Author Topic: Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km Permanent on Saturday 23rd January  (Read 15892 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Dick Turpin's Day Out 200km Permanent on Saturday 23rd January
« Reply #75 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:58:37 am »
AUK Perms back up now  :thumbsup:

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/TD01/

On-line entry not there yet though.  Looks like the team are making good progress  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #76 on: 21 January, 2016, 05:27:08 pm »
I don't suppose there's any room for another clinger-on from London?  O:-)

Ok, why not - quite a peloton forming! [I think a breakaway or two might be in order - that's going to be a lot of riders if we stick together.] We'll see how everyone's fitness has deteriorated over the winter... ;D

Bring a completed entry form, £3, SAE and turn up a bit before 08:00.

I'd guessed you'd probably let me tag along, but I was really trying to cadge a lift so I don't have to get up at an ungodly hour to get the 5:30 from Liverpool street  :P

« Reply #77 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:20:07 pm »
I am aiming to form a breakbehind rather than a breakaway. This is where you deliberately decelerate in an effort to lose other riders. Works a charm.

See you all tomorrow.

« Reply #78 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:32:20 pm »
I am aiming to form a breakbehind rather than a breakaway. This is where you deliberately decelerate in an effort to lose other riders. Works a charm.

See you all tomorrow.

If you look over your shoulder you'll see me in the breakbehind the breakbehind.  I suspect, for all their words, that Tomsk and Tippers will not take a 12 hour jaunt round, but will be at their usual cruising speed - that is unless they stop for more Essex energy drinks than usual.  From what little I know of you and a few of the other riders, they will not be alone.  At least the weather is looking fairly kind for the time of year.

My only aim tomorrow is not to get drawn into RRTY  :facepalm:
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #79 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:43:44 pm »
Mwhahahahahaha.....  :facepalm: :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #80 on: 22 January, 2016, 04:45:46 pm »
BTW - AUK entry form now working for them that needs it...
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »
Yes folks - remember your paperwork tomorrow: form, SAE, £3. Unless you're one of those with cards already, of course...

« Reply #82 on: 22 January, 2016, 11:41:35 pm »

See you all tomorrow.

My only aim tomorrow is not to get drawn into RRTY  :facepalm:

You rode a 200 in Dec, you are riding a 200 in Jan....much too late my friend. You might as well sign up for the braziers run 100 and sort your ECE out  ;D

« Reply #83 on: 23 January, 2016, 06:47:07 am »
Funny you should mention that...

« Reply #84 on: 23 January, 2016, 09:32:46 pm »
Thank you Tomsk, what a good day out. More routes should have Essex Energy Drink stops I feel.

« Reply #85 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:07:50 am »
Bloody shocking control discipline.
It feels like a long time since I rode with other people, so thank you all for the company on the road, and loans of pens and wheels to follow.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #86 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:45:42 am »
Well what a day, Tom put an order in for good weather and it was delivered on time.  Pre-start tea was great at Tom's, many thanks to the family for letting us invade the ground floor of the house! 

The depart was quick and I soon found myself on the front burning through my matchbox, which continued to Wally's for a super breakfast.  My fast (foolish?) exploits soon caught up with me, with the dreaded low arriving just before Sudbury, I think I had about 1.5 matches left at this point...

Post-Sudbury,  McD's finally emitted what energy it contained as it decayed within me (anyone know what the half-life is for a cheese burger?). I'd reduced to a crawl along the very last stretch and for some reason (perhaps I had read a signpost) I was expecting to pass through Thaxted again before the end.  This wasn't helped by my Garmin no longer showing me a cue-sheet so no idea of how far I had left to go...  When the sign loomed out of the dark I actually shouted for joy when it read Great Dunmow!

A "few" Essex Recovery Drinks were consumed and my lift arrived, given it was raining my bike got 80% cleaned on the way home so today will mostly be "an Xbox & Curry" recovery day :)

Thanks for the ride guys..... I was in no mood for another 200km from Sudbury onwards, but the view is changing as the hours tick on since then ! :D  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #87 on: 24 January, 2016, 02:20:27 pm »
I have an out and back that I will be doing to make the 200 if you are interested.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #88 on: 24 January, 2016, 03:12:41 pm »
I have an out and back that I will be doing to make the 200 if you are interested.

Maybe at a pace less than yesterday too?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #89 on: 24 January, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »

I may just take you up on that  :facepalm: Never done an ECE before so something new to learn.

Maybe at a pace less than yesterday too?

I am afraid Tippers and Tomsk just get faster from now on.  You may have to deploy the Rose.

Thanks to Tomsk for organising such a splendid outing and to everyone else for their patience.  May put a report into the MEMWNS Miscellany thread...

« Reply #90 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:50:54 pm »
Thank you Tom, thank you Allen. Can't say it was splendid (the Wally cafe was), more really good to be on the bike again while it lasted.

Steve Abraham gave me all the inspiration I needed, again like so often in the last year. Broken bones and all and being slow.

So I rode to the place where I missed cheering him on New Years morning as the trackers were giving nonsense information as he rode past the house, and had a nice rest.

« Reply #91 on: 25 January, 2016, 08:27:57 am »
Thanks for arranging this Tom, it was cracking to have a big group out on a January DIY.

My daughter had been asking about Dick Turpin, I found THIS which explained it to her and I had this damn tune in my head most of the way round.  ;D

I got my food and drink strategy completely wrong which lead to a pretty depleted state of affairs between Debenham and Dunmow but things rolled by and as it turns out timing was not too far off what I would usually expect.

Tubeless woes continued, hopefully that all stops soon, my patience is running out quite rapidly.

« Reply #92 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:53:18 am »
Aye, a good day out indeed. Nice to catch up with people I hadn't seen since PBP - Robert and Agi and Nik - as well as Alan from flatlands. And now I know who jibberjabber is (nice pics).

Some entertaining moments with the Discovery man and his wife standing beside the road and shouting at us all. Too much Telegraph reading can do that to you.

First half was a real treat, sunny, slightly downwind, not cold. I'm pretty sure most of us had some difficult moments in the last half though.

Even though I was last out from Debenham and had to chase back on for the next 50km eating properly here was a good move. And I found a new spork in the shop next to the co-op. It's red, very fast, such things are important.

I managed to stay on Tomsk's, Richard's and Alan's wheel up the Sudbury hill after macdonalds but then formed a solo breakbehind soon after, and soon after that R and A passed me too - I didn't have it in me to chase, so took my own sweet time over the last 30km at a steady get-me-there pace, buoyed on my knowing that tippers was, no doubt, in much more pain than I was  ;)

Oh yes, and THREE Kinesis tripsters on one ride?!

Thanks Tomsk, really good to get an early 200 'baseline' ride in.

A

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #93 on: 25 January, 2016, 11:54:30 am »
Yes, it was a good ride and very fortunate with the weather. Suffering early in the season due to a little lack of fitness is so much worse alone and in horrible conditions!

My daughter had been asking about Dick Turpin, I found THIS which explained it to her and I had this damn tune in my head most of the way round.  ;D
Adam Ant as Dick Turpin  :thumbsup:

Dick Turpin's fame as a highwayman is mainly down to being fictionalised in 1834, as a minor character in the huge three-volume Gothic novel 'Rookwood, A Romance' by William Harrison Ainsworth, [lived in Dunmow - you see I don't just throw this together!] which outsold Dickens' 'Oliver Twist', of that year. Highway robbery died in the 18th century out due to the rather dull reality of modern banking: the rich had no need to carry around loads of cash or treasure anymore. D.T. was hanged on the Knavesmire, York, where the CTC Rally takes place. He was captured in Brigg, Lincolnshire - on the Easter Arrow, we raid the 24 hour garage there every year in his memory  ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #94 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:56:12 pm »
'Twas a fine and dandy way to spend Saturday morning, albeit briefly since I had to get back home, encapsulated from my point of view here:  http://www.16inchwheels.uk/2016/01/24/dick-turpins-half-a-day-out/.

It was great to see everyone briefly after months of solo DIYs — it would've been better if I'd had more time, as I didn't get to chat much.  Having said that, I'm still finding my pace on fixed and seemed to be at odds with the general pace much of the time, either dropping to the back or leaping off the front.

Tippers — congrats on your 15k miles last year — chapeau! :thumbsup:  Sorry to hear about the off  :hand:

fboab, Alotronic — I was looking forward to riding with you both on fixed, but neither of you obliged, what was that all about?  At least RichE was in with the crowd (albeit singlespeed)  ;)

Jiber — well met, although a bit less pace next time, please!  ::-)

Tom — great to see you as always, and thank you for dragging everyone out of bed  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #95 on: 25 January, 2016, 01:07:52 pm »

I

Bobb and AndyC33 were both posing as experts on the life and times of Dick Turpin when we were in the Six Bells. The fact that nothing they told me about him wasn't in that song makes me realise that it may well be the extent of their so-called research  :o

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #96 on: 25 January, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »
Just to add to what everyone else has said really - cracking day out with excellent company and some good control stops. Second time I've ridden this in just over a week, and whilst it's an excellent winter route, Saturday felt more like a spring day for most of it.

It was a pleasure to meet everyone I'd not met before, and good to have a catch up with people I've not seen since last year. Thanks to JibberJabber for the photos, Tom for doing his usual excellent job of pulling everything together and to everyone else for the company. Hopefully see you all on a ride soon!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #97 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:03:05 pm »
Yes agree, good day out. :thumbsup: We manage a very high average speed for the day and still had plenty of stops too. 

We manage to keep up with the Essex peloton on the way out and got on the front to help with drafting, I think? No major issues to report other than a light issue at the end. Must look at some more lights for these issues.

All in all a good day out.

Thanks to Tom for the tea in the morning and sorting the paper work out last min. Also thanks to Alan for saving us from the bus replacement service.  That would have been a real pain cycling back to Epping.  ::-)

« Reply #98 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
A very abbreviated report and some more pics...

https://audaxery.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/dick-turpin-perm-200-2016/

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #99 on: 28 January, 2016, 12:20:09 pm »

Chilly start, getting layered up

Breakfasts keep coming

Another day, another McD's

Funny how the empties keep accumulating!

...And in between eating and drinking we did some cycling...