Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2930368 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23025 on: 16 May, 2021, 06:47:05 pm »
Jeebuz I am dumb.
So fucking dumb.

In 2018 I bought and Elite Direto thinking it would allow me to train on a bike at home.  After 3 years of trying to get the fsk#ing apps to a) install, ii) run, 3) not crash and Δ) to talk to the bloody paperweight I've finally realised my basic assumptions about a cycle trainer are where I've gone wrong.

The exercise in this fucking hunk of junk comes from days spent running up 'n down stairs between the office (where the internets workz) & garage (where it dizne).  There's a bit of exercise in pedalling the pile 'o shite on it's default setting while watching the 'connecting' whirly wheel of hope.  There's a wee bit more from screaming 'Connect you motherfucker!' and 'Stop blinking your shitting blue light at me and just fucking WORK'.  My heart rate has risen several times today and each of the numerous days previously I've fought this thing (and lost).  I guess that's almost the point isn't it?
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #23026 on: 16 May, 2021, 07:03:34 pm »
Jeebuz I am dumb.
So fucking dumb.

In 2018 I bought and Elite Direto thinking it would allow me to train on a bike at home.  After 3 years of trying to get the fsk#ing apps to a) install, ii) run, 3) not crash and Δ) to talk to the bloody paperweight I've finally realised my basic assumptions about a cycle trainer are where I've gone wrong.

The exercise in this fucking hunk of junk comes from days spent running up 'n down stairs between the office (where the internets workz) & garage (where it dizne).  There's a bit of exercise in pedalling the pile 'o shite on it's default setting while watching the 'connecting' whirly wheel of hope.  There's a wee bit more from screaming 'Connect you motherfucker!' and 'Stop blinking your shitting blue light at me and just fucking WORK'.  My heart rate has risen several times today and each of the numerous days previously I've fought this thing (and lost).  I guess that's almost the point isn't it?

I’ve not tried the Elite apps, always seemed too flaky. But my 2018 vintage Direto works fine with Zwift, and BigRingVR. I’ve also used it with Rouvy and FulGaz, so don’t give up on it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #23027 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:21:14 am »
I have had Tacx for a number of years and initially liked the idea of their own software until I found it too flaky and looked elsewhere. Trainerroad followed by sufferfest (with BigRingVR) followed by Zwift.  All of these will work with a dirt.  If they are not doing then the trainer is faulty.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23028 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:24:14 pm »
Install My e-Trainer on 2nd device (this one not big river co) - nuffink
Install Upgrader app on this device - signs of life!  The Direto is detected, no firmware update needed.  Still doesn't work with My e-Trainer on either device.
Suspecting that Upgrader may be too dumb to cache firmware bring Direto indoors to where the wifi lives - No apparent difference, no firmware update needed.
But lo, what's this?  My e-Trainer now detects the serial number.
Lug the Direto back to the garage & attach inappropriate bike - Remarkable!  I can calibrate it (spot on already)
Check with big river co slab - this now works - yay.

[apologies for the low rant quotient in this post]
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #23029 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:45:43 pm »
Oi, Nationwide Credit Card services! Why can't you be like other people's credit card providers and phone/otherwise contact me to let me know you think there's something up with my account, rather than just stopping the damn thing and letting stuff get denied?

Oh look, that's another Kindle purchase declined again. WTF are you up to?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23030 on: 18 May, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »
Seen on a website today:

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!

A Kudo. FFS.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #23031 on: 18 May, 2021, 03:32:34 pm »
They can FRO.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23032 on: 18 May, 2021, 04:27:29 pm »
Seen on a website today:

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!

A Kudo. FFS.

I blame Strava. I'm sure they are responsible for starting this - perhaps not deliberately, but by exposing people to the word who had never seen it before and assumed it was a plural.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23033 on: 18 May, 2021, 04:41:55 pm »
Cant be plural hasnt go an apostrohpee
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #23034 on: 18 May, 2021, 04:42:13 pm »
I like it, I want multiple kudo's.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23035 on: 18 May, 2021, 06:22:46 pm »
Start your collection:

[“That's a kudu!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #23036 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:01:21 pm »
I now want to set up a rival to Strava where you show your appreciation of others' rides by giving them an impala.

ian

« Reply #23037 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:39:34 pm »
I do vaguely remember a dinner one where we debated at length the pronunciation of kudos. There were drinks involved. And the bar staff. Passersby. Really anyone in the vicinity. Which didn't help as we were in Madrid.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23038 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:55:31 pm »
I now want to set up a rival to Strava where you show your appreciation of others' rides by giving them an impala.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23039 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:20:27 am »
Seen on a website today:

A Kudo. FFS.

I blame Strava. I'm sure they are responsible for starting this - perhaps not deliberately, but by exposing people to the word who had never seen it before and assumed it was a plural.

I'd encountered the 'kudo'-as-singular phenomenon before Strava, but it's certainly exacerbated the issue.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23040 on: 19 May, 2021, 11:23:39 am »
It has been around for a while. Apparently both cherry and pea were formed through a similar process and it's now happening to pilates, which was originally a surname.
Kudo is not alone in this strange development. Two very common words in our language came about because their original forms were wrongly interpreted as plural. Cherry was formed from the Old North French noun cherise, which was misconstrued as a plural; and pea was formed from the Middle English plural noun pease.

The pattern can be seen even in more modern words. The noun Pilates, referring to the exercise regimen, is named for its German-born creator, Joseph Pilates. But in the vein of similar nouns referring to exercise, such as aerobics and calisthenics, Pilates encourages a plural reading, and consequently a desire to make it singular:

The German startup created a VR exercise system for gyms and home use in 2015. The fitness system lets users workout in a pilate-like position through a reality that makes them feel like they are flying or deep-ocean diving.
— Jennifer Kite-Powell, Forbes.com, 24 Jan. 2018
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/kudo-singular-back-formation-kudos-plural

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23041 on: 19 May, 2021, 11:35:56 am »
It has been around for a while. Apparently both cherry and pea were formed through a similar process and it's now happening to pilates, which was originally a surname.
Kudo is not alone in this strange development. Two very common words in our language came about because their original forms were wrongly interpreted as plural. Cherry was formed from the Old North French noun cherise, which was misconstrued as a plural; and pea was formed from the Middle English plural noun pease.

The pattern can be seen even in more modern words. The noun Pilates, referring to the exercise regimen, is named for its German-born creator, Joseph Pilates. But in the vein of similar nouns referring to exercise, such as aerobics and calisthenics, Pilates encourages a plural reading, and consequently a desire to make it singular:

The German startup created a VR exercise system for gyms and home use in 2015. The fitness system lets users workout in a pilate-like position through a reality that makes them feel like they are flying or deep-ocean diving.
— Jennifer Kite-Powell, Forbes.com, 24 Jan. 2018
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/kudo-singular-back-formation-kudos-plural

I heard "premise" as in "no longer on the premise" meaning "having left the building" the other day.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

citoyen

« Reply #23042 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:15:37 pm »
Apparently both cherry and pea were formed through a similar process and it's now happening to pilates

Interesting. I knew about cherry but not peas. And singular pilate is an abomination that needs to be brutally murdered at birth.

See also: bicep, tricep

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23043 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:17:10 pm »
I heard "premise" as in "no longer on the premise" meaning "having left the building" the other day.

On the premise that they're here...

citoyen

« Reply #23044 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:37:13 pm »
Anyway, back to the ranting... my neighbours appear to be commencing major construction work, for which they have no planning permission (as far as I can tell from the council website). I have a horrible feeling they're building a whole new house on their land, which would overlook us. This needs to be nipped in the bud, but alas I know from prior experience that the council are utterly useless about this kind of thing so I'm dreading it... ugh!

I don't even know that I'd mind a new house there, tbh, but it irks me that whatever it is they're doing, they're doing it without planning permission.

ian

« Reply #23045 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:40:15 pm »
Sadly it's common. We wandered to a former pub the other weekend. Former because it's not a pub, it's now a recently renovated residential dwelling, that's clearly being lived in as such. There was a notice outside from the council regarding the proposed change of use and planning permission. Get your comments in by the end of May 2021...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23046 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:53:23 pm »

On the premise that they're here...
STOP!  :hand:

You're encouraging them.

citoyen

« Reply #23047 on: 19 May, 2021, 12:59:35 pm »
I've checked the list of planning applications on the council website and there's nothing relating to the property in the past year. So far, they have built a new entrance onto their land from the main road, which definitely needs planning permission, so I've reported them for that. Another property further down the road had a planning application for similar work rejected recently. This new driveway is well away from the main house, which is why I suspect its ultimate purpose will be to serve a new house.

Our road is, unfortunately, a bit of an accident blackspot, which is why the council don't want people building new driveways willy-nilly. Only a few days ago we had yet another idiot write off his car against the electricity pole opposite our house - the pole was damaged enough that it needed to be replaced, which meant we were without power for most of Monday. At least this idiot didn't flee the scene, unlike the idiot who did the same a few months ago. But he really was an idiot. "I don't know what happened," quoth he, bewilderedly. OK, so I didn't witness it, but let me hazard a guess - you were doing somewhat over the 40 limit when you came over the blind crest onto the bend in the road and lost control of your car. Does that sound about right, hmmm?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23048 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:11:48 pm »
Planning permission last longer than a year, so you may need to look back further. Usually three years.

Traffic as an issue from a development would be considered by the Highways Department, usually the County. If you have a County council.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

« Reply #23049 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:24:46 pm »
Planning permission last longer than a year, so you may need to look back further. Usually three years.

Traffic as an issue from a development would be considered by the Highways Department, usually the County. If you have a County council.

Yes, I looked back through the records as far as 2016. County say all applications of this nature have to go via District, not direct to them.

ETA: I've just looked at the County Council guidelines for applications for a new driveway and they state that there needs to be a minimum 120m unobstructed view along the road from the driveway (for this class of road). I'm pretty certain the new driveway is less than 120m from the blind crest, so permission would be refused on that criterion alone.