Author Topic: A Question for the Masses  (Read 1767 times)

A Question for the Masses
« on: 29 February, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »
Bear with me please but I thought I'd ask the assembled experience of the 'Dark Side' for advice or just general info.

I've had a Kingcycle for the last 18 months or so but unfortunately the chap that sold it to me neglected to let me know that the fork and steerer assembly had basically fused together, so despite all my best efforts I've been unable to put the bike back together and its bugging me no end.  So I think I'll have to take the plunge and drive over to D-Tek and see if Kevin can help.... but that's now becoming a longer term project.

Anyway that was the intro as I've been itching to get into some 'bent riding and am toying the idea of buying new to satisfy my need to ride.  Been looking at the M5 Racer and the Catbike Musashi (I know the latter is no longer in production).

So a very general question, any thoughts on all of the above, any M5/Musashi riders out there care to give advice.

Thanks in anticipation  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: A Question for the Masses
« Reply #1 on: 29 February, 2012, 08:11:52 pm »
The steerer is part of the fork, isn't it?  Is the stem seized in the fork?  Do you have a photo?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »
It's difficult to advise. Everyone is different and there is such variety in 'bents that you can indulge your preferences. Although the first bent I bought was a low racer I quickly switched to high racers - they seemed more familiar and easier to ride. However as I gained experience and miles eventually settled for a semi low racer with hamster bars (Nazca Fuego) and for touring an dual 26" wheel bent with aerosteering ('tweener' bars in Bacchetta language).

I suppose as others will say, ride a few - you may surprise yourself. Kevin at D'Tek is your man.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #3 on: 29 February, 2012, 09:50:29 pm »
Rather jealous, tbh. Just getting started is where the exponential joys are found. You have a bright and sunny future ahead.

Andy.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4 on: 29 February, 2012, 11:02:17 pm »
If you're aiming at the sporty side of things maybe have a look at Optima?
A few years, and a lot of weight!, ago I had an Optima Baron with Hamster bars and a silly size chainring that even DIKTATOR LARRINGTON would've had trouble turning! Fairing and tail fairing/stowage box, made it a swift piece of ride and it felt to be good quality of manufacture.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
DIKTATOR LARRINGTON is a spinny sort.  Admittedly Cosimo The Stealth Baron has a 53, but top gear only ever got used going down the hill at Eastway.  My Kingcycle had a 43 big ring when I sold it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime