Author Topic: Tan Hill 200  (Read 25570 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Tan Hill 200
« on: 30 October, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »
Whilst riding late season 200s recently, I've been asked by several riders if I'll be running the Tan Hill 200 again next year. The answer is yes, and although only officially in the project stage at the moment and therefore, not yet visible in the online calendar. The date will be Sunday 31 May 2009, with a different start and finish point. The event HQ will now be in the village of Pendleton, about 2 miles north of Clitheroe. This has meant a change to the route, with the inclusion of Dentdale and Fleet Moss in order to make up for the lost distance. Different route :) - same suffering :-[.

I've managed to upload some photos on the AUK website photo gallery from this years event.

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

Re: Tan Hill 200
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2009, 06:06:15 pm »
There's still time to enter this event. Free goody-bag for all finishers.

Andy Corless

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2009, 06:25:05 pm »
Sounds good Andy. Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping to ride the Dales Grimpeur on 30th of May but it turns out that I am unavailable. I will send my entry through tomorrow.

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2009, 07:37:20 pm »
Anybody else from yacf riding the tan hill 200? I sent my entry late last week. Has anybody got a gpx track for it?

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2009, 11:06:50 pm »
Thanks Andy for organising such a superb ride with a lot more climbing than advertised.  :o

My slowest 200 ever. Tired but content.  :thumbsup:

Andy Corless

« Reply #5 on: 01 June, 2009, 06:16:02 pm »
12 entered, 6 started and 6 finished. Weather was fine - probably hottest day of the year. Next years date is likely to change again, as I can't organise the event in May. I've pencilled in Sunday 25 April 2010, but it could be earlier, or in June/July.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Tan Hill 200

Andy Corless

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2011, 10:50:20 am »
This years event will take place on Sunday 26 June 2011. Starting from Padiham in Lancashire, the route is exactly the same as 2008!

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2011, 10:41:00 am »
There's now a website for this event.

www.tanhill200.co.uk

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2011, 04:24:56 pm »
Still not too late to enter this event.

Free gift for all finishers.

Start: Padiham, Lancashire
Date: Sunday 26 June 2011
Time: 08:00
Fee: £3

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #9 on: 04 July, 2011, 05:10:20 pm »
It seems we started with 12 riders this year, and finished with 12 even stronger riders.

The weather was kind on the outward leg to Tan Hill, with a strong S/SW wind blowing the riders over both Waddington & Tatham Fells; Newby Head and Buttertubs Pass. Things seemed to continue well through Arkengarthdale, until the riders left Grinton to be faced with what looked like a wall! The steep climb over Harkerside Moor, into a headwind, was the most difficult part of the ride for most riders. Fortunately, the wind eased in the early evening allowing everybody to finish on time.

A couple of special mentions from me: Andy Clarkson, Chris Crookes and Bob Johnson also completed the event in 2008. Robert Bialek, Don Black & Peter Bond who all cycled to and from the start from home, and Peter Bond again who assisted a young lady repairing a puncture.

Peter has also complied a ride report on the forum under the heading, "Tan Hill 200 26th June 2011".

Thanks to all the riders who took part.

Event photographs can be viewed online at: www.tanhill200.co.uk, and a copy will be sent to the Audax UK magazine editor for possible inclusion in a future edition of Arrivee.

Next years event has been provisionally set for Sunday 27 May 2012, which would normally be bank-holiday weekend, but is apparently not next year!

Congratulations again to all those who took part, and I look forward to seeing you again next year. 

Andy Corless
Organiser
Tan Hill 200

« Reply #10 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:43:06 pm »
Just come across this Andy. Thanks for the mentions and once again for the ride.  The pictures don't tell it all but they give a satisfying sense of "up"!

Cheers

Andy Corless

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:13:04 pm »
Still not too late to enter this event. Route follows some early climbs over Sabden before climbing over the Yorkshire Dales to Tan Hill. The return leg includes the climbs of Harkerside Moor and Kidstones.

Start: Padiham, Lancashire
Date: Sunday 27 May 2012
Time: 08:00
Fee: £5

Free gift for all finishers.

Andy Corless

P.S. FWIW I've just seen the queen go past in Burnley!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2012, 12:32:27 pm »

delivering her entry by hand no doubt ;D

« Reply #13 on: 16 May, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »
This one is another on my "to do" list, but sadly not this year.  Next year could well be on, however.  The "to do" list is getting steadily shorter, with Chevy Chase the most recently crossed off.  That does not mean it won't be done again sometime.

Andy Corless

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »

delivering her entry by hand no doubt ;D
Fortunately not no! She wouldn't have had time as anybody else driving past at that speed would have got a speeding ticket anyway!

