Author Topic: Man of Kent 200k, 2020 edition DEFERRED!!  (Read 16680 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Man of Kent 200k, 18th March.
« Reply #25 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:14:39 am »
I don't do ECE but I've ridden to the start for the last few times I've done this one. That means setting off at around 3am.

Nah... I'll be driving to the start this time. A flat 200 will be quite enough of a challenge for me at the moment, especially if that forecast is to be believed.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:21:50 am »
Romney Marsh will be a challenge with that forecast!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:57:59 am »
I've ridden the perm a couple of times in subzero temperature; roads are generally clear apart from Lughorse Lane if it's been wet. Wind direction looks a lot better than last year.

citoyen

Re: Man of Kent 200k, 18th March. **POSTPONED RESCHEDULED 8 APRIL**
« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:15:56 am »
Postponed to 8th April.

It's been snowing heavily in East Kent this morning but not settling - the roads seem clear. Probably looks like decent riding conditions if you're Bernard Hinault or Andy Hampsten, but I doubt many people would turn up tomorrow if it went ahead, so postponing it is the sensible option.

« Reply #29 on: 17 March, 2018, 11:36:24 am »
I would have been a DNS had it gone ahead.  Cant make it on 8th April either though.

« Reply #30 on: 17 March, 2018, 12:31:58 pm »
Postponed to 8th April.

It's been snowing heavily in East Kent this morning but not settling - the roads seem clear. Probably looks like decent riding conditions if you're Bernard Hinault or Andy Hampsten, but I doubt many people would turn up tomorrow if it went ahead, so postponing it is the sensible option.

Will you be allowing people to sign up to the new date? I might be able to make it now.

Man of Kent 200k, 18th March. -POSTPONED!!!!
« Reply #31 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »
This event has been postponed due to the adverse weather conditions in Kent with snow already falling and an amber weather warning in place running until late tomorrow.

A provisional plan B was put in place last night which AUK have now approved so I can confirm the event has been rescheduled to Sunday April 8th. Anyone who hasn't entered this event already may now do so via the AUK website (until the ride reaches capacity)

If you are genuinely unable to ride on April 8th free entry into one of my permanents anytime during 2018 will be available on the proviso I am contacted before the end of March.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #32 on: 17 March, 2018, 06:49:38 pm »
A very sound decision - as the accounts coming in from The Dean today confirm. Even if the overnight snow has stopped falling by morning, many of the lanes will be treacherous. (Some of them aren't that good in the best of weather!)  I know that we are all on a private excursion, etc, but were I organising an event I would still feel a degree of responsibility if a rider were to injure him or herself as a consequence letting an event go on in the face of very bad weather.

I hope MoK will still be able to cover all of his costs if he has to pay extra to re-book the hall.  If not, perhaps an "honesty box" at the arrivee?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #33 on: 17 March, 2018, 07:59:09 pm »
A very sound decision - as the accounts coming in from The Dean today confirm. Even if the overnight snow has stopped falling by morning, many of the lanes will be treacherous. (Some of them aren't that good in the best of weather!)  I know that we are all on a private excursion, etc, but were I organising an event I would still feel a degree of responsibility if a rider were to injure him or herself as a consequence letting an event go on in the face of very bad weather.

I hope MoK will still be able to cover all of his costs if he has to pay extra to re-book the hall.  If not, perhaps an "honesty box" at the arrivee?

I am very fortunate that the person who looks after Golden Green Mission Hall is very supportive of my events and has agreed to reschedule the booking to the revised date. The commercial controls have also been very accommodating and the Vicarage is available too:-)

Martin

« Reply #34 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:12:52 pm »
Thanks for the update MoK; looking forward to the revised date ;)

« Reply #35 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:15:32 pm »
I thought the first was 2009 and I rode the 2nd one as my first

I'll be there as always, a highlight of the year for me to herald in the spring.

Just noticed this and indeed the 2009 edition was the first one. The event didn't run in 2015 hence 2018 is the 9th edition. I'm mulling over ideas for a special 10th Anniversary ride in 2019!

« Reply #36 on: 18 March, 2018, 03:37:41 pm »

Definitely the right decision. Although most of the snow has landed a bit more North of Tonbridge it is very unpredictable. We are actually having a blizzard in Rochester at 3.30 pm!

Re: Man of Kent 200k, 18th March. -POSTPONED!!!!
« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2018, 06:47:13 am »
This event has been postponed due to the adverse weather conditions in Kent with snow already falling and an amber weather warning in place running until late tomorrow.

A provisional plan B was put in place last night which AUK have now approved so I can confirm the event has been rescheduled to Sunday April 8th. Anyone who hasn't entered this event already may now do so via the AUK website (until the ride reaches capacity)

Weather rescheduled events are only permitted for original participants!! NOT extra entries or has the rule been relaxed/changed

Re: Man of Kent 200k, 18th March.**POSTPONED UNTIL APRIL 8**
« Reply #38 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:07:26 am »
I have entered for the new date.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #39 on: 19 March, 2018, 09:32:01 am »
I have entered for the new date.
And me... I had planned to ride but had a date clash with The Dean. I'm carless on Sundays so will camp near the start on Saturday night.

Man of Kent 200k, 18th March.**POSTPONED UNTIL APRIL 8**
« Reply #40 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:07:29 pm »
Great day out plus the weather was brilliant after 11am! I heard it was chucking it down all day in London. Great to see familiar faces and still managed a respectable time despite my lack of fitness. Not mucking about at the controls certainly helped but boy those flat bits for the last 80km went on forever!!!

