Author Topic: New event - Thanet Platinum 200  (Read 10220 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: New event - Thanet Platinum 200
« Reply #25 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:55:39 am »
Received, and very impressed with the clarity of the info provided.

Thanks. I've been working on it on and off for ages so it's quite well polished!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:44:08 pm »
Routesheets & GPX files are now confirmed

Received, and very impressed with the clarity of the info provided. I particularly liked the maps showing where each control is - when riding out of area, I appreciate the peace of mind knowing in advance where the controls are within the locality.

Ferry from Essex starts at 05:50 then almost every 30 mins-ish so a 100 ece looks doable

@jibers, do you have a route planned from the ferry to the start? I had a quick look, but there's a multitude of A-roads that look hard to avoid, particularly around the pinch points. I can investigate further, but if you've got something in mind then I could just follow your route  :)
Check out my strava of today's ride down to Ramsgate, it's pretty much that route... I went a bit off my normal route through Billericay but it'll be fine at Audax o'clock.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #27 on: 01 July, 2017, 05:01:42 am »
Check out my strava of today's ride down to Ramsgate, it's pretty much that route... I went a bit off my normal route through Billericay but it'll be fine at Audax o'clock.

Perfect, I'll take a look  :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #28 on: 07 August, 2017, 10:42:00 pm »
Have I got this right - all four fixed controls require a receipt, as there won't be a human controller at any of them? And is there time limits on the intermediate controls or just the overall time?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:09:39 am »
Or somewhere for a tent?
I'll be on family holiday so no show for me, else I'd have been along.

« Reply #30 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:53:01 am »
A friend and his wife are inconveniently having their joint 50th birthday party that day - most inconsiderate of them. I'd  been looking forward to entering this as well.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:56:20 am »
I'd been looking forward to riding this event but will be working in Oz through September instead. I hope it goes well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

« Reply #32 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:07:23 am »
Have I got this right - all four fixed controls require a receipt, as there won't be a human controller at any of them? And is there time limits on the intermediate controls or just the overall time?

Yeah, it's all commercial controls - unless I can find volunteers to do some card stamping, or get down to each control to leave some stickers. I did look at village hall hire for a couple of the controls but without the guarantee of enough entrants to cover costs, it's a bit of a risk on a new event. Maybe next time...

Strictly speaking, the time limits do apply to intermediate controls but as long as you get back to the finish in time, that's all that matters for practical purposes.

citoyen

« Reply #33 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:08:44 am »
Manotea/jsabine/LWaB - sorry I won't be seeing you, but fingers crossed, if it all goes off well, there will be a next time...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #34 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:15:01 am »

Yeah, it's all commercial controls - unless I can find volunteers to do some card stamping, or get down to each control to leave some stickers. I did look at village hall hire for a couple of the controls but without the guarantee of enough entrants to cover costs, it's a bit of a risk on a new event. Maybe next time...

OK that all makes sense.  Cheers
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #35 on: 16 August, 2017, 09:35:01 pm »
LWaB, jsabine, Manotea, or anyone else who can't make the date...

I've test-ridden the route a few times myself and I'm fairly confident it is sound, but I would welcome a fresh pair of eyes on it, so if anyone fancies doing a routechecking 'helpers' ride between now and 2nd September, let me know. I'm happy enough with the GPX files but feedback on the routesheet would be especially welcome. I would potentially join in the routechecking ride if I'm free, or at very least buy the helper a pint at the finish.

Obviously this is not carte blanche for a load of riders to do a secondary event - rules dictate one or two routecheckers at most.

« Reply #36 on: 17 August, 2017, 01:09:10 am »
I'd been thinking of dropping you a line offering to do a routecheck anyway, so I guess that's my cue to send a PM

« Reply #37 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:05:44 am »
I'm unlikely to make it now. Post LEL family responsibilities mean I am now on duty that weekend as Mrs Tippers has arranged a weekend treat for herself. I'm gutted as you guys have been great supporters of the ACME rides. Still, I believe a few of our mob will be making it at least.

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 17 August, 2017, 10:38:01 am »
That's a shame, Tippers. Hopefully you'll be able to make it next time... I think our roving ambassador Martin is the one who can take the credit for showing up at all the ACME rides - I've not been able to make it over to your side of the Thames this year, but hope to do so next season (definitely fancy the Kelvedon Oyster).

Following discussion elsewhere on yacf, I've just updated the GPX files to include the controls & infos as waypoints - available to download from the AUK site. I'll also send them out by email after final route checking. I don't have a compatible device myself so I'll be intrigued to see if they work as intended.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #39 on: 18 August, 2017, 11:29:19 pm »
Only two weeks until the rendezvous with Janet* :)

*One for the Mid Essex contingent
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #40 on: 27 August, 2017, 07:57:04 pm »
Minor Q - do you know what the breakfast food will be? Should I have a proper breakfast as well before I rock up to the Depart?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

« Reply #41 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:50:33 pm »
Minor Q - do you know what the breakfast food will be? Should I have a proper breakfast as well before I rock up to the Depart?

Just been planning that today. Won't be anything elaborate, but I'm thinking of knocking up a batch of flapjacks and some simple pastry things. Have also ordered a big box of bananas. You might want to have something more substantial before you set off though.

« Reply #42 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
Thanks for that. I'll bring my 3 weetabix and a flask of milk then.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:54:45 pm »
Simple pastry things:

(Test bake this evening. I'll be perfectly honest, the recipe might need some refinement but they were polished off before they had a chance to cool properly.)

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 27 August, 2017, 09:57:06 pm »

Only three? Lightweight.

« Reply #45 on: 27 August, 2017, 10:05:07 pm »

Only three? Lightweight.

Anymore and there'll be no room for caeekkkkeeee!!

« Reply #46 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:48:47 pm »
I have been informed that there is a stretch of the route, in Chestfield I think, that has been closed off for a couple of weeks now. I don't know if its likely to be open again in time. Apparently a bit of a detour is involved, so a little warning to everyone.

citoyen

« Reply #47 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:53:14 pm »
I have been informed that there is a stretch of the route, in Chestfield I think, that has been closed off for a couple of weeks now. I don't know if its likely to be open again in time. Apparently a bit of a detour is involved, so a little warning to everyone.

Yeah, it's been closed since late July and is due to be cleared before the weekend, but I'm monitoring the situation.

It is possible to get through with a bike, but I will send out details of a suggested detour in the next day or two if it doesn't look like being cleared in time.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #48 on: 01 September, 2017, 08:21:04 am »
ECE submitted, route loaded on Garmin, alarm set for 03:10 tomorrow...  :facepalm: see you in Kent on the 100!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

citoyen

« Reply #49 on: 01 September, 2017, 10:17:00 am »
I'll be setting my alarm for the slightly more human time of 5.30am, aiming to be at the start by 7am, so I hope not too many people are planning to arrive earlier than that.

Looks like the weather is set fair, so hopefully should be a nice day out on the bike. Forecast is for a light tailwind on the outward leg, becoming more of a crosswind on the return.

See you tomorrow!