Author Topic: Bob Jackson to close  (Read 8153 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Bob Jackson to close
« Reply #25 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:09:55 pm »
Oh no they're not;

Bob Jackson Cycles have the great pleasure to announce that they will no longer be closing as planned on the 18th December.
http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #26 on: 26 November, 2020, 09:11:10 pm »
Bob Jackson's are NOT closing, according to their website.
Bob Jackson Cycles have the great pleasure to announce that they will no longer be closing as planned on the 18th December.
Additional investment and support has been secured to ensure the iconic brand of Bob Jackson Cycles will be continuing well into the future whilst thankfully remaining at our historic Leeds factory. We will continue to build and restore frames to our exceptionally high standards and the current skilled team will be retained and expanded to allow us to take on additional work, whilst investing heavily and improving our processes and facilities to align with expected future demand.
With immediate effect – We are now open to all retail and trade orders and will be communicating some exciting news over the next few months as we realign the business towards future sustainability whilst protecting and building upon our amazing heritage.
We apologise and regret any confusion or distress our decision may have caused over the preceding few months – but we fully intend to be around for at least another 85 years – doing what we do best.
We look forward to welcoming both old and new customers to Bob Jackson Cycles as we begin a new chapter in the long story of this incredible company.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2020, 10:22:19 pm »
Remarkable. And good.

« Reply #28 on: 27 November, 2020, 12:13:46 am »
Great !!  :thumbsup:

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #29 on: 27 November, 2020, 12:16:31 am »
Excellent!  Does anyone want to give me a BJ for Christmas?

« Reply #30 on: 27 November, 2020, 03:55:05 am »
That is properly uplifting news at a time when good news is in short supply  :thumbsup:

A

« Reply #31 on: 27 November, 2020, 11:22:38 am »
Hurrah! That is great news.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #32 on: 27 November, 2020, 02:47:42 pm »
Brilliant.  Good to open up the laptop and find some good news for a change.

« Reply #33 on: 27 November, 2020, 05:29:13 pm »
Sounds interesting. Investment, updating and expanding - would be great if they can align themselves with some of the new stuff that’s going on. There a quite a lot of interesting builders out there and a few low volume brands that an updated Bob J could supply. Northern Italy or Northern England as a frame manufacturing base.

« Reply #34 on: 27 November, 2020, 05:48:17 pm »
That is a bright spot on a windswept horizon.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: 27 November, 2020, 10:21:50 pm »
That's great news! JD Tandems have started listing them again.
We are delighted with our BJ tandem (new Oct 20), and very pleased to be able to buy a British made coupled tandem.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #36 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:35:57 am »
What about all that baloney about the workforce wanting to retire to have some time to themselves.?  Is Donald still there i wonder, or has he gone/going.?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:47:11 am »
Topics merged (was originally in Tandems, but that's a bit niche).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #38 on: 28 November, 2020, 10:54:35 am »
What about all that baloney about the workforce wanting to retire to have some time to themselves.?  Is Donald still there i wonder, or has he gone/going.?

I guess that this was then a topic in the negotiations, a pension for the staff retiring within a few years. As I remember from the original news, the planned retirement was rescheduled since there was an interested buyer for the building (I guess that the sale profits would have taken care of the pensions).
A new owner, the old staff training youngsters and retiring with a safe pension scheme provided by the new owner once the youngsters are trained would be a logical option for the old staff.

« Reply #39 on: 28 November, 2020, 11:12:24 am »
I would be delighted to learn that a safe pension scheme had been provided, but suspect that is unlikely to be amongst the benefits.

I’m delighted the business will continue. Sue’s bike is lovely and Donald was great at tweaking the core frame to make it work for her.

I think there is some work to be done in terms of brand, but some very positive opportunity. Whilst it depends on lots of factors, there is an interest in low volume local contract manufacturing for bike frames - look at Fairlight and Mason - plus plenty of high end stuff out there as well. That market isn’t for lugged bikes though, but modern tube sets and TIG welding or fillet brazing with complete attention to quality and detail. Maybe a bit of a move away from their current position. It’s all good though.

« Reply #40 on: 28 November, 2020, 12:53:17 pm »
I personally consider this even highly likely. A smart investor will check which arguments he can use to convince the current owners. If the current owners are approaching pension age, then this topic will certainly interest them and a good deal in this regard can certainly convince them.
However, I wasn't present there and I have no inside info so it's guesswork ;).

« Reply #41 on: 28 November, 2020, 06:54:42 pm »
I must say, I’d love one of their Vulcan frames with fancy lugs and fancy paint job but it won’t ride any better than my steel TIG welded Shand frame. But it will look better, so perhaps I’ll hang it on the wall instead.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #42 on: 30 November, 2020, 07:08:19 pm »
Bob Jackson Cycles are saved!

https://road.cc/content/news/bob-jackson-cycles-wont-be-closing-good-after-all-279117

And reading into it that which may not be there, JD are have the Summit range back on the website.

« Reply #43 on: 08 January, 2021, 08:56:16 am »
Oh no they're not;

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/
Looks like are there closing after all, sad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #44 on: 08 January, 2021, 01:49:12 pm »
Oh no they're not;

It's panto season - oh yes they are ;)

« Reply #45 on: 08 January, 2021, 02:52:56 pm »
According to information elsewhere in the ether from someone who had spoken to Dougal? - the prospective purchaser just pulled the plug at the last moment, with no particular explanation.

« Reply #46 on: 27 January, 2021, 10:18:17 am »
Are they risen from the dead?

Bob Jackson to continue making steel frames in Leeds after Woodrup rescue

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/bob-jackson-to-continue-making-steel-frames-in-leeds-488920

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #47 on: 29 January, 2021, 10:08:52 am »
Oh no they're not;

It's panto season - oh yes they are ;)

Appears to be good news.

Panto season's coming to an end. :)

« Reply #48 on: 29 January, 2021, 01:17:11 pm »
Woodrup build very good frames ( and have built re-badged pro team frames in the past).
It will be interesting to see if they build Woodrups badged Bob Jackson or vice versa.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #49 on: 29 January, 2021, 01:40:51 pm »
They want to run both marques fairly separately.