Martin

« Reply #41 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:12:38 am »
Full-ish value ride for me but a great ride as always; even managed to see one of the steam trains arrive and depart at New Romney

Thanks MoK, family and Bob

« Reply #42 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:16:36 am »
Just as last year, this year I couldn't find the first Faversham control...apparently it is just a detached house, no matter how hard I looked for signage, I couldn't spot it :(

Nonetheless, a good day out, left the hall at 8AM, spent most of the day by myself and came back at 4:40PM.

Man of Kent 200k, 18th March.**POSTPONED UNTIL APRIL 8**
« Reply #43 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:51:15 am »
There were tons of bikes around the house. It’s half way down on the road as you turn left from the station.

citoyen

« Reply #44 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:55:18 am »
Didn't really fancy getting out of bed yesterday morning, especially when I saw how hard it was raining outside, but I'm glad I did. Found it all rather hard work, which is hardly surprising given my lack of condition, but I got round OK. Actually made reasonably good time, which is at least partly down to not lingering at controls. Legs feel surprisingly not too bad today. Really need to rack up a few more miles if I'm going to be in any kind of shape for the West Highland 1K though.

Rode with Redlight OTP for much of the time as far as Wingham but didn't see him after that until I got back to the finish. I'll let him tell the story...

Thanks to MoK and helpers - especially for standing outside in the rain at Faversham to do the catering.

citoyen

« Reply #45 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:56:36 am »
There were tons of bikes around the house. It’s half way down on the road as you turn left from the station.

If iZaP was back at the finish by 4.40pm, I suspect there wouldn't have been that many other bikes at Faversham when he got there.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #46 on: 09 April, 2018, 10:01:53 am »
Great day out yesterday. A bit mis early on but that passed and after that it was mostly fine. Surprisingly fast route with just one hill that troubled my 83". One for the speed freaks (which counts me out, obs), but "I'll be back". :)

« Reply #47 on: 09 April, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »
I had a great day, ECE'd there and back for a 300. Out the flat at 4.45am, back at 11pm. Feeling it today!

« Reply #48 on: 09 April, 2018, 01:37:09 pm »
I too had a great day out. A good route with large parts new to me. Would be even better on a dry day!

Much respect to Niki and friends, my legs were glad it was over after 200k.

Thanks to MoK, Bob and all the helpers.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #49 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »
Rode with Redlight OTP for much of the time as far as Wingham but didn't see him after that until I got back to the finish. I'll let him tell the story...

It'll take me a while to live this weekend down.  To provide some context - I had planned to join the Night Ride to the Coast out to Whitstable on Friday evening but a mix-up over the rendezvous time at Greenwich left me fruitlessly trying to catch up with the group which was already an hour ahead, despite not being entirely sure which route they were taking.  A puncture on the dirt track that is laughably called NCN1 alongside the River Cray added to my lateness and I eventually gave up just after Dartford and meandered home with my tail, metaphorically, between my legs, 80km done around the less attractive outreaches of SE London, but looking forward to a more successful day out yesterday.

The ride started badly as I had a protracted fight with my (still relatively new to me) Garmin, meaning that I was barely a kilometre from the start 20 minutes after everyone else had disappeared into the distance, but I managed to get my pace up, pass a few riders and hooked up with Citoyen somewhere near Kingswood.  A little further on, he pointed out that one of the side pockets of my Carradice was undone and, stopping to close it, I noticed that my pen had fallen out somewhere along the way.  It was only when we got to the second control at Wingham, where I was planning to buy a snack, that I realised that my wallet had gone with it.

As I contemplated attempting to continue the ride with no money to buy food along the way, my phone pinged with a text message from an unknown number. My wallet had been found by someone out walking his dog in Lughorse Lane, a notoriously rough stretch of single track just past Yalding that we had passed through just 9km from the start. He'd be home all afternoon if I'd like to pop in a collect it. 

I decided to abandon the ride and head back to Yalding, navigating from village to village, relying on my memory of riding the earlier version of the MoK route that didn't include the loop up to Faversham.

My memory is not that good.

Cutting a long, and meandering, story short, a few hours, two replaced inner tubes and one replaced front tyre later, I found myself hurtling back down Hunton Hill towards Yalding. My energy level was about as low as it could get - not helped by the long, long, drag up to Charing along the way - and I was beginning to feel light headed and slightly disoriented. The man with the wallet lived at the Yalding end of Lughorse Lane. I collected it with excessive gratitude and set off again. Here, my brain turned to mush. Instead of riding down the hill into Yalding, I headed back along Lughorse Lane, following the outbound route again. I realised this at Hunton Hill, and descended once again into Yalding. A voice in my head was telling me that we had passed through Wateringbury on the way out so I followed the signs for that. Except we hadn't, so when I got there I was even more confused. 

A group of four riders passed me. One had a saddlebag - they must be on the ride, I thought, so I followed them.  At the first junction, they turned towards Maidstone. I was alert enough to realise that couldn't be right as the opposite direction was signposted Tonbridge, which I knew to be in the general vicinity of the Arrivee.  A horrible ride down the A26 took me to Hadlow, at which point I spotted a sign for Golden Green just a mile and a quarter away.  I think it was about 5.30 when I rolled in, muttering nonsensically, and finally got some food inside me.  A little while later, in came Citoyen, who was polite enough not to look too surprised to see me there before him  ;).

So, a weekend of failed rides. But I console myself with the knowledge that, despite DNF the 200, I still somehow ended up riding 182km on the day, which meant that it was worth getting out of bed in the first place.

My next ride may be in a velodrome. Can't get too lost there...
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?