Andy Corless

ajc

• See, I told you it was green for me
« Reply #15 on: 16 May, 2012, 04:25:53 pm »
Hi Andy, 

I've entered, as I said in my e-mail to you, its my first Audax !   ;D

I'm looking forward to it and a free gift at the end too, I'd better make sure I finish  !  :thumbsup:

Alan.

You can call me Al.

Hillbilly

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2013, 12:54:00 pm »
Anyone else in for this ride?

Looks like a great route!

« Reply #17 on: 18 July, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »
Yes, it is a great route, and very hard in the heat.  However, I am in, having done it already a couple of times, but I doubt if I'll be seeing much of you, or whether I'll get round in time!  Win or lose, it's only twenty miles to home for me.

« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2013, 10:46:00 am »
This ride is a great challenge and should be on everyone's 'to-do' list.  Good luck to all the entrants.  I cannot be there due to family and work commitments, but I'll be thinking of you as you're heading up that last stretch of Tan Hill (thinking you've done all the climbing - tee hee!).

Hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: 19 July, 2013, 12:04:25 pm »
"Challenge" is one of those words that has an everyday meaning and an audax meaning....

Hillbilly

« Reply #20 on: 21 July, 2013, 09:15:44 pm »
The first 150km were indeed a scenic challenge. Great scenery that just kept on giving metres of ascent.  The first 60km was lumpier than most 100Km grimpeurs south of Watford.  Andy did his usual drive around making sure we were all suffering, taking pictures of our grimaces as we crested and bested the worst of them.  :thumbsup:

First time up Buttertubs and Tan Hill.  Both climbs out of the top drawer.  Castle Bolton was a unique control - felt like I was on my holibobs (or should that by hillibobs).

Thanks to Andy.  We may have been few in number but I suspect we all had a grand adventure in the Pennines today.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 21 July, 2013, 11:37:56 pm »
Well done, Billy, I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, I called it a day at Ribblehead for reasons I will explain in a ride report soon.  Desperately disappointed because this is a superb ride, which I've done twice before, and I wanted to see Arkengarthdale again, especially.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #22 on: 22 July, 2013, 12:43:31 pm »
Glad to see that you got back Peter - shame you had to pack at Ribblehead as that section to there into the wind was one of the toughest of the "flat" sections.
Arkengarthdale was a bit head-on too but mostly downhill. I just love the bleakness and feeling on top of the world up there from Tan Hill Inn, then the variation as you drop through the village.

Great folk muso at The Inn. Could have stayed there longer than the time to devour soup and a pint would allow. He did a great Cat Stevens number, The Wind, with a looper and all voice activated backing. Shame we didn't get the guy's name - a real entertainer.

Like Peter, I was struggling myself - some self inflicted gastric trouble, probably caused by a Malay Pad Thai stir-fry on Sat night involving fish sauce, eggs, noodles, chicken, chopped nuts and a few beers. And a bag of mixed nuts and raisins. That concoction gave me severe heartburn on Sunday, aggravated by a bit of rich carrot cake at Slaidburn. My High5 liquid carb was a real problem to force down but I had to, to keep hydrated and energised. So, felt like packing too. I thought that a bacon and sausage sarnie in the bikers cafe in Hawes might help but, with 3 layers of bacon, 2 layers of sausage and 2 meagre pads of barm, struggled to consume all that protein and struggled not to throw it all up once i'd scaled Buttertubs. The soup and the pint at the Inn helped. Castle Bolton cafe had now't plain so I forced a slice of flap-jack down. With 30km to go at Gargrave, I ditched the rest of the High5 and bought plain water. That helped and having caught up with 2 others helped.

We trailed in as a 3-some just under the 12 hours - so for my final LEL prep's, to come in last seems far from an ideal finish. It's been 5 years since I last rode this event (on its debut) and Grinton is still a major grind up. I also struggled over Kidstones this time, having "not minded" it in previous ascents. I guess that was done to being <100% well - i just hope I've had my "challenging" ride now for this season and all is well for next week. No more "foreign" food for me for a week or two then - corned beef and spuds and peas...
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #23 on: 22 July, 2013, 01:36:44 pm »
Thanks for the commiserations Graeme and I'm glad you survived!  If it took you twelve hours, I know you must have been off-colour.  I, too, had the carrot cake at Slaidburn.  Did you think they'd used the garlic knife to cut it?!

Might see you at Eskdalemuir, though I expect you'll be through before I arrive to help.

Good luck!

« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2013, 09:12:04 pm »
Hope you're okay Peter.  I didn't see anyone other than Andy after Slaidburn but had a really enjoyable time.  Was cool enough for climbing big hills without being too cold on the descents.  Recommend this to anyone and will almost certainly be back on it next year too

Ade