Author Topic: not quite independent coffee shops  (Read 1702 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
not quite independent coffee shops
« on: 09 January, 2013, 06:20:27 pm »
Anyone spend cash at Harris and Hoole?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20943739

(what an odd name that is!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: not quite independent coffee shops
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2013, 06:40:30 pm »
It refers to some Samuel Pepys characters, and so is apposite.

Would you prefer part of your coffee to be owned by Tesco or Royal Bank of Scotland...
It is simpler than it looks.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #2 on: 09 January, 2013, 07:29:43 pm »
Not seen one yet, and looks like most of their branches are currently in London.

...but if I pass one, I'll probably go in and give it a try.  This review suggests that they're using Union beans and the staff have a reasonable idea of what they're doing.

I'm afraid I'm more interested in the coffee than the ownership structure.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:11:56 pm »
Independent cafes are one of those things i really want to like, but just don't.
It's one of the reasons I like calendar audaxes rather than DIYs, because they often go to independents that are tried and tested that I wouldn't know about otherwise. But on my DIYs i'm afraid my choice of control, in order, is usually starbucks, mcdonalds, morrisons cafe, costa. Although i'm really not that keen onthe food in costa.
Typical experience - got to woodhall spa the other weekend, about 11am, looked in the local independent cafe - chairs still on tables. Great. Co-op it is, then. Why do they always seem to be either shut, full, or dark - like they're somebody's house and you feel like you're intruding, or not sell anything savoury?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:17:51 pm »
Mom & Pop Hardware: A Subsidiary of Global Dynamics Corporation

(from The Simpsons)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »
Teapigs is another front for bigco.  Even bangs on about how the founders dreamed it up while working for a big teaco. Neglects to mention its simply a bigco owned and invented brand (from an 'innovations team' department) thats being piloted and groomed for the Ben & Jerry treatment, based on folk paying more for an emotional connection that the 2 year tenure brand manager drones and soho admen manipulate with complete cynicism.
Its the equivalent of Halleliah being sung by a Cowell X factor bimbo - soulless.
Just remember each cup drunk helps the designer-kit casually dressed Audi driver pay his mortgage of the executive lifestyle home he commutes from, and his golf club membership. Thats worth supporting.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »
How big does a chain have to get to become a bigco itself?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:28:13 pm »
Anything > 3/32?

« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:29:08 pm »
Sorry, bored on train. Wondering where Coffee#1 and Boston Tea Party sit on this?

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2013, 07:46:37 pm »
Teapigs is another front for bigco.  Even bangs on about how the founders dreamed it up while working for a big teaco. Neglects to mention its simply a bigco owned and invented brand (from an 'innovations team' department) thats being piloted and groomed for the Ben & Jerry treatment, based on folk paying more for an emotional connection that the 2 year tenure brand manager drones and soho admen manipulate with complete cynicism.
Its the equivalent of Halleliah being sung by a Cowell X factor bimbo - soulless.
Just remember each cup drunk helps the designer-kit casually dressed Audi driver pay his mortgage of the executive lifestyle home he commutes from, and his golf club membership. Thats worth supporting.

But if, as a result of investment in training, good staff incentivisation etc, the BigCo's coffee is the best and their economies of scale make it cheaper than Dave's Diner then, surely, money well spent? Instinctively, I always buy from local businesses but it's an instinct I find hard to justify rationally.

Not that I'd buy overpriced coffee from anyone.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
 ;D

Independent cafes are one of those things i really want to like, but just don't.

My favourite coffee shops here in Embra are (all, I think) independent - but independence doesn't guarantee quality, particularly if you're not spoiled for choice.   Everything else being equal, I prefer to spend my money locally.

It refers to some Samuel Pepys characters, and so is apposite.

Would you prefer part of your coffee to be owned by Tesco or Royal Bank of Scotland...

Well, we all own some of RBoS  ;)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2013, 10:14:08 pm »
;D

My favourite coffee shops here in Embra are (all, I think) independent - but independence doesn't guarantee quality, particularly if you're not spoiled for choice.   Everything else being equal, I prefer to spend my money locally.
yeah, I think it's easier to get good independents in a big city. Much more competition

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2013, 10:17:41 am »
How big does a chain have to get to become a bigco itself?
Simple:
If all you do is run UK caffs, and you're not even the biggest in that niche, then you're not in the running.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles