Author Topic: Bill's Easton Connection  (Read 2225 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Bill's Easton Connection
« on: 13 February, 2022, 04:57:11 pm »
Having got round Wells, Mells, and Broader yesterday, have decided the climbing legs are good enough to have a go at this, 5000m ascent over 300km in Hardboiled territory.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Re: Bill's Easton Connection
« Reply #1 on: 13 February, 2022, 05:01:33 pm »
I toyed with it, but it's too early in year for me. Have fun  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2022, 01:18:58 pm »
I'm goonna give it a bash too. It's going to be a TCRNo8 day with that kind of ascent and distance so a good guide to how the progress in training is going. I might take the hills a little easier and make up the steaddy ascents on the flat. Hopefully no headwind as that was brutal Saturday heading South. Nice tailwind back though :-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2022, 10:07:47 pm »
I doubt I'll see anyone after the first hill - but I've entered.

My train home is about 26hours after the start, so I'm optimistic of making that  :thumbsup:

(it will be my hilliest 300 by a massive margin. And easily the hilliest ride I've done in March.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2022, 10:16:15 am »
Following my immense success in my inaugural audax in January, I’ve decided the logical next step from a flat Essex 100k is a hilly western 300k. 

I still have no carradice, no beard and a <1yr old bike, so will stick out like a sore thumb. 

This weekend I plan to take my bike to visit one of these “hills” that people talk about, and teach it how to go up them.  How hard can it be?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2022, 03:17:12 pm »
Following my immense success in my inaugural audax in January, I’ve decided the logical next step from a flat Essex 100k is a hilly western 300k. 

I still have no carradice,

probably a good thing, no weight of bag, no packing lots of potentially useful ballast on a very hilly event.

I(un)fortunately I can't enter this as I am entered on the dean on the same day.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2022, 09:51:48 pm »
I've never had a beard when cycling, except what meagre growth I manage during a multi-day event.  I do have a Carradice, but it won't be on show on this ride.  As for the hills.  Ignorance is bliss.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:44:47 pm »
it's a good route

unfortunately it clashes with something I had already arranged

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 28 February, 2022, 06:23:24 pm »
unfortunately it clashes with something I had already arranged
Funny that ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2022, 09:04:37 am »
Who's making a weekend of it and doing the LVIS Butt (Ball) Buster cake fest on the Sunday too?

I will be after waiting for that last rider to return, funnel dal down their throat and clean up...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 06 March, 2022, 04:07:28 pm »
Who's making a weekend of it and doing the LVIS Butt (Ball) Buster cake fest on the Sunday too?
Not me.

May I mention a slightly more relevant matter? Only 5 sunrises to go - have I missed a routesheet (or GPX) email/announcement? :-/

(It takes me a day to fire up my printer!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 06 March, 2022, 05:08:29 pm »
Oh Happy Days, what a fortuitous conjunction!
Email received, hoorah! Top work Will.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #12 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:44:48 am »
No probs Matt. No one has emailed me creaming yet so I guess it all works.

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2022, 06:45:47 am »
Is there a conclusion on whether the diversion is necessary around the roadworks in stoke st Michael?

I don’t want to jinx the weather, but it’s looking quite helpful, with a moderate headwind outbound turning into a stinking tailwind home.

« Reply #14 on: 10 March, 2022, 04:31:50 pm »
Is there a conclusion on whether the diversion is necessary around the roadworks in stoke st Michael?

I don’t want to jinx the weather, but it’s looking quite helpful, with a moderate headwind outbound turning into a stinking tailwind home.

I'm awaiting to hear back from the contractors. If I don't by the end of today I'll update files to include diversion (+400m distance) as Somerset CC said full closures will happen and may happen at weekend depending on progress; so better safe than sorry as it'd be a big route around if you all descended to Stoke St Michael where it begins.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 11 March, 2022, 07:43:31 pm »
I'm totally baffled here. Where is Stoke st Michael?
What's the first affected instruction on route sheet?
(It will be a fight to get the new route onto my GPS where I am. And I can't research all possible areas on a tiny screen :-( )
Any chance of corrected route sheet page printout in the morn Will??
(Like the old days!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #16 on: 13 March, 2022, 10:43:31 am »
That was a proper ride.  Relentless hills, headwinds all the way to Portland and then a stonking crosswind over the monster Dorset Hill through Maiden Newton and Cerne Abbas and a couple of hours of rain at the end. 

