Author Topic: Tow Bar Bike Rack for 4 Bikes incl 1 FATBOY ?  (Read 10185 times)

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
Tow Bar Bike Rack for 4 Bikes incl 1 FATBOY ?
« on: 06 November, 2015, 08:46:35 am »
Any suggestions / experience ?      Most Tow Bar Bike Racks only cope with Road Bikes.   I already have a Non Tow Bar Rack for my two bikes which copes with All bikes, but when I go away I want to take my Fat Boy and 3 other MTBs.

Re: Tow Bar Bike Rack for 4 Bikes incl 1 FATBOY ?
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:55:14 am »
Perennial favourite is the Thule versions. Not sure they're any better or worse than others at dealing with MTB's. Fat tyres may be an issue.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:58:33 am »
I'd ask over at UK Fat Bikes. For my roof top carrier I attached some cut off guttering for the wheels to sit in and cut some slits for luggage straps to secure the wheels

« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:49:30 am »
I'm looking for a tow bar rack for four, myself. Even without the complication of fat bike tyres, wheel support racks seem a bit tricky and I'm beginning to think I might have to consider hanging the bikes from their top tubes. :-/

If that's an acceptable compromise, Maxxraxx products look pretty good.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2015, 02:20:33 pm »
Perennial favourite is the Thule versions. Not sure they're any better or worse than others at dealing with MTB's. Fat tyres may be an issue.

The channels on mine are pretty wide, I reckon they would deal with fat bike tyres, handled 2" 29er tyres, no problem, with plenty to spare.

Let me know if you want me to measure them.

I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #5 on: 10 November, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »
Another satisfied Thule customer.  You should be able to get just about anything on a Thule rack.  They even do one where you can increase/decrease the number of bike slots.

They aren't cheap though...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:29:30 pm »
I have a Thule towbar rack (bikes stand on the wheels) - great BUT I had to replace the arms that clamp to the bike frames as they were way too short ... no big deal, just a length of M8 studding from B&Q and refitted the Thule clamps with a bit of tubing on each one as a spacer. 

The troughs that the wheels sit in are quite wide so fat tyres should be OK ... bear in mind that they are strapped through the wheel to the trough so you can get some tension.

Rob

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:03:27 pm »
We've got a Pendle hang-on one. Had it for years, across two cars.

Obviously you can hang anything roughly approximating to a diamond frame on that. Tyre width is irrelevant. I've carried various bikes and my trike (not at the same time) on it. The only problem I've had is with my 1999/2000 FSR Comp, which, as above, does not have a diamond frame, so is hard to locate on the rack arms. Don't suppose it would carry my folder, either ;D