Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by Woofage on Today at 05:50:43 pm »
How long does a set of violin strings last?  Depending on what I what want I pay around £10 for a set of guitar strings that I change every 8-10 weeks

Potentially years, but they can wear and accumulate crud from finger grease and bow rosin. I think Miss W's teacher recommended changing every 6 months or so but I don't know anyone who does that. I've honestly no idea how long my current set have been on but I feel like they're due for a change. Also, they have a much longer settling in period than guitar strings.
The Knowledge / What's in tubeless sealant?
« Last post by quixoticgeek on Today at 05:41:43 pm »

Seeing a picture of a rider who's bright purple tubeless tyre sealant had decided it didn't want to remain in the tube, but instead would like to pool on the pavement. I find myself wondering.

What's in tubeless tyre sealant? And how bad is it for the environment?

J
T-shirt weather here and yesterday was singlet and shorts weather for the run.
Where The Wild Things Are / Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Last post by hellymedic on Today at 05:27:57 pm »
I’d get sniffy about a blood sugar above 7 so I hope it’s the cat...
OT Knowledge / Re: Witnessing form signing... solicitors etc
« Last post by chrisbainbridge on Today at 05:27:50 pm »
But my documents needed a specific solicitor authorised as a notary.
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by PaulF on Today at 05:27:14 pm »
As mentioned upthread (and to give some thread balance for nicknack) I put new strings on my EV - d'Addario Helicore. Very nice, and surprisingly for a "bright" string the E is very sweet.

My acoustic violin is overdue for a string change and I'd like something different but with good sets running at £60-£70 or more I'm a little hesitant.

I like Helicores on my viola, though haven't tried them for violin.

The price of strings is indeed rather prohibitive to experimentation these days, though. :-\

How long does a set of violin strings last?  Depending on what I what want I pay around £10 for a set of guitar strings that I change every 8-10 weeks
28 degrees here and a bank holiday. We drove with the top down to Xanten for ice cream - half of Kreis Kleve were buying ice cream but somehow we got served really quickly.
Rides and Touring / Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Last post by Tomsk on Today at 05:21:18 pm »
Eta around 21:00 for me.
The Pub / Re: Super-Twat
« Last post by TheLurker on Today at 04:45:52 pm »
Quote from: rogerzilla
You can't cut your way to success.  Cutting is what you...
Tsk, tsk RZ; don't you know the weasel is a bona fide "Business Genius"* and therefore *whatever* he does must be right?

*He is other things too, but this is a family forum.
If by Rixen and Kaul bracket you mean the bar-bag bracket, as used by almost every conventional bar bag nowadays, then I agree. It's an abomination, placing the weight way too far off the front, with adverse effects on both handling and bounceability.

Yes, that’s the one. A flat plate held onto the bag by four rivets. The handlebar fitting involves screws into plastic.
I do tend to use my bar bag as my “keep it with me” bag, if I’m wandering off to look at things or go into shops, sit on trains etc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10