Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Quorn
« Reply #51 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:47:37 pm »
Quorn is the spawn of Stan.  Revolting stuff  :sick:

I quite like Quorn

;D

One can change one's views...  not everyone is a dogmatic dinosaur ;D

I used to hate the stuff.  But it has been improved over the last few years.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 09 February, 2011, 01:39:10 pm »
I'd agree.  It used to give me indigestion, but not now.  I'm not so fond of the mince, but the chunks are useful for giving texture to stews, stir-fries, fajitas etc.  I much prefer mushrooms or tofu for that, but those things don't have universal approval in our household.
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 09 February, 2011, 01:46:40 pm »
I still don't really understand using egg white to bind other proteins together. Why not eat the egg white instead?

« Reply #54 on: 09 February, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
I still don't really understand using egg white to bind other proteins together. Why not eat the egg white instead?

A lot of people in the food ingredients industry had a go at finding the magic ingredient to bind Quorn together and failed.  Nothing works as well as egg, nor has the nice ingredient declaration.  The downside is that it is considered a food allergen.
Egg albumin is pretty unique as a food ingredient and its functionality very hard to replace in many applications. 
I know this because it's a problem that's doing my head-in at the moment  :'(

« Reply #55 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »
I can see the fermenters where the mycroprotien is made from my office window.

We eat a fair bit of Quorn as Mrs Hugo15 doesn't eat red meat.

« Reply #56 on: 30 September, 2016, 03:56:40 pm »
Thread necromancy time.
Doctor told me knock red meat on the head - if I want to lower my cholestrol level to one which is more acceptable  - or die horribly.

My chilli con carne is made with low fat beef mince and pork tenderlion which I cut into bit sized chunks. It works.

I've no issue with Quorn, I used to cook with it when I went through a veggie phase a few years ago.
Quorn mice is there to replace the beef mince. Would the Quorn chicken pieces do to replace the pork? I wouldn't ordinarily mix beef and chicken in the same dish. Does the quorn chicken stuff actually taste like chicken, or is it simply textured as such?
Or by the time I've added the garlic, spices, tomatoes etc, would anyone be able to tell that its 'chicken'?
Does anyone know?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #57 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:24:50 pm »
Didn't think there was much flesh on mice...

« Reply #58 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »

Is it the flesh that contributes to a high cholesterol count?
Mince beef and pork tenderloin are the only red meats I eat. ???
No steaks or anything like that. Ever.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #59 on: 30 September, 2016, 04:32:41 pm »
I always use quorn to make chilli, I bung loads of peppers and oil and garlic and stuff in.  Give the chunks a try, see what you think.  Texture's important, even if the flavour isn't quite there.  I always put some paprika and cumin in with the chilli, nom.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #60 on: 30 September, 2016, 07:57:02 pm »
I always use quorn to make chilli, I bung loads of peppers and oil and garlic and stuff in.  Give the chunks a try, see what you think.  Texture's important, even if the flavour isn't quite there.  I always put some paprika and cumin in with the chilli, nom.
I'll give that a go Ruthie. Ta!
Peppers sounds good. :thumbsup:
I also slice up shitake mushrooms and put them into mine.

seraphina

« Reply #61 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
MrS makes a good veggie chilli with Quorn pieces, but never having eaten meat I have no reference. If you are after a good veggie chilli I can wholeheartedly recommend this one (or indeed anything by Kenji):

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

Miso and Marmite are good at adding depth to veggie stuff.

I often wonder whether the thick gloop left behind after cooking chickpeas in the pressure cooker could be used as an egg white substitute/gelatine substitute.

« Reply #62 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:31:11 pm »
MrS makes a good veggie chilli with Quorn pieces, but never having eaten meat I have no reference. If you are after a good veggie chilli I can wholeheartedly recommend this one (or indeed anything by Kenji):

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/best-vegetarian-bean-chile-recipe.html

I often wonder whether the thick gloop left behind after cooking chickpeas in the pressure cooker could be used as an egg white substitute/gelatine substitute.
Miso is new to me - I will investigate - Ta.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #63 on: 30 September, 2016, 08:53:36 pm »
You could try adding a few different sorts of lentils/split peas/beans to the mice mince. They'll take the flavour of the chilli, they'll bulk it up, they're cheaper than quorn, and the texture will be ok.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
« Reply #64 on: 30 September, 2016, 09:01:55 pm »
Quorn now do gammon steaks Might they replace the pork in a suitable way?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #65 on: 30 September, 2016, 09:02:04 pm »

Whenever I  make a stew-type dish with tinned pulses I always put the liquor in as well.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #66 on: 30 September, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »
You could try adding a few different sorts of lentils/split peas/beans to the mice mince. They'll take the flavour of the chilli, they'll bulk it up, they're cheaper than quorn, and the texture will be ok.
Ta
Pippa (otp) has mentioned (by email) bulking up using red lentils.
I'll give it a go.
Ta.
J

« Reply #67 on: 01 October, 2016, 07:35:42 am »

There are loads of recipes on the internet singing the praises of chickpea water to make things like meringues, mayonnaise, cakes, etc. Look up "aquafaba".

One of the shallots made vegan chocolate mousse this way. It was quite revolting.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #68 on: 01 October, 2016, 01:56:37 pm »
Only just noticed your reference to my typo. Doh!  :-[

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 01 October, 2016, 02:31:09 pm »
I am a picky pedant...