Author Topic: A visit to DTEK  (Read 6231 times)

A visit to DTEK
« on: 04 June, 2010, 09:06:35 pm »
I rode over to DTEK today for a tryout session, as suggested by Kevin as a way of getting some understanding of what recumbents are about. I'd previously enjoyed a few miles on Tom_e's ICE B2. Below are my brief impressions from short rides (all less than 4km), and I don't know what I am taling about, so feel free point out where I am wrong.

Rather than sticking to SWBs, Kevin started me on a BikeE.

It looks like a little old ladies bike, but despite that, it was a hoot to ride. I think anyone could ride one of these and have fun. You don't go very fast, but the view was nice. Next was a FWD bike. I forget what it was, but it dispelled the notion I had that FWD would be weird in corners. I didn't get a pic.

Next up was something callled a ... erm... Bevo, maybe? Kevin described it as a medium wheelbase bike, and it had elastomeric suspension at the back. I forget what it was like.

Next up was the Bacchetta Bellandaire, as made famous by RichForrests exploits on the End of Hibernation, IIRC. It was brilliant. I understand LWB aren't very fashionable, but it felt light, quick and comfortable compared to what went before, and was an absolute doddle to ride. I really liked it.

Next up was a Giro20. It was a good fit for me, and it few. I got Kevin to drop the seat back, and it felt quick. Very easy to ride, and the discs were excellent. I'd be happy on this bike.

Next up was a Strada. This was too small for me, but I liked the Euromesh more than the Recurve seat, and I loved the light weight, but missed the discs.. It made me pretty sure that the Giro 26 ATT would be perfect for me.

That was it for two wheelers; on to trikes First up was the Thorax, which is apparently the old german Crystal Engineering importers take on the Ross Trikes

It felt a bit agricultural, but was alright. Comfy enough.

Next up was a Catrike Speed. It flew along, but the steering was very hectic. The steering felt almost digital, but because it was so low, you never felt like it would flip - it would just understeer. Great fun for messing around, but I don't think I'd want to do very long miles on it because of the steering.

Next was a Windcheeter Club Sport. John, another customer, had tried it and loved it. I hated it. The steering was utterly unintuitive to me, I found it hard to stay in the seat, and the seat was uncomfortable, it showed up road camber more than any of the others, and the brakes were inadequate. I was happy to get off it. Too scary for me.

Next was the ICE sprint. It was immense. Handling was utterly confidence inspiring - two wheel cornering was fun rather than scary. The seat was super-comfy, the brakes immense, and the finish was wonderful. If my missus hadn't banned me from anything lower than a SWB, I'd jump at one. It felt utterly sorted.

Last up was a HPV Scorpion (behind the ICE in the pic above). This had rear suspension, and was heavier than the ICE, but it also felt great, and also had very confidence inspiring handling. Really Nice bike

At the end of it all, the conclusion I came to is that I need to spend some decent tme on some of the quicker high racers, particularly the Giro 26 ATT and the ICE B2 with the OC bars. Kevin mentioned that ICE are updating their bike range, and his next shipment will be the revised ones, so I am going to go back when they are in.

He was very generous with his time, and it was a brilliant day out.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: A visit to DTEK
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:56:40 pm »
*jealous*

I've had the wonderful Kevin treatment, too, and, though I didn't buy anything, I know where I want to go when I do want a recumbent.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
DrMekon,

thanks for directing me to the forum, and for posting up the pics, despite Kevin's advice I forgot to bring a camera. I too had a great day, and as a complete recumbent virgin I learned a lot.

Since my experience of riding prior to today was nil, I had a slightly different take on a couple of the machines. Yes, I did enjoy the Windcheeta, but only in a sort of terrified, verging on hysteria, bungee jumping kind of way. I was thoroughly impressed with it as a piece of design and personally thought it quite beautiful, but the quirky joy stick steering left me feeling slightly out of control and afraid that if I sneezed I would crash.

According to my notes the front-wheel drive was the Bevo.

I also enjoyed the LWB Barchett Bellandare a and the SWB Giro 20, but I found steering the Strada an act of will: no doubt something which practice would remedy, but it just felt all wrong. On the other hand, I almost fell of the BikeE 'old ladies bike'.

The trikes I also enjoyed immensely and I agree that the Scorpion and ICE Sprint were the best of the bunch. I too think the Catrike steering would be hard work over any distance. The Thorax Sinus (yes, really) was certainly more pedestrian but stable and comfortable.

I did also get to ride an old Linear with USS which I thought was great fun and far easier to handle than I expected.

Kevin was very helpful, not least in his advice to shop around. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a visit - I had a six hour round trip to see him today but consider it time well spent.

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:54:05 pm »
That sounds like great fun.

