Author Topic: Bromptoneers - What Did You Change?  (Read 8242 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Re: Bromptoneers - What Did You Change?
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
Very surprised by the ride - I expected to be wobbling all over the place, but the bike seemed pretty sure footed under me, and I was grinning a little too much doing circuits of the car park near the bike shop.  Braking seemed ok to me.

The only time that I really notice the steering on my Brompton is when I've just ridden the tandem and put it back in the garage. When I ride the Brompton home I notice it for about 50 meters.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 09 October, 2009, 03:55:47 pm »
Very surprised by the ride - I expected to be wobbling all over the place

I was forwarded this article by a friend the other day:
Bike swap: How does a tootling hybrid compare to an unpredictable folding bike? | Environment | guardian.co.uk

On the other hand, I can ride my Brompton no-handed. I guess it depends on the rider's skillz.  :smug:

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27 on: 09 October, 2009, 04:19:07 pm »

AFAIR it sttarted life as a Halfords front rack

If that fits to the frame block then I'd be worried about limiting the steering circle!
[/quote]

I doubt that it affects the steering. Chris Eley is an experienced long distance Bromptoneer. I know that he has cycled from The Shetlands back to Oxon. He has some Steve Parry variations on the bike including a Rohloff.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #28 on: 13 October, 2009, 11:26:20 pm »
If your answer to the above question was -

'Everything!'

Then you are Rogerzilla and ICMFP  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

IGMC

J
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

John the Monkey

« Reply #29 on: 15 October, 2009, 08:40:32 pm »
Arf :)

I've already changed the gears...

Heard today that my cyclescheme voucher had been approved, so I rushed down to the shop to place a deposit on the S3, only to find that it had been sold (and no more in the shop 'til January (ok) at January prices (HOW MUCH?)

So now I'm having an S6L, which seems like overkill (I live in Cheshire), but will be cheaper than a 2010 S3L.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 15 October, 2009, 09:25:42 pm »
I have a spare AM mechanism if anyone is really keen on tinkering.  It will go into an AW or an S-RF3 shell (you'd need to add an oil port for the latter unless you want to run it in the new gel, which is less efficient).  It gives closer gears of 86.4%, 100% and 115.5% compared to the AW's 75%, 100% and 133%.  You'll also need a driver (can be bought new for peanuts, or cannibalised from an AW).  In fact, it's easier to just let me convert it.

It is well-worn (although it functions perfectly) and therefore rather rattly on a Proper Bike, but on the Brompton you don't hear it; it's drowned out by all the other rattles.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.