I just about kept my promise to keep it steady to Portland so that I still had some matches to burn on the way back.  I didn't stop at the village stores in Charlton Horethorne but found a petrol station in Bishop's Caundle that sold me a nice coffee and a flapjack.  Roads were wet and muddy from overnight rain, but the scenery was fantastic.  The winds started to pick up for the descent into Dorchester, but the Rodwell Trail was a brilliant way through Weymouth.  Verne Hill Road was precipitous.  The cafe in Portland only had outside service from a hatch, there was a queue and I didn't fancy getting cold in a wind where anything not nailed down was going to blow away, so rode inland and found a Codfather chippy in Weston, which was more sheltered.

I'd forgotten how hilly the coast road to Burton Bradstock is.  I knew about Abbotsbury, its one of those hills that etches itself into the psyche, but the other lumps were harder than I expected.  Its probably because I've done them (a) fresher and (b) in warmer weather. 

Then the route headed inland - into darkest Wessex Territory, with the massive climb of Spyway to join the hardest bit of the Hard Boiled route at Maiden Newton.  The crosswinds were fierce, keen to put me in the ditch, the 40mph descents required more concentration than usual.  Arrived at the cafe in Cerne Abbas at 4.10pm, it closed at 4, but the look on my face convinced the staff of my desperate need for tea. 

Fortified, I tackled the remaining crosswind section to Milton Abbas in fine fettle and was pushed up the long drag to Bulbarrow, where darkness began to take over.  It was fully dark by the time I got to Gold Hill.  I would have been overtaken by the boy in the Hovis Advert but I kept upright.  Having a cafe open was a godsend, although I was getting really weary and struggled to eat my omelette.

The first half of the night section was great, pushed along by the wind, making good time.  Riding past Longleat House in the dark was epic.  Then I misread my Garmin and ended up doing an involuntary circuit of Longleat, adding a couple of miles before getting to a point where I thought "this hill looks familiar".  It was.  Hill 23/26 was ridden twice.  So be it.  I was getting empty, but a Spar shop was still open in Frome, and I was able to get a couple of bottles of milkshake, one to overcome the impending bonk and one for later.

The two tunnels were brilliant, far better than labouring over the hill, but then we had the gratuitous ascent of Lansdown Hill.  It was raining properly, water running down the road, but I was determined to get up this last challenge.  Glaciers have been known to move faster.  I misread the Garmin again and found my way onto the A420.  The Garmin spend ages trying to send me down blind alleys and so I got almost to the inner ring road, check my iPhone and found my way the last half mile back to the Felix Road Adventure Playground. 

I've only once taken longer over a 300, the Cambrian 3C when I started at 11.30pm in Carmarthen (and got lost on my own permanent), but it was worth it.  Thanks Will and crew for organising.  Am going to see how I feel over the next couple of days before committing to the Exe Barnstaple Branch.  I need to get my head around the 4am start and probable 6am finish.

« Reply #17 on: 13 March, 2022, 11:27:54 am »
 :thumbsup: Nice one

Being a Dorset lad, and having grown up (briefly) on Portland, and (mostly) in between the monster hills you describe, I can vouch for the toughness.  Portland is astoundingly bleak, even in summer, and it is bleak on the causeway to and from. Those big climbs ("the hardest bit of the Hard Boiled") were obligatory if I wanted to head anywhere ather than North or south as a teenage rider. I haven't done them for years but they are etched into my soul.

I ummed and ahh'd about doing this ride, but decided against it on account of the date. I reckon it would be lovely in early June. As it happens I booked myself onto Barry's Ball Buster today, but woke up just not feeling like it, with a runny nose. Turns out I've got covid, so glad not to have been out with you yesterday.

Well done, again.

« Reply #18 on: 13 March, 2022, 12:16:53 pm »
Great write up Colin, glad you 'enjoyed it'.  :thumbsup: It ws good to see everyone back and I welcomed the feedback on Lansdown Lane...  :demon:

If you could add that as a review to my site it'd be much appreciated. https://www.pedalution.co.uk/events/bills-easton-connection-300/#review

Hot Flatus I was booked onto the BUTT Buster (PC innit?) today too. But having finally got home at 4.30am I decided a beer was in order and forfeited my Pavlova quota!

« Reply #19 on: 13 March, 2022, 06:45:27 pm »
Yeah, pavlova can't make up for zero sleep, however much you try. A wise choice given the blustery winds too.