Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3901184 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #25300 on: 03 July, 2022, 12:04:02 pm »
on the island

Ah. That explains why I couldn’t find the same perspective of the lock on my searches up and down the banks on Google maps (and why I have never seen it when I ride around there).

Very popular on hot days, the police need to get involved from time to time if it gets a bit rowdy. Trundle was lucky to see it empty.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #25301 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:16:16 pm »
Inspired by watching Mythago Border/Bedlam Morris* side at Scouts on Friday,we went out hunting dragons in darkest Sussex. Train down to Pulborough, then down a few lanes to Amberley, followed by the joy of The Gurkha bridge. This is accessible by public footpath, so entailed rampant vegetation, kissing gates and lifting the Pino to head height.
Back on tbe road, into Arundel, stopping for a BEER then a PIE, we made our way to Lyminster.church and its  stained glass window in the church depicting the slaying of the local Knucker dragon ( by feeding it a poisoned pie), then on to find the Knucker hole, where it once lived. Sadly it was all fenced off.
We avoided the Gurkha bridge on the way back, electing to take the flinty path instead. Vack at Pulborough there was time for ice cream vefore the train. 50km of excellent fun.

*Masks, drums, sort of heavy metal Morris dancing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #25302 on: 03 July, 2022, 08:18:41 pm »
Randonnée at Montmorillon today. I was going to do the 66km and get back about midday but they were having a little ceremony for a deceased founder member with the apéros and since that started at 11h30 and it seemed bad manners to arrive late I switched to the 46km after the feeding station, getting in at 11h. A very nice day for it although starting to get a bit warm for me by midday. I took the time to take a few photos, including the château at Bourg Archambaut which is not well known being off the tourist circuits.

Later on, on the short circuit I stopped to take a photo of some crops (for identification purposes) and was surprised by a hare (yes, it surprised me, not the other way round).

« Reply #25303 on: 03 July, 2022, 10:28:01 pm »
Very pleasant group ride to St. Ives. (Hunts)  :thumbsup: Left knee now giving me some grief so cleat adjustment is the order of the day. The town centre was noticeably quieter than is normal at this time of year, suggesting day tripper/visitor numbers are down.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25304 on: 04 July, 2022, 07:19:00 am »
Randonnée at Montmorillon today...

Nice. Must get down that way some time, maybe with visit to son in Azay-le-Ferron as an excuse.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #25305 on: 04 July, 2022, 05:48:31 pm »
For the first time since January 2020, I went for a ride, as opposed to commuting. Only 15 km over lunchtime, but a lot better than nothing.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #25306 on: 04 July, 2022, 06:37:07 pm »
Not exactly today - but 10 days of great cycling in the Loire Atlantique area of France - 10 of us, great fun with lots of wine and beer.

« Reply #25307 on: 04 July, 2022, 11:45:54 pm »
Randonnée at Montmorillon today...

Nice. Must get down that way some time, maybe with visit to son in Azay-le-Ferron as an excuse.

The Montmorillonais is much more interesting than the countryside around Poitiers (unless you're into large flat fields of arable).Don't go further north or west than Chauvigny - Lussac les Châteaux, south and east is all nice cycling country with interesting scenery.
The Cyclos Randonneurs du Val de Gartempe (who organised sunday) have a permanent randonnée, Au Fil de la Gartempe, which is a very nice circuit, flat to the west and getting more physical to the east going into the Creuse.

« Reply #25308 on: 07 July, 2022, 05:12:21 pm »
The usual blat around the island wot that Pompey is on. Though it felt more like a blyat! around the island, chiz.

Still, that which doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, or was it stranger? :P
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25309 on: 07 July, 2022, 10:06:18 pm »
A ride to the beach, a swim, and a ride home Very pleasant, but I needed to wear a fleece on the way back.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25310 on: 08 July, 2022, 07:56:50 am »
On Wednesday, 239 km loop from home via the Col de l'Engin and the Col du Donon by the easier Moselle side. On the eBrute, natch, I haven't done this route under my own steam since 2014, but I reckon I supplied 2/3 of the Wh myself.  Rather disappointed at the top, they'd let the roadside conifers grow up and the formerly superb view was blocked. Here's a pic from 2011:

A few more pics, from Wednesday, on here: https://pbase.com/johnewing/col_du_donon

1771 metres climbed, 3 cake stops, one lunch stop, 11 hours riding & damn near 4 eating, messing about, etc.  Great fun, to be repeated.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #25311 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:30:52 pm »
A quick post work 40km, to allow me back in time for the late edition of le tour highlights.  About 5km in, my right shoe felt odd, very loose.  REtightened, and about 5 mins later, retightened again etc, until I eventually gave up.  I stoped to do a blood test and realised why my foot was floppy, the cord on the Boa system had snapped and I was just winding in the slack.  Luckily I carry a length of  gaffer tape wrapped round an old hydration tab tube.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #25312 on: 08 July, 2022, 08:52:03 pm »
A quick post work 40km, to allow me back in time for the late edition of le tour highlights.  About 5km in, my right shoe felt odd, very loose.  REtightened, and about 5 mins later, retightened again etc, until I eventually gave up.  I stoped to do a blood test and realised why my foot was floppy, the cord on the Boa system had snapped and I was just winding in the slack.  Luckily I carry a length of  gaffer tape wrapped round an old hydration tab tube.

