid £50 (or more) for pedals I would certainly try to look after them. At the price of M520s, and the very small replacement effort (compared to BBs, freehubs etc), I can't be arsed to look after them. I'd rather spend the time on other stuff (including hubs!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #26 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:41:42 pm »
it takes about the same time to relube and adjust PD-M520 as it does to replace them with new; they are really easy to work on (far easier than PD-M324 etc).  In a way the pedals that you have serviced (even once) are arguably  better (i.e. smoother running and more reliable) than new ones because

- you know they are adjusted correctly
-  you know they have good grease (better than the stuff shimano use) inside them
- you know the locknuts are tight ( some new PD-M520 go out of adjustment quickly because the locknuts are not tight)
- you know the binding tension is set correctly in a way that suits you.

On the flip side you get new cleats with new pedals and you will almost certainly need new cleats sooner than you need new pedals. Buying new pedals with cleats is pretty good value vs buying cleats by themselves....

I've bought PD-M520 when they have been cheap and they really are stonking value. But in this looming post-Brexit world, I wonder if they will remain such good value in the future?

cheers

« Reply #27 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:53:08 pm »
On  the pedal tool front, I bought a Shimano TL-PD40 Axle Removal Tool a while back, but not used it yet...

Click'R have a low release tension

I've never had my Click'R unclip when I didn't want to, this is based on hundreds of commutes, a couple of fixed Audaxes and even the Mersey Roads 24h TT (on fixed too and it did involve a few climbs).

OOI did you use these with 51 single release or 56 multi release cleats? 

Single release. They're the same ones I've used on my M520 and M540 pedals as they're the same shoes.

I've a special place for any 56 multi release cleats I get; the bin (or the metal recycling skip at the local tip).

Fairynuff.   :)

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #28 on: 04 November, 2018, 02:12:34 pm »
Opted for the Click'R pedals (£23) and tested them on the Upper Thames 200 yesterday.  Set them to near max tension, given this approximates to the low end (which I use) of m520s; using 51 single release cleats.  No problems at all, and found them even easier to clip into - probably because the binding is 'popped up' at an angle relative to the reflector platform.  They are a tad heavier than the m520s but not an issue for me... 

« Reply #29 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:07:23 pm »
which model?

PD-T400

PD-T420

PD-T421

cheers

« Reply #30 on: 04 November, 2018, 03:41:55 pm »
Double sided PD-T400   :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #31 on: 26 April, 2021, 03:35:35 pm »
Having finally got a decent pair of M323 pedals to play with, I can confirm that TL-PD33 is useless on them.  So if you have M323 and M324 pedals, you need two of the robdog tools!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.