Author Topic: Which tyres for a brompton Marathon or marathon racer?  (Read 3135 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Which tyres for a brompton Marathon or marathon racer?
« on: 29 January, 2021, 07:45:03 pm »
Have two sets and wondering which is better, or what are the pros and cons.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Which tyres for a brompton Marathon or marathon racer?
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2021, 07:48:32 pm »
The Marathon Racer is a misnomer. They aren’t quick.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2021, 11:00:06 pm »
Compared to the marathon ;)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2021, 01:20:14 am »
I don't know anybody who has properly compared those tyres in Brompton size but somebody has done so in 700C.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compare/schwalbe-marathon-2015-vs-schwalbe-marathon-racer-2015
The Greenguard Marathon is faster.

There is no guarantee that the smaller sizes are the same construction as the larger. In addition, there has been a multitude of Marathons, all with slightly different characteristics.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2021, 12:46:24 pm »
I've not used the Marathon Racers in a 16" flavour, but my experience of them at 20" is a resounding 'meh'.  AIUI their claim to raciness is that they're lighter weight, not any improvement in rolling resistance, and I'd expect that benefit to become less significant at smaller wheel sizes.

It would appear that they're sacrificing valuable puncture resistance for little benefit.

Happy with Marathon Greenguards on my Brompton.  They seem a little faster rolling than the Brompton 'Green', which I didn't expect, and slightly better grip on mud, which I did.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2021, 03:49:34 pm »
I think the Marathon Racer changed substantially a few years ago.  I get on well with the older 700c ines.  Virtually no visitations and they roll ok.  They are light, being folders.  The reflective sidewall strips (pointless as they are always covered in mud or brake sludge) can peel off.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #6 on: 16 February, 2021, 08:08:33 pm »
I have Marathons or maybe they're Marathon plus (blue bits inside), as I hate fixing punctures on a Brompton.

It came fitted with marathon racers, but I ditched them after the fifth puncture in a couple of weeks. It did my head in.