Author Topic: My Name Is Earl  (Read 4137 times)

Si

My Name Is Earl
« on: 23 April, 2008, 08:16:57 pm »
Just wanna say, what a great series this is.  I hardly ever get chance to see it but every time I do it cracks me up.  This evenings was the one where Randy breaks up with his girlfriends and sits there singing along to True Colours...classic.

border-rider

Re: My Name Is Earl
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:04:13 am »
Mrs MV got me into this

I was sceptical at first, but now I agree - it is superb :)

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:29:37 am »
I do feel slightly guilty about enjoying it as apparently almost everyone involved in making it is connected to the Scientologists... nevertheless it is very well observed.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:42:54 am »
I do feel slightly guilty about enjoying it as apparently almost everyone involved in making it is connected to the Scientologists... nevertheless it is very well observed.

I don't check the beliefs and/or ideals of TV/Movie actors before enjoying a film.

I love this show.  I love the (usually) happy-endingness of it.

And I don't mind Catalina one bit either.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:17:43 pm »
I don't check the beliefs and/or ideals of TV/Movie actors before enjoying a film.

Before you get all self-righteous, there have been things written about this - which I just happened to read. The pieces made me slightly uncomfortable because I have personal knowledge of this nasty cult and its practices which makes me very suspicious of anything in which they involved. It hasn't stopped me enjoying this show, but it does make me watch it in a slightly different way now. Maybe I even get more out of it than I did before.

Indeed, you get more out of a piece of art of whatever kind (and this includes TV shows) if you know something about the motivations of the creators - you understand the original Battlestar Galactica a lot more if you realise it was written as a Mormon allegory, for example.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:21:00 pm »
Oh for goodness sake - I used to love this show, now you've ruined it for me.

I'll be thinking about al-gorey all the time ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »
Oh for goodness sake - I used to love this show, now you've ruined it for me.

I'll be thinking about al-gorey all the time ...

:'( sorry...

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2008, 10:56:51 pm »
E.T. was made by a Jew and starred some Jewish, Christian and Atheist actors.

Same goes for the Indiana Jones movies.

Star Wars was made by a Methodist (later more a Buddhist)

Jews are disproportionately (by faith) responsible for a huge percentage of Movie, TV and Theatre output in the US.

Why do Scientologists present a problem for you? 

Just another bunch who believe a different form of mumbo-jumbo and are as keen as the others to get their hands on people's money aren't they?

I sense a new thread.

O:-)

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »
MNIE is a guilty pleasure of mine, consistantly good, I could even see it going the distance the same way the Simpsons or Happy Days did

I must say though that it is in a short a TV series based on the the film Raising Arizona, the ethical and social themes are almost identical

Really Ancien

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:07:37 pm »
I enjoyed the episode of 'The big bang theory' shown after, the characters were very believable.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ygr8PTrgG0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3ygr8PTrgG0&rel=1</a>

Damon.

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:26:30 pm »
Before you get all self-righteous,

Yeah, don't tread on his toes, man!

LEE

« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:48:14 pm »

Scientology is wrong, mkay?

Never said it wasn't but why single them out?

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:32:10 pm »
I was being sarcastic  ;)

gonzo

« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:51:26 pm »
I enjoyed the episode of 'The big bang theory' shown after, the characters were very believable.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ygr8PTrgG0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/3ygr8PTrgG0&rel=1</a>

Thanks for that; it was really enjoyable! It's managed to get my brain working again after it stalled mid-report! Unfortunately, the tone of my report has suddently got a whole lot more geeky!

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2008, 06:07:39 pm »

Scientology is wrong, mkay?

Never said it wasn't but why single them out?
Because they are a gang of manipulative shits who deserve a good kicking on a regular basis IMHO

Does that answer your question?

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2008, 01:20:16 pm »
Because they are a gang of manipulative shits who deserve a good kicking on a regular basis IMHO

Does that answer your question?

Quite - I don't want to clutter up this thread with stuff about them, but I had an acquaintance who spent years trying to escape their attentions after leaving and speaking out about their nasty practices... most religions do not care too much if you decide to do something different. Not the Scientologists.

gonzo

« Reply #16 on: 28 April, 2008, 01:22:31 pm »
most religions do not care too much if you decide to do something different. Not the Scientologists.

Everyone else deals with it after you die! ;)

Back on topic (well closer to it), I've now watched all 13 episodes of the Big Bang theory I could find in under 12 hours! So good!

« Reply #17 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:26:04 pm »
Have you noticed that the girl who works with Leonard at the lab is the same actress who was Roseanne's daughter and in Roseanne the actor who plays Leonard was her boyfriend.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #18 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:38:05 pm »
The Big Bang theory is undemanding - but I can't see it going anywhere.

bikenerd

« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »
None of the above are as good as 30 Rock.  Which was bounced all around the Five networks 3 channels.  There's a 2nd series on in America at the moment.  Hopefully it'll make it over here.