Author Topic: Route Advice  (Read 925 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Route Advice
« on: 12 January, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »
St Pancras (2140 hrs) to Paddington.  Wiv a Brompton.

Do I take Euston Road in the dark, or find some tiny back streets, or do I just fold the thing up and take the Tube?  What's the weather like in London tonight?
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
Re: Route Advice
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:22:39 pm »
Purely from memory, I'd head (summat like) north towards Camden, up Parkway, through Regents Park, right past the zoo, out and past Lords, down to cross the old A5  and along the canal towards Little Venice and from there, turn left near to Warwick Avenue to hit Padders from the freight depot end.

HTH .... but 'twas a long while ago!! O:-)
Old enough to know better!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:30:47 pm »
Nowt wrong with the Euston Road at that time of night, in my experience.  I'll take nice fast bus lanes over having to think about navigating (the Garmin always lies about the one-wayness of back streets) any time.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
I like the Euston Road.  Do the underpasses FTW  :thumbsup:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
I bottled out. :-[  The tube won.

I've lugged a Brompton from Derby to Bodmin via London, and now am on my way back (direct) and the last time I actually rode it (as opposed to wheeled it while unfolded) was riding from home to Derby station.

Still, better to carry it around with me than have it stolen while locked up at Derby.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2011, 01:33:54 am »
Do the underpasses FTW  :thumbsup:

Yeah, they're only southern shandy-drinking underpasses with decent sight-lines and oxygen and stuff.  Not like the ones you get around here, which I've thus far chickened out of negotiating on a bike.  It's like the Rotherhithe tunnel without the speed limit.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2011, 12:20:58 pm »
I shudder to think that part of my cycle route home from London to my home in the 1980s involved riding under the Hanger Lane underpass, which was about as well lit as a glow-worms gonads!  The noise was terrifying; Fiat 126s used to sound like lorries!
Old enough to know better!