Author Topic: Liking Linux more and more  (Read 13213 times)

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Liking Linux more and more
« Reply #25 on: 14 April, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »
Thanks, but 60Hz is what it is (in both).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

bobajobrob

« Reply #26 on: 14 April, 2008, 04:02:48 pm »
Another vote for Gentoo if you like getting your hands dirty. I use it on my firewall, remote access, file server and "play" machines.

I used Gentoo for about a year and got sick of all the compiling. It seems really pointless to compile everything on your system yourself. Building everything from source just seems to make updates likely to fail at least once with some random compile error. I like to get my hands dirty, but having to figure this sort of stuff out was too much. Mostly I would just paste the error message into the forum search and find a solution, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Then other stuff would break, such as one time it updated my /etc/groups file which meant that I couldn't log in as a I was no longer a member of wheel. Not sure how that one slipped through. Setting it up initially with a stage 1 install was fun, though.

« Reply #27 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:47:51 pm »
I've been using 7.10 for about 2 weeks and it works fine.  I'm running Firestarter as well as the firewall in my router but have no AV software ?

Is this necessary and if so what's recommended ?
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

border-rider

« Reply #28 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:51:24 pm »
I used to use firestarter but now I just use the router's firewall

I used to use whatever the default antivirus is ?Clam?, but I stopped because it kept getting in the way.  I don't tend to worry about AV with Ubuntu now.

Maladict

« Reply #29 on: 14 April, 2008, 11:04:26 pm »
I use clamassassin on my incoming email to filter out viruses which stops them getting near Windows, which has to be a good thing.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #30 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:03:12 am »

Well my take is that no AV software is absolutely necessary on any platform. I liken it to driving a car with a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel. Stops you being careless.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #31 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:10:33 am »
The first version I used was a 0.99 kernel over 13 or so years ago on a 386 PC with a whopping 16MBytes of RAM.

0.99 pl13 (I think) was my first kernel. Would have been before university so '92 or '93. The MCC distrib came on 10 floppies (threw them out only a year ago).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

bobajobrob

« Reply #32 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:12:20 am »
I'm running Firestarter as well as the firewall in my router but have no AV software ?

It's not necessary because there are hardly any viruses for Linux. Also, the model of installing software from a repository is inherently much safer than the windows model of downloading executable code from the internet.

Well my take is that no AV software is absolutely necessary on any platform. I liken it to driving a car with a big spike in the middle of the steering wheel. Stops you being careless.

I use windows with no AV software, but then I'm extremely conservative about what I choose to install.

« Reply #33 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:27:52 am »
It's not necessary because there are hardly any viruses for Linux. Also, the model of installing software from a repository is inherently much safer than the windows model of downloading executable code from the internet.

I've always had a deep desire to write a virus for Linux (x86 at least). Nothing too destructive, and certainly not a keylogger or cookie-collector. My x86 assembly isn't strong enough though.

There are an awful lot of linux users that download and run stuff without checking anything. Just chuck in a "This installer needs to be run as root" and a large bunch of lemmings will do sudo it. Tainted binary does it's work but goes off and infects the "ls" binary and you're away.

You could even openly include the virus in the source code for some app. Most people don't look through the source enough to check that it doesn't do anything naughty. They just compile and run. Pick something that occasionally needs to run as root and *ding*.

« Reply #34 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:09:46 am »

I use windows with no AV software, but then I'm extremely conservative about what I choose to install.

Unfortunately not the best solution.  Especially on Windows.

Worms, running on an infected system that can see your computer, will try to infect you.  Yes you could rely on keeping the operating system and applications patched to the latest levels and having a firewall installed, but that doesn't guarantee anything.   I heard comment recently that the intrusion detection on McAfee VirusScan* will stop around 80% of the viruses that exploit the bugs, so just running that AV product on an unpatched version of windows will give a great level of protection; it also means that if a virus comes out that exploits a new loophole, you're likely to be protected BEFORE the software author releases the patch.

Similarly there are a lot of viruses that are embedded in documents.  Just opening an infected document (e.g. word or excel) can be sufficient to get the infection, which will then transfer to every document you subsequently open - and if you pass those onto somebody else then you're passing on the infection.

Even if you're running linux, so not affected by the embedded dodgy code, you could be receiving the virus from user A and passing it onto user C without realising.

Recently I've seen a lot of viruses going around which get through the firewall as they use MSN or Yahoo messenger to spread (other messengers may also be vulnerable).   Any hole you've opened in your firewall is a hole that can be exploited.  Users of P2P networks (music sharing, bit torrent, etc etc etc) are particularly vulnerable to this.

Even basic technology is being exploited again now.  You know the "autorun.inf" file that enables a computer to automatically run an application on a CD/USB key/etc as soon as it's inserted?   There's quite a lot of autorun worms that are going round at the moment, and the first thing they do is copy the virus executable and autorun.inf file to every single drive the computer can see.  One infected USB key can immediately infect one computer and all its mapped network drives, and as soon as any other computer that maps to the same network drive opens that drive, the worm moves onto all new network drives it sees (this includes UNC shares).

