Author Topic: Your fatbike  (Read 80657 times)

Re: Your fatbike
« Reply #25 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:17:52 pm »
NEXT AUTUMN :o

Did they only make five of each size? Think they've dropped a clanger

Nothing else take your fancy?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2014, 11:54:09 pm »
Nothing I can afford, plus I really love my LBS.

Shop can get Salsa or Surly, but are Mulkluk 3s really going to be £1900? If they were nearer the £1300, I could be tempted.

« Reply #27 on: 21 October, 2014, 08:20:02 am »
Last years mukluk3 are £1000 mukluk2 £1500 if they'll price match
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #28 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:51:04 am »

In the beginning, there was the Pugsley

(not this exact bike, but you know what I mean ...)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #29 on: 21 October, 2014, 09:54:43 am »
Nothing I can afford, plus I really love my LBS.

Shop can get Salsa or Surly, but are Mulkluk 3s really going to be £1900? If they were nearer the £1300, I could be tempted.
Surly completes are generally overpriced. Salsa tend to head into 'WTF?!' territory.

I built my El Mariachi fixed up for less than the cost of the SS complete build, and with better kit. Ditto for the Pugsley.

« Reply #30 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:24:19 am »
Am tempted by the Genesis Caribou. It's a question of 2014 vs 2015, hydraulic versus cable, 32 x 36 v 30 x 36. etc. Any thoughts? White vs Orange, if that's important :)

Would have to be unfaithful to my LBS.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #31 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:33:44 am »
Hydraulic discs were the best upgrade I did to the Pugsley - nothing flash, Deore M595s, but with 180mm rotors they're evil stoppers.

The hardcore winter racers use cable discs run dry for obvious reasons, but in typical UK conditions there's no reason not to fit hydraulics, IMO.

I wasn't impressed with the Caribou, to be honest, but then again I think Genesis have lost the plot recently (doesn't stop my Croix de Fer being awesome, though). If you want a more 'race' oriented fat-bike then the On-One Fatty is worth a look - as an expedition bike it's worse than useless though (again, IMO)

If you can handle disloyalty to the LBS, you might want to see what sort of deals Sir Charlie Of Bikemonger might be offering on Mukluks et.al - I believe he's getting a new shipment from QBP in November so he might be keen to shift old stock.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #32 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:34:42 am »
Of course, if you happen to be near York and want to test drive an 18" singlespeed Pugsley then the offer is there - it's not like I'll be riding it for the forseeable future.

« Reply #33 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:51:05 am »
I like the 2014 white caribou. Couldn't get one in my size.

The new caribou is 1x10 too, no good for really steep stuff, lugging kit around. Of course you could add an expander to the cassette.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #34 on: 21 October, 2014, 10:57:04 am »
*cough*Beargrease*cough*

;D

« Reply #35 on: 21 October, 2014, 11:01:33 am »

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #36 on: 21 October, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »
(click to show/hide)

<fx: exits, whistling innocently ...>

Whilst not strictly full-fat, I reckon there's room in my life for a fixed-gear ECR

« Reply #37 on: 21 October, 2014, 02:45:01 pm »
Oh! I! Say!  That Yampa is rather fabulous  ;D

You know it's a serious fatbike when the bloke riding it in the first promo pic on the website is carrying a rifle in his backpack!  :o

(click to show/hide)

Whilst not strictly full-fat, I reckon there's room in my life for a fixed-gear ECR
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #38 on: 21 October, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »
Alaskan wildlife is Serious Business.

« Reply #39 on: 25 October, 2014, 07:17:04 am »
Could any of you lot on the UK fat bike forum give the admin a nudge re activating DrMekon?

« Reply #40 on: 03 November, 2014, 10:19:29 pm »
Just bought fatbike no.2 :facepalm:

Not what I was after at all but I was offered it today so snapped it up. It's a 9:Zero:7, it'll be a nice plaything :thumbsup:

I'll post a pic once I've tinkered

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #41 on: 03 November, 2014, 10:56:52 pm »
I've been lusting after the Salsa Blackborow DS, even if I could fake it by dinglespeeding Pugsley.

Won't happen anytime soon though, since most of my 'spare' money (hah!) is going towards funding next year's little excursion along the Continental Divide.

« Reply #42 on: 03 November, 2014, 11:14:27 pm »
The blackborow looks fantastic, it'd be a BIG chunk of your tour money. They'll still be for sale when you return........and save up for a wee while ;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #43 on: 04 November, 2014, 10:25:12 am »

You know it's a serious fatbike when the bloke riding it in the first promo pic on the website is carrying a rifle in his backpack!  :o

(click to show/hide)

I want a fatbike, now, just so I can have some tyres called "Husker Du"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #44 on: 04 November, 2014, 10:32:43 am »

Not what I was after at all but I was offered it today so snapped it up. It's a 9:Zero:7, it'll be a nice plaything :thumbsup:

We need pics!  ..... waits patiently.....

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #45 on: 04 November, 2014, 10:42:38 am »
I am, seriously, considering one of On-One's Baby Fatties, for TLD.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #46 on: 04 November, 2014, 12:44:21 pm »

(click to show/hide)

I want a fatbike, now, just so I can have some tyres called "Husker Du"
If you can pick it up, you're more than welcome to borrow Pugsley for a while. You'll have to make do with tyres called Larry, though.

« Reply #47 on: 04 November, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »
LBS has helpfully (like crack dealers) offered a Mondraker Panzer for December delivery. Speaking to my wife tonight. Wish me luck. Suspect one of my 8 bikes in the shed will need to go.

« Reply #48 on: 04 November, 2014, 04:32:11 pm »

We need pics!  ..... waits patiently.....

Still tinkering. Been out for some more bits today, it's progressing :thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK DRMEKON ;D

« Reply #49 on: 07 November, 2014, 11:15:48 am »