Welcome to the forum Middleagedspread :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »
Luke: Master Yoda, is the Dark Side stronger?
Yoda: No.  Quicker, easier.  More seductive...

Heh.  The great thing about recumbents is that there's room for everyone.  Personally, I found the Windcheetah steering more intuitive than the Trice handlebar system - but there are no rules, so both are available.  The more the merrier!

L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »
Next was the ICE sprint. It was immense. Handling was utterly confidence inspiring - two wheel cornering was fun rather than scary. The seat was super-comfy, the brakes immense, and the finish was wonderful. If my missus hadn't banned me from anything lower than a SWB, I'd jump at one. It felt utterly sorted.

The unexpected thing about recumbent trikes is that you get much more space from motorists than you do on a two wheeler. Height doesn't seem to come into it: I have a LWB 2-wheel bent and although I get a bit more space from motorists, on my trikes even white vans cross to the other side of the white line to pass.  Plus you can climb the steepest hills without wobbling.  Downside is, of course, that you've got three tracks to think about instead of one (though missing potholes becomes instinctive) and you go a slightly slower - though that means you get more time to enjoy the fun!

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2010, 12:20:53 am »
Hi Miiddleagedspread - good to meet you today. Did you make any decisions today? FWIW, I came across this VeloVision article today which has a section on trikes versus bikes

http://www.velovision.nl/uploads/vv22Recumbents.pdf

@sigurd, I can believe that, but it won't matter to my better half.

@redshift, definitely. Today convinced me that OC bars are best for me, but I know some people find that they get in the way.

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2010, 12:22:28 am »
Kevin's great.  I've had a good time riding those bikes.

I'm toying with flogging the windcheetah.  DrMekon, you interested in it?

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:47:00 am »
Did you make any decisions today?

Yes, its definitely going to be a trike. Or a LWB highracer. Or perhaps that SWB Giro 20. Er...

Well its definitely going to be some type of recumbent.

Thanks for the article, it pretty much confirmed what I learned today: Bikes are faster, the view around traffic is easier, but they are harder to balance. Trikes are really really low, great fun, but the commute will be harder work because of the weight.

I think I will go for a trike. Possibly something a little higher than the Sprint or the Scorprion. I guess the ICE T or the Adventure. But I'm going to try and see a few more bikes.

Thanks for all the tips, it was really useful to get the perspective of someone with more knowledge of contemporary cycling (that makes me sound old), its amazing how much bike technology has changed since I used to commute regularly in the early 90s.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »
The FWD was definitely  Bevo Bike and, with the under seat luggage etc, I think it might be my old one. Excellent bike and very easy to ride. I would love it back again but no money!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:36:09 pm »
And I think that Strada was lovingly looked after by my mate here in MK  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2010, 12:49:38 pm »
Luke: Master Yoda, is the Dark Side stronger?
Yoda: No.  Quicker, easier.  More seductive...

Yoda baby, your wrong, not always quicker, not always easier, but sure as hell more seductive and stronger, by the day.
        Go for the ICE trike, yes I am biased, Barbara (my wife) has a Catrike Road, she loves it but I, having ridden both, am convinced the ICE Q-NT is a much better trike in construction - design and handling.
        The Road down a 60kph run down to the Barrage de Rance was trying to skip about, the Q-NT was rock solid (in a good way).
        Welcome to The Dark Side, enjoy the smile

PS re comment

Next up was a Catrike Speed. It flew along, but the steering was very hectic. The steering felt almost digital, but because it was so low, you never felt like it would flip - it would just understeer. Great fun for messing around, but I don't think I'd want to do very long miles on it because of the steering.

Barbara manage to roll her (previous trike) Catrike Pocket, beautiful barrel roll landing neatly in a crumpled heap with a resounding crump at the feet of some pedestrians

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:42:12 pm »

The unexpected thing about recumbent trikes is that you get much more space from motorists than you do on a two wheeler. Height doesn't seem to come into it: I have a LWB 2-wheel bent and although I get a bit more space from motorists, on my trikes even white vans cross to the other side of the white line to pass.  Plus you can climb the steepest hills without wobbling.  Downside is, of course, that you've got three tracks to think about instead of one (though missing potholes becomes instinctive) and you go a slightly slower - though that means you get more time to enjoy the fun!

I'd have to agree with SM, you definitely get better noticed by motorists when you're on a trike.
I've never had problems with being seen on the Bacchetta Giro 20 but the Trice is more stable and doesn't need wobble room. With potholes I try to put the front wheels either side and let the suspension, and Big Apple, take up the bump when the rear wheel drops in the hole.
Kevin has another very nice Giro 20 now. I wasn't using mine so I swopped it for a PDQ, tyres and cash. He did me a very good deal.
Never knowingly under caffeinated