I don't think I'd ever run a computer without AV installed.    Even if I ran Linux I'd have something running, whether in the hope of preventing something such as Greenbank's comment above (and he's not the only person to think of writing dodgy software), or more importantly to prevent me passing viruses on to friends/relatives/etc that use windows (and the main reason most people I know use windows is that it's easy to use and they have to use it in the corporate environment, so stick with what they are used to instead of learning a new operating system).

* I use the corporate edition.  The home user version sucks :(

bobajobrob

« Reply #35 on: 15 April, 2008, 11:28:02 am »
Unfortunately not the best solution.  Especially on Windows.

Mine is the only windows install on the network so there are no infected machines. I don't use MSN messenger or IE and I don't open any Office documents that I'm not sure about. The system is firewalled by my NAT router.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #36 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:48:31 pm »
There are an awful lot of linux users that download and run stuff without checking anything. Just chuck in a "This installer needs to be run as root" and a large bunch of lemmings will do sudo it. Tainted binary does it's work but goes off and infects the "ls" binary and you're away.
I agree there is many people who just click ok without thinking. And also one of the main reason why linux and mac's are not hit by the same amount of viruses/trojans etc is that they do not have the same amount of users. So as a hacker/cracker/script kiddy you do not get the same kudos when you hack into that as you do when you break into windows or bring hotmail down, which unfortunately for the users the program is also bugged with holes that makes it easy to break/use.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #37 on: 15 April, 2008, 01:54:53 pm »
And also one of the main reason why linux and mac's are not hit by the same amount of viruses/trojans etc is that they do not have the same amount of users.

Indeed. Virus writers want to maximise their effect and so they go for the minimum effort for maximum coverage. Right now it's easier to write a virus for Windows and there are many more Windows users out there.

If Linux becomes a lot more popular then I'd expect the number, and sophistication, of viruses written to target it would grow quite quickly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #38 on: 15 April, 2008, 03:27:02 pm »
If Linux becomes a lot more popular then I'd expect the number, and sophistication, of viruses written to target it would grow quite quickly.
I agree with that. But I do think it would be harder to attack the linux "area" (for the lack of a better word) because the way linux has been build up.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #39 on: 18 April, 2008, 02:47:41 pm »
Linux rocks!

I decided today to change my work desktop machine from Gentoo to Kubuntu. Work machines need to be used not played with, IMHO...

Boot from CD, fire up install program, manually select partitions (saving the old /home partition from formatting) and install.

30 minutes later up comes the new OS. Set up user name with correct user ID, check networking and proxy settings to be correct and update any recent updates with a click (10 minutes).

Log in as user and hey presto, desktop back up exactly as it was before and ready to use, preserving all links, documents, preferences, bookmarks and files.

The same process to reinstall my daughter's XP system when it died of virus overload a month ago took 4 hours and endless reboots!

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #40 on: 20 April, 2008, 02:40:15 pm »
Now that I have xp* running in a VM on my Linux box I have no need to boot into windows :thumbsup:

*we have an app that we need to run for our business that is windoze-only.
Pen Pusher

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #41 on: 20 April, 2008, 02:43:03 pm »
I'm using VirtualBox to run XP atm so that I can watch the Amstel Gold Race on cycling.tv :)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:14:09 pm »
I'm using VirtualBox to run XP atm

Can you share folders between xp and Linux? One of the reasons for needing to run xp is so I can get my scanner to work. I will therefore need to save the file somewhere so that I can open it with The Gimp. For some reason I haven't got the shared folders bit to work yet :-\
Pen Pusher

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:18:01 pm »
Yes I managed to do so with VirtualBox ones second time around I failed, not sure what I'm doing wrong though. But if you install the "Guest Additions" will be able to to share folders between Ubuntu and XP in the VirtualBox.

border-rider

« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:18:16 pm »

Can you share folders between xp and Linux?

Linux can read/write to Win directories.  I've never got Win to see a Linux directory.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:32:10 pm »
That explains the trouble I had making a Linux-formatted stick visible :)

I'm having Ubuntu envy here.  But my XPSP2 works just fine and If It Ain't Broke is a total mantra...

I obviously need another computer!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:33:35 pm »
That explains the trouble I had making a Linux-formatted stick visible :)

Oh, a Linux-fomatted stick should be OK...usually ;)

« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:34:46 pm »
Linux uses several partition types but the most common is ext2 and the journalling extension for it ext3. Whilst Windows cannot read this type of partition by default (simply because Microsoft don't provide drivers for anything other than Fat Fat32 and NTFS) you can install Ext2 drivers and mount your Linux partitions as "drive E" or whatever is your first free drive letter. Get drivers here
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:28:56 pm »

Can you share folders between xp and Linux?

Linux can read/write to Win directories.  I've never got Win to see a Linux directory.

You can if you use the util that pcolbeck mentioned ^ :).

My Q was in reference to sharing directories between the host and guest OSs. I've figured it out anyway by reading the manual :o (it's actually very easy).
Pen Pusher

bobajobrob

« Reply #49 on: 22 April, 2008, 09:32:55 am »
My Q was in reference to sharing directories between the host and guest OSs. I've figured it out anyway by reading the manual :o (it's actually very easy).

Do tell. I use samba for that, is there an easier way?