Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
The Pub / Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:04:47 am »
How are they 'bricking' the devices?
Literally disabling them with an update?

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

Hmm, I can understand them turning off the server support for cameras (gits).

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.
I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.

I think that may be what I just described!  (Not heard that expression before - crystal clear description!)
The Dark Side / Re: BHPC racing
« Last post by Kim on Today at 11:04:01 am »
Whose was the white and yellow Milan SL in the background?

Tim MacDonald.  (Top tip: You can map race numbers to riders by looking at the timing results.)
LEL 2022 / Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Last post by grams on Today at 11:03:49 am »
There’s a guy on Twitter calling the controls “CP2” and “CP4” and so on like it’s the TCR. I haven’t decided if it’s cute or grounds for a DQ.
« Last post by robgul on Today at 11:03:03 am »

https://www.hivehome.com/product-news   - stuff will work until 1 August 2025 - then it wont.

Turning off a hub in your home so that it won't communicate with other devices in your home; not sure that can be legal.

I don't think it's a case of "turning off your hub" - AIUI all the activity/storage etc for all the Hive stuff is at their end - what they are going to do is "stop the function" in 2025.   The Hive hub is just, if you like, an extension to your own router with its own proprietary wifi that talks to all the Hive devices and relays to Hive HQ.
« Last post by Beardy on Today at 11:02:05 am »

I don’t know Hive specifically, but there’s a probability (these decisions are made by marketeers after all) that the kit has a contact home heartbeat and will refuse to work without connection to the server.
Camping It Up / Re: Helinox chairs: which one to choose
« Last post by Polar Bear on Today at 11:01:38 am »
Interesting.  It has a similar pole system to the Alpkit.

Thanks for the link.
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by T42 on Today at 10:58:13 am »
Ouch! There's nothing to do for broken ribs anyway, apart from not breathing too hard...

I can sneeze without pain so I'm hoping it's a crack at worst.  I've got a lot of physical work to do and I don't want to be off the bike for any longer than, say 4 days. My last ride was 6 days after the previous one and I could really feel the loss of form.

ETA: I'm thinking we should split off a thread from this one for self-inflicted wounds but ICBA to start it.
Ouch! There's nothing to do for broken ribs anyway, apart from not breathing too hard...
LEL 2022 / Re: Online Real Time Tracking
« Last post by trundle on Today at 10:51:50 am »
It is fascinating watching the dots - it really brings it to life.

Your eye is naturally drawn to the leaders and Matt Page is clearly a machine. When I saw his aero bike setup I thought, "There is somebody planning to go bloomin fast!".

But then you zoom out and see the enormous spread across the country and I tip my hat to everybody! It is quite something to pedal distances that most of us would think twice about driving. And I'm sure there will be plenty of zombie moments, thinking, "Why am I doing this?" but I bet they are offset with moments on the road that happen once in your life - and the only way to experience them is to be out on the road for long hours.
Health & Fitness / Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Last post by T42 on Today at 10:48:43 am »
Another one that belongs on the feckulous div thread as well:

A week ago, after clearing a month's growth of nettles, elder etc. from around our fallen barn door and putting the brush-cutter away, MrsT says "what about that?" and points at a sturdy stem standing a statute mile well no, a foot, out of the ground. "Later," sez I, and sure enough around three hours later I caught it with my foot and went flat, wham.  Got up, poked around body, knees a bit scuffed, sore ribs on one side but no jaggy pains. "All ok," sez I.

3-4 days later the sore ribs are still sore, and occasionally something goes click when I take a deep breath. But it's not every time, it's not a sharp pain and it doesn't always click in the same place, so who's worrying?

Did 146 km on Saturday. Had to take paracetamol at 30k but thereafter all was well.

Ribs hurt like hell yesterday.

Seeing GP this afternoon to get a prescription for an X-ray.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10