Author Topic: Anti glare filter  (Read 683 times)

Anti glare filter
« on: 09 March, 2020, 12:16:33 pm »
Years ago my employer at the time supplied monitors with a screen filter. I believe it was anti glare,  anti reflection. Can you get something similar for a laptop?

I get light sensitive following migraines and I figured one might help with that. Can't change lighting so this could be my solution.

Anyone use something like that?

Re: Anti glare filter
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:30:35 pm »
Yes, simply google "laptop anti glare filter" and you'll see plenty of examples. Alternatively search for the same thing on Amazon or eBay.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:47:34 pm »
For a cheaper solution, simply paint your screen with gravy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:49:24 pm »
Barakta tried a couple (on a desktop monitor), because she was stuck with a choice between running the screen at full brightness so the backlight didn't flicker, or dimming it down for 200Hz strobe-o-vision at a reasonable intensity - both of which were migraine triggers.

One was a clip-on thing that didn't fit very well, and caused unwanted reflections.

Another was a sheet that stuck to the surface of the display electrostatically.  It was basically impossible to do this without introducing some trace of dust between the layers (think applying a screen protector to a mobile device, but much bigger and with gravity against you), and it didn't quite reach to the edges, resulting in a bright line that had to be covered with insulating tape, at loss of some pixels.

I can't imagine these things being anything other than a massive pain on a laptop.

Eventually we tracked down a model of monitor that had a non-flickery backlight and a matte screen surface (to minimise reflections).  This is surprisingly hard to find, because all the high-end stuff has shiny screens to improve the sharpness (in perfectly lit rooms), and it meant she had to give up her preferred 2x 5:4 display arrangement.  (She's now got a 4:5[1] and a 16:10, which is about the same area in a less useful configuration.)

[1] An old Dell 5:4 thing mounted on its side for about the same height.