Boa will send you a replacement lace kit for free under guarantee.  You just need to claim against it in their website. Mine arrived within the week.

ElyDave

« Reply #25313 on: 08 July, 2022, 09:12:55 pm »
done  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #25314 on: 08 July, 2022, 09:48:30 pm »
A ride out to see my Very Good Pal Penelope, for whom I changed a tap washer. The most difficult part of the job was getting down on my hands and knees to find the stopcock in her larder.

Thence I went to the beach, only a short distance away, and had a lovely swim before sitting around waiting for my Very Good Pal Sherry to join me. Her pal Cass joined us as well. I wrote this of my second swim (on Farcebook):

That was one of the warmest sea swims I have ever had. Absolutely delicious - and I know I use that word to frequently to describe my swims, but it's the best I can think of. It was pretty calm so when we were treading water we could feel the temperature of the water around our feet was several degrees lower than the surface temperature. For a while the three of us were floating on our backs, legs and arms out, watching the swifts wheeling around the sky picking off the flying ants that were hatching. It was like lying on a down mattress with rumpled silk sheets all round us. Just so privileged to have this just down the road from where we live.
Air temperature today at 9.25pm: 24°C.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #25315 on: 09 July, 2022, 09:04:18 pm »
First ride since getting Covid last weekend. 

24km or so down to Leith for an al fresco pint at the Campervan Brewery tap beer garden (a glorified car park but wtf it was great), after discovering that my Plan A venue (the wonderful Dreadnought) didnt open til 2pm.  In actual fact I arrived there after 2pm but they do kind of operate on an ad hoc basis in many respects

Bit wiped out afterwards and had a sleep before dinner.  Cant see me skipping out the door to ride 200km+ anytime soon. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/95954590

ElyDave

« Reply #25316 on: 09 July, 2022, 09:46:48 pm »
Sounds very similar to No1 daughters experience, lingering fatigue

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25317 on: 10 July, 2022, 04:45:46 pm »
57k coffee/cookie ride, very relaxed. Lovely weather again, sunny with a bit of cloud and a breeze, though only 18° so chilly at times. Bum still hurting from the battering it got on the downhill last Wed, internal bruising maybe, nothing dire.

« Reply #25318 on: 10 July, 2022, 07:34:16 pm »
No, too hot for me. Did a walk instead.

« Reply #25319 on: 10 July, 2022, 07:45:27 pm »
Weekend cycling is taking a back seat to marathon training at the moment. 20k run was on the calendar for today so went out just after 6am to avoid the heat later in the day.

« Reply #25320 on: 10 July, 2022, 08:02:17 pm »
A potter to moss end garden Village  with bjorn and a trice rider called Andrew both notp. We used a few bridleways and managed a 8.1 mph ave speed while riding. A very enjoyable 30 miles for me today 😀.
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #25321 on: 10 July, 2022, 09:44:41 pm »
Back to Middle Earth from the Forest of Dean, with a full touring load, suspension shenanigans and suboptimal amounts of sun.

It was pleasant enough as far as Worcester, but the last 30km or so were Type 2 Fun, as I overheated on the climbs.  And that's having anticipated the problem, filled my 4 litre water bag to capacity, so I could stop ever 5km or so to soak my hair and clothing.  Been feeling nonspecifically peculiar since I got home.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #25322 on: 15 July, 2022, 05:29:30 pm »
123k patisserie pilgrimage, pleasant weather, bit of a breeze. A bit tired before starting but felt better as I went and kept adding extra bits until I was 60k from home and obliged to do the rest against the wind.  Fun.  Pic from centre of Saverne where I ate a so-so hamburger in the company of many wasps & green-arsed flies.

ElyDave

« Reply #25323 on: 17 July, 2022, 01:10:05 pm »
Finished tweaking the Faran this morning (mechanically), so took it out for a christening.  Stopped s couple of times for the usual new-build fiddling with bars, stem, saddle etc and built a mental list as I rode.

65km in all, including part of one of my regular routes that if I'm on the Airnimal (26" x 28mm gatorskins) or Cruzbike (700c x 28mm GP4-seasons) has me moving from one side of the single lane road to the other to acoid having my spine rattled.  On the Faran with the 650b x 40mm at 40-45 psi, and a suspension seatpost it was like a magic carpet ride.  I wasn't deliberately aiming for potholes just to test the setup, but I was certainly not needing to pick my way around.

Some things to tweak on the cockpit set up, the saddle needs to move back a bit and set flat. I also need to take a bit of wet and dry or an emery board to the moulding line (Cambium C17) as there's a bit of an edge. Drive train purring like a kitten, brakes bedding in.  I kept thinking "what's that noise" then realised it was the hum of the tyres which worked perfectly, and I difinitely did not feel that they were slower than my normal tyres becasue I was not continuously fighting against the road surface.

Anyway, here it is

« Reply #25324 on: 17 July, 2022, 02:08:04 pm »
An uncharacteristically early ride for me, up on the downs from Stanmer to just beyond Devil's Dyke, where I turned left and headed down to Shoreham. Quite a lot of us watched the lock fill, then I went and had a little sit on the beach and a bite to eat. Then along the seafront, up Elm Grove, and onto the (now much hotter) downs behind Woodingdean. 54km in about 4 hours and two water bottle fills. Also two new Veloviewer tiles.