Author Topic: Star Trek: Into Darkness  (Read 2781 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: Star Trek: Into Darkness
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:06:49 pm »
Well we are at cross purposes then as I was not thinking in terms of Fu Manchu more in terms of geographical origins.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2013, 01:15:27 pm »
There's bound to be some confusion with Genghis Khan, but he was the subject of the 1979 West German Eurovision entry, rather than the subject of a Star Trek Film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeXG9-wyzw0

essexian

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:05:34 pm »
Just back from seeing it.... my first ever experience of 3D projection.... and with a bit of luck, my last. Blimey that was hard work to watch. To me, certain scenes were just there to make the Director look good and, as said over page, those bleeping lens effects are so distracting!

Talking about the Director, here is an idea, instead of spending money on special effects, all of which we have seen before, how about buying a story line?! I know recycling is important, but most of the film had been done before.

Got a headache and am rather disappointed overall.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2013, 05:21:29 pm »
I don't mind lens flares, I've pretty much gone ahead and incorporated them into my everyday life. I did the same with incidental music a while back. Trips to Waitrose have never been the same since.

That sounds like a modern 'reboot' of an old idea:

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Film_20Noir_20Home
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #29 on: 14 May, 2013, 03:14:25 pm »
Just been to see it.  It does rather smash you over the head with the Star Trek quoter's bible, and then some.

As Star Trek it's OK.  High art it ain't, but you don't go to a Trek movie for high art.

Abrams needs to put the flare on a leash, or at least let his DOP buy some blackwrap. That said it was actually less annoying in this one than the last, I thought. 

(click to show/hide)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 14 May, 2013, 06:28:46 pm »
Pakistan and Kashmir seem quite oriental to me :\

Oriental meaning east.  If Arabian areas count as middle-east where are Pakistan and India if not in the Orient?

In fact, Khan as in Ricardo Montalban looked not unlike Imran Khan if I think about it  8)
In India, and presumably also in Pakistan, what we call the Middle East is referred to as West Asia. I don't think Star Trek is particularly popular there.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LindaG

« Reply #31 on: 15 May, 2013, 12:03:02 am »
Yeah Cumberbatch is lovely.  A lovely lovely British villain with dark floppy hair.  Yum.

You need to watch those public school boys y'know.

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #32 on: 15 May, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
Yeah Cumberbatch is lovely.  A lovely lovely British villain with dark floppy hair.  Yum.

His family has Sci-Fi previous, his Mother was in Space 1999.

« Reply #33 on: 15 May, 2013, 11:34:20 am »
Sorry, it was UFO.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #34 on: 17 May, 2013, 07:28:08 am »
Well I liked it. The shots were a bit too fast to be pulled off in HD. Found it difficult to keep track of some